• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Lunch in London

Some cousins of mine will probably want to take me to lunch on a Saturday, after a visit to the British Museum. They are based respectively in West Kensington and north of Regents Park.

St. John's, Tayyab, and the Guinea Grill seem to be closed for Saturday lunch. Since I will be their guest, in all likelihood, and we will be a party of about six - young child included - I do not want to suggest anything too dear.

I am hoping to do Tayyab and/or St. John for dinner, my two nights, with a slight preference for Tayyab, if I have only one night free. So my inclination would not be Indian for lunch. For various reasons Italian, Chinese, and Japanese won't work either.

Good English would be the best choice, if my hosts can bear the thought.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Take away Italian, Chinese, Indian and Japanese. Divide by "not expensive" and multiply by "near to the BM". The restaurant you first thought of is  Fino.

We must have very different measures for "too dear".

Perhaps try cafe at the Institute of British Architects on Portland Place: Open for lunch, British-ish theme, nice room and a fairly-priced menu, plus you'll get kudos from the rellies by knowing about somewhere semi-secret.

Other choices would be The Bountiful Cow (steak house in a Holburn pub refit; passable food, don't know how they do with kids though), or the Court restaurant in the British Museum itself (not as cheap or as good as you'd hope, but not as expensive or as bad as you'd fear).

Take away Italian, Chinese, Indian and Japanese. Divide by "not expensive" and multiply by "near to the BM". The restaurant you first thought of is  Fino.

We must have very different measures for "too dear".

Maybe, but its hardly Pied a Terre (also in the vicinity) prices is it?

Maybe, but its hardly Pied a Terre (also in the vicinity) prices is it?

I'm sure the discussion about what constitutes good value in London has been covered in depth elsewhere. But to summarise my own thoughts: while I have no problem stumping up £5 per scallop at Fino, my father would choke on his chicken kiev at the prospect. When dining in large groups, particularly with a split bill and kids in tow, I usually make a point of assuming that not everyone will share my idea of appropriate ratios when it comes to price, quantity and quality. Hence I tend to side with somewhere like Little Bay rather than Fino. It saves awkwardness.

Having said that, just noticed on the Fino website that they have good set-lunch options that max out at £30 including drinks. Still, I'd think twice before bringing a kid to a whitewashed basement for lunch. And I'd argue that Salt Yard, just up the road, gives more bang for less buck (although is Italian-ish, so rules istelf out).

Edited by naebody (log)

Actually heard from the rellies and they are pro-Persian so I think we will all go to Patogh near the Edgeware Rd. Well-recommended and much cheaper than the alternatives which I will save for other occasions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may wind up with Persian for lunch and Punjabi for dinner, but since neither is abundant or necessarily good nearby where I normally hang out in the States, I will survive.

Edited by VivreManger (log)