• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amada - which dishes would travel well?

kretch

I'm in town for a week and had plans to check out Amada. For personal reasons a proper visit isn't in the cards but I called there last night to confirm that they can arrange for take-out; they said that's no problem, so that's the new plan.

However, I don't know what Amada's signature dishes are, or more importantly what would travel well in a cab. Anyone want to suggest a mess of courses that would? The more the better, especially given that it's tapas.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Tom

Edited by kretch (log)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

i could make some recommendations based on their on-line menu and what i know of spanish cuisine and cooking, but other people who have actually been there could probably weigh in on the specifics.

give it a shot, sailor. btw, you wanna grab a beer or something this week? i'm around. and i need to check out ansill, if you're game.

i could make some recommendations based on their on-line menu and what i know of spanish cuisine and cooking, but other people who have actually been there could probably weigh in on the specifics.

give it a shot, sailor. btw, you wanna grab a beer or something this week? i'm around. and i need to check out ansill, if you're game.

As one fortunate enough to have been there a while back, I would suggest reviewing the thead on Amada here http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=76511&st=80 and scrolling down to Philadining's wonderful pictures with comments from all those who were there that night.

I rarely say this, but we were all (11 of us) hard pressed to find anything that was even a little bad. Food was consistantly top quality with obvious high end ingredients carefully put together and delivered by competent waitstaff.

If it's going to get packaged-up and carried, I'd just avoid some of the stuff that would have textural issues, like the cocas (flatbreads) or croquettes, etc that would likely just get soggy.

Some of the delicate seafood might not make the journey in great shape, but I'd think many of their offerings would be just fine. You really might ask them when you order, see if they have advice for what to avoid or get for sure.

From a recent visit I made, I think:

PULPO CALLEGO / Spanish Octopus,

PATATAS BRAVAS / Spicy Potatoes,

PIQUILLOS RELLENOS / Crab-Stuffed Peppers,

MELON CON JAMON / Serrano Ham & Cantelope

PERNIL ASADO / Roasted Pork, White Beans, Arugula and Orange

would all be fine even cooled-off a bit. They're better hot and fresh, but they'd still be tasty not quite as hot, a few minutes later...

A Tortilla Espanola is often served at room temperature, so I expect it would be good no matter how long your cab ride is. Same with any of the charcuterie or cheeses, they're not going to be any worse for wear unless you let them dry out for many hours before eating them.

Everybody's really nice there, I'd just order what looks good and ask them if any of what you ordered seemed like a bad idea for takeout.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

PULPO CALLEGO / Spanish Octopus,

PATATAS BRAVAS / Spicy Potatoes,

PIQUILLOS RELLENOS / Crab-Stuffed Peppers,

MELON CON JAMON / Serrano Ham & Cantelope

PERNIL ASADO / Roasted Pork, White Beans, Arugula and Orange

A Tortilla Espanola is often served at room temperature, so I expect it would be good no matter how long your cab ride is. Same with any of the charcuterie or cheeses, they're not going to be any worse for wear unless you let them dry out for many hours before eating them.

Thanks, this is really very helpful! Of course I just looked at those pics in the other thread and now I'm wondering about getting one of those pigs carved up and packed up for takeout. ;)

Edited by kretch (log)

...I'm wondering about getting one of those pigs carved up and packed up for takeout. ;)

Couldn't blame you! But more practically, an order or two of the Pernil Asado gets you that same great roasted pork with crispy skin, and you can order the sides alone too.

But it's certainly more dramatic to lug a whole little pig into the taxi...

philadining.com

Don't take any of the fried stuff. Patatas bravas or either of the croquettas wouldn't hold up well. And I think the Pulpo Gallego would get rubbery if it sat around too long. Likewise, the Gambas al Ajillo needs to be eaten while the shrimp is in the boiling garlic oil, not after it's congealed.

Take charcuterie meats and cheeses. Take grilled items from the Plancha section of the menu. Take the roast pork or any of the other items from the meat section. Veggie sides should be fine as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Those are good points, Katie.

I just mentioned the Patatas and the Pulpo because on that saturday dinner I had a while back, we had a case of the over-polite, "you have it" "oh, no, YOU have it" syndrome, so we had a few things laying around for well over an hour, and you know, the patatas and the pulpo were just fine. Yes, of course they were better right when they arrived, and ours weren't packaged-up, steaming themselves, but they were surprisingly good even after a while had passed.

But in general, I'm sure you're right: fried stuff, seafood that tends to get rubbery, might not be the best for takeout.

philadining.com

Don't take any of the fried stuff.  Patatas bravas or either of the croquettas wouldn't hold up well.  And I think the Pulpo Gallego would get rubbery if it sat around too long.  Likewise, the Gambas al Ajillo needs to be eaten while the shrimp is in the boiling garlic oil, not after it's congealed.

Take charcuterie meats and cheeses.  Take grilled items from the Plancha section of the menu.  Take the roast pork or any of the other items from the meat section.  Veggie sides should be fine as well.

Thanks! I'm not going to be going too far so I think I'll give the Pulpo a shot.

Thanks! I'm not going to be going too far so I think I'll give the Pulpo a shot.

Hell, eat the fried stuff in the cab and bring everything else home..... just thinking like a foodie is all.....

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

Tom:

Any chance you can stop in for lunch? I'd be delighted to take you through the tapas on the lunch menu. If you're around this week just come in between 11:30AM-2:30PM and I'd be happy to be your guide.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Don't take any of the fried stuff.  Patatas bravas or either of the croquettas wouldn't hold up well.  And I think the Pulpo Gallego would get rubbery if it sat around too long.  Likewise, the Gambas al Ajillo needs to be eaten while the shrimp is in the boiling garlic oil, not after it's congealed.

Take charcuterie meats and cheeses.  Take grilled items from the Plancha section of the menu.  Take the roast pork or any of the other items from the meat section.  Veggie sides should be fine as well.

if it doesn't work out for you i have a can of goya pulpo here in my closet.

if it doesn't work out for you i have a can of goya pulpo here in my closet.

Yo James! Can I just say EWWWWWWWW to the canned octopus?

WTF were you thinking, man? Dude!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Tom:

Any chance you can stop in for lunch?  I'd be delighted to take you through the tapas on the lunch menu.  If you're around this week just come in between 11:30AM-2:30PM and I'd be happy to be your guide.

Thanks Katie, that's very kind of you. I actually do have plans to be in Old City early tomorrow afternoon so if at all possible, I'll be sure to stop in and ask for you!

Tom