• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stainless steel pedestal dishes

hzrt8w

I am reading an article about the Chinese dining experience in New York. In the article, it said:

[...]Dinner started with ribs, followed by entrees like war hoo hip har and moo goo gai pan. They arrived on stainless steel pedestal dishes with matching covers. [...]

Oh, yeah, those stainless steel pedestal dishes in Chinese restaurants... It seems so... 60's?

For 20 some years of my life growing up in Hong Kong, I had only seen those stainless steel pedestal dishes used in formal banquets (not in restaurants for the commons). Even then, food was served on top of some porcelain dishes, which themselves were seated on top of the stainless steel pedestal dishes (as if like a candle holder). Never once had I seen food served directly on stainless steel pedestal dishes.

And, of course, I got a minor shock when I first saw that in California in the 80's.

Does anybody know if the stainless steel pedestal dishes (or metallic pedestal dishes) were traditionally used in China? Or they are something that got started in the new world? Do you still see them used in modern day Chinese restaurants?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

HeeHee -- I was going to say it was so 30s, 40s, 50s!!

Aeons ago I'd seen them in restaurant supply places.

But I can't remember when the last time was that I'd seen them in use. I will say that it was in the last 10 to 15 years, as I remember thinking to myself --- oh-look!

I've seem them most frequently growing up in the 70s, less so these days. Don't really remember a cover, though. Some restaurants, both in New York and Philly, still use them. The food was never served directly in the dishes, but on a smaller porcelain dish that fits inside. I've also seen them in restaurant supply stores. Could it be a West coast/east coast thing?

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Could it be a West coast/east coast thing?

Could also be a Michigan thing. That's where and how we were served restaurant Chinese food in the 60's/70's. They had covers, but no interior dishes were used, as I remember scraping the last of the lobster sauce directly from the stainless steel pedestal bottom. :smile:

Aw, maybe it's time for a comeback?

I've seem them most frequently growing up in the 70s, less so these days. Don't really remember a cover, though.  Some restaurants, both in New York and Philly, still use them.  The food was never served directly in the dishes, but on a smaller porcelain dish that fits inside.  I've also seen them in restaurant supply stores.  Could it be a West coast/east coast thing?

Not necessarily. I clearly remember those pedestal dishes from Chinese restaurants of my youth in the suburbs of New York City. Complete with the lids, and no porcelain dish between the food and the metal. As a kid I thought it was a fun game to be constantly lifting and replacing the lids to get at the food. :smile:

I've seem them most frequently growing up in the 70s, less so these days. Don't really remember a cover, though.  Some restaurants, both in New York and Philly, still use them.  The food was never served directly in the dishes, but on a smaller porcelain dish that fits inside.  I've also seen them in restaurant supply stores.  Could it be a West coast/east coast thing?

Not necessarily. I clearly remember those pedestal dishes from Chinese restaurants of my youth in the suburbs of New York City. Complete with the lids, and no porcelain dish between the food and the metal. As a kid I thought it was a fun game to be constantly lifting and replacing the lids to get at the food. :smile:

My bad, fellow duck. My memory has been getting spottier as each year goes by. Now that you mention it, I do remember scraping the sauce from the bottom of the serving dish. Darn that old age. You'd think I'd remember something as important as that.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

When my brother, uncle, cousins and I opened our place (largest in the province at the time), we wanted to go first class so we bought 200 real sterling silver casseroles with the glass inserts to be used as individual serving dishes. Damned things cost us a fortune, about $30/ea. in 1963 dollars. In 18 months we had only 100 sets left, all due to theft. I once caught 2 "ladies who lunch," wives of doctors, trying to leave with one each in shopping bags. I should have let them go as neither lady and their families ever came back. They were good customers only trying to build their own "collection". After 2 years, we switched to the SS pedestal dishes, no liners. Horrible things :angry: