• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

During the last 10 or so years the phenomenon of the "Celebrity Chef" has established itself in the mainstream of western media. Even before the TV Food Network there was a moderate following of the chefs of notable establishments. Now that the network has taken hold, the concept of a Celebrity Chef has broadened to the point that people only peripherally involved in the restaurant business are becoming famous.

What are your opinions on this turn of events. Is it possible for a working chef to maintain celebrity status and still be an effective force in the kitchen? How do you feel about the various commentators, food writers and other Food Network hangers-ons being considered celebreties connected to cooking and fine dining?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Mark,

I simply don't know the answer to that because it raises more issues than I can answer. Get back to me in ten years and I'll tell you what I know.

Of course I'd like to take the high road, the Robuchon route, bury my head in the wok and concentrate on what I know. Worked well for Robuchon, not that I'm comparing myself, but the point is made to make a larger: Can a chef and a restaurant be successful in today's market without that chef being some kind of notable. Especially in New York, especially now. Robuchon became a star purely on his talent and dedication to craft. I doubt I could do that, and I doubt any young chef starting out on his or her own right now could either.

So I'm kind of walking the fine line, accepting offers to promote our name and Blue Hill, and keeping focused on each piece of bass I saute.

I think, to answer directly, it's a question of degree. I want to be in the trenches, so to speak, sweating and lifting on the line, and if I can also promote the package without selling my soul I'm going to take every opportunity I can.

I've learned one thing: the lights and the camera are intoxicating and difficult to resist.