• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robot cookware?

andiesenji

Popular Science April issue has a brief blurb on this induction cooktop with "robot" cookware.

Vita Craft

I like induction ranges but I can't see the advantage of this. And what if my cell phone decided to change the temperature setting on my omelet pan... Potential problems.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can already see arguments with the equipment. "No, confounditall, I want *blackened* fish!"

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can already see arguments with the equipment.  "No, confounditall, I want *blackened* fish!"

Exactly! I have had enough problems with some of my "programmable" appliances.

I use bread makers for mixing and kneading dough, but not for baking. I have several and most have worked quite well, ever since the first Zo I got in the 80s.

However the one I bought most recently (Breadman Ultimate Dream) would keep resetting itself to the regular program at the two-minute mark after starting after I had carefull set the mixing and kneading "dough only" program and it would begin heating.

I had the feeling that the machine had decided it was smarter than me..... Not in MY kitchen..

I was so furious I took the machine, still holding the dough, and its box and stuff, to the store where I had purchased it and insisted on showing them what it was doing wrong. It did the same thing and when the clerk (who was demonstrating the machine at the time I purchased it) tried to reset it, it wouldn't accept any input at all. It was unplugged and allowed to stand for a few minutes, then plugged in and the same thing happened. The clerk said she was ready to beat the thing with a club. She got another one out of a box, plugged it in and transferred the pan from the first one, along with its load of dough into the new one and set it for the dough setting.

Not a problem, it worked exactly as it should and it has worked just fine each time. It has a larger capacity than the others, which is why I wanted it.

I know the faulty one did not get cleaned up and resold to someone else. The clerk broke the hinges that hold the lid while I was still at the store.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just what I need:  a backseat driver for my kitchen. :blink:

Yes, now that you mention it, this may be the last "improvement" that will allow me to get rid of the ol' ball and chain, if I can get appliances that second-guess me. No, wait...I'll still need someone to tell me how to drive. :rolleyes:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

My husband talked me into getting a "safety" gas range while his brother was living with us, as he was very keen on cooking his own lunch, but not able to be totally responsible about safety.

Despite a 4,000cal+ burner, stir-fries are namby-pambied by "regulated" temperatures into sloshy piles of wilted stuff, and stews turn themselves off automatically in the early stages.

The spirit these "safety" measures arouse in me practically enables me to sear food with the flames from my tongue and the sparks from my burning eyes!

P.S. It's handy for tempura, I have to admit it.

Edited by helenjp (log)