• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rodizio 2?

Jeff L

Glad you started this thread up again. It reminds me of how good the food was there and the overall experience.

Anyone game for doing another dinner there?

Twist my arm, Jeff...

Maybe the week of 10/22? (Monthly payday for my day job is 10/25, and I should have some change from resume work in my pocket as of 10/20. I also have an ulterior motive for suggesting this week.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Glad you started this thread up again. It reminds me of how good the food was there and the overall experience.

Anyone game for doing another dinner there?

Twist my arm, Jeff...

Maybe the week of 10/22? (Monthly payday for my day job is 10/25, and I should have some change from resume work in my pocket as of 10/20. I also have an ulterior motive for suggesting this week.)

Any other takers, please pm or email me. Sandy, I think that week will work for me too

With a conflict on Wednesday, I'm happy about the change. I haven't seen the gang in a while and I want to share about that tasting menu I had in Chicago the other evening...

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff L organized a small group for dinner yesterday.

Photo's and his comments on MarketStEl's blog.

Jeff and I were there early so we had a fine chat about food and life and food. We agreed that most suburban restaurants suck, we miss StudioKitchen, we enjoy the DDC, and that Trenton tomato pies, especially DeLorenzo's, rock. Life is good for both of us, and I assured him that Alinea is all that.

When Saxchik and Matt arrived, we got busy.

The fresh pineapple and the shortrib were my favorites at the buffet table; the unpictured pork sausage was a great starter from the skewer parade. The brisket was tough, but I finished mine anyway. Later in the meal, I wouldn't have. The sirloin, pork loin, pineapple and flank steak were my favorites, in no particular order.

We all struggled to walk out of there. Still, I think the full monty is much preferable to buying by the pound, but I'd feel differently if I lived in the neighborhood. With all that meat, you want to eat it straight from the skewer.

We dropped Sandy at his eponymous transport (nobody calls it the blue line, he says) and returned to the land of mostly sucky reasturants. Thanks again for the ride, M&L.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I had a great time at meat 2, although I actually preferred the quality of meat 1. I tasted little to no salt at all on the various cuts of meat unlike the first visit. I really like the high salt content it just gives the meat more flavor to me.

I agree with Charlie about the short ribs. They were quite tasty followed by really good pork ribs. I didn't much care for the brisket as it was way too dry. This cut requires slow roasting on low temps vs spit fired. I liked the chicken with bacon a lot and will try to replicate this at home on my smoker some day. The top sirloin came out perfectly blood rare, just as I requested it. Very tasty, my favorite of the night followed closely by the flank steak. I'd really kill for the marinade recipe (Jim, are you reading this-great one for the next book) My quava was perfect ending to this endless meatathon.

Charlie, I enjoyed seeing you again and it was nice meeting Matt and Lauren. Sandy, great coverage in your always evolving food blog!

• 3 months later...

I tried Fogo de Chao yesterday with my wife and a friend from NYC and we found it spectacular. It was much more expensive than Picanha ($57 dollars per person versus ~30 at Picanha) but I have to say it was wonderful. Fogo had a better variety of meats that were slightly better than Picanha's, the dining room is much more elegant and the service better, and the buffet table (a big deal in Brazilian barbeque, not an afterthought) was stunning and much better than Picanha's, which to my mind falls short in this area. I love Picanha and I love their staff and owners and I am a cheap avaricious person who hates chains, but nevertheless I thought Fogo de Chao is a welcome addition to the Philadelphia scene, one of the few chain representatives that has a place here aand we will return, as soon as we digest this meal in a few months...

I tried Fogo de Chao yesterday with my wife and a friend from NYC and we found it spectacular. It was much more expensive than Picanha ($57 dollars per person versus ~30 at Picanha) but I have to say it was wonderful. Fogo had a better variety of meats that were slightly better than Picanha's, the dining room is much more elegant and the service better, and the buffet table (a big deal in Brazilian barbeque, not an afterthought) was stunning and much better than Picanha's, which to my mind falls short in this area. I love Picanha and I love their staff and owners and I am a cheap avaricious person who hates chains, but nevertheless I thought Fogo de Chao is a welcome addition to the Philadelphia scene, one of the few chain representatives that has a place here aand we will return, as soon as we digest this meal in a few months...

I would have been distressed indeed if the buffet table at Fogo de Chao had been no better than that at Picanha Grill. For what they charge, they should have at least fancier stuff, if not outright better quality.

(Next time you're at Picanha, take a look at the bottled salad dressings. They're a brand you've never heard of unless, like me, you have shopped at Save-a-Lot. There's a Save-a-Lot in the block to the south of Picanha Grill.)

Sounds like I need to do lunch at Fogo sometime after the 25th of an upcoming month.

I've eaten at the Fogo in Houston.If the Philly place is the same, you will love it. The "salad bar" is an artful arrangement of fresh and pickled vegetables, cheese, smoked fish and a few soups (one of which looks like sludge...I couldn't bring myself to taste it). Wine list has the big names (eg Silver Oak Napa 01) at big name prices. Wandering waiters bring the meats when you give them the OK.

Given the amount and tastyness of everything, I'd suggest going hungry and planning to take the time to spend a leisurely evening or afternoon there with friends.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Pinchana tonight. While the salad bar here is not as good as fogo"s the meat is better and Pinchana has lowered the price to 17 a person so you have to consider that (after over 200 at Tinto earlier that is a deal).

This place is close to where I live so I try to go twice a month, sometimes the gaucho does every thing welldone but the dude tonight was spot on temp-wise.

They had the sirloin, top sirloin, flank, lamb loin, leg of lamb, shortribs, a bunch of sausages and chicken hearts .All really good tonight.

Oh yeah, have you guys ever senn that snl skit where the greek restaurant guys are going "more juice, you lika da juice" the gaucho kept coming to our table saying "more beef, more chicken heart you lika the chicken heart"

We were one of only three tables on a monday night so this is a good time to go.

Oh yeah try the cashew fruit drink next time you go, that is good drinkin.

Just kidding about that Tinto, I know how some of y'all get about that.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Went to Pinchana tonight. While the salad bar here is not as good as fogo"s the meat is better and Pinchana has lowered the price to 17 a person so you have to consider that (after over 200 at Tinto earlier that is a deal).

This place is close to where I live so I try to go twice a month, sometimes the gaucho does every thing welldone but the dude tonight was spot on temp-wise.

They had the sirloin, top sirloin, flank, lamb loin, leg of lamb, shortribs, a bunch of sausages and chicken hearts .All really good tonight.

I thought it was the best deal around when it was $21 p.p. At $17 it's a no brainer. Picanha's meats were more flavorful than Brasilia Grill in Newark. They use copius amounts of salt that I really like with very little present at Brasilia.

While I was generally unimpressed with the salad bar, the meat is really why you should go for rodizio. My other complaint is that I too seemed to get a fair amount of well done meat, lots of it, but well done. I really don't like well done but I didn't want to wait for the next round. This place is fun and well worth going to as outlined in several posts upthread.

We have gone with our boys (ages 4 and 6) a couple times over the past 2 weeks, and it has been excellent each time. we typically go Saturday at around 5:30 and it is not yet crowded. we order by the pound, and have paid around $60 for 4 with tip. the kids enjoy the fresh fruit from the salad bar, as well as the cuts of beef.

I thought it was the best deal around when it was $21 p.p. At $17 it's a no brainer. Picanha's meats were more flavorful than Brasilia Grill in Newark. They use copius amounts of salt that I really like with very little present at Brasilia.

While I was generally unimpressed with the salad bar, the meat is really why you should go for rodizio. My other complaint is that I too seemed to get a fair amount of well done meat, lots of it, but well done. I really don't like well done but I didn't want to wait for the next round. This place is fun and well worth going to as outlined in several posts upthread.

Sounds like it's time for another visit, especially at that new low price!

I can bring wine this time, I swear!

The salad bar is most definitely a sideshow. But hey, they probably have to cut corners somewhere to keep the prices down. (Bottled dressing from the Save-a-Lot in the next block, for instance.) As long as the meat is good and plentiful; that's what counts.

Oh, and maybe a Portuguese speaker to translate what's on TV Globo. :wink:

The salad bar is most definitely a sideshow.  But hey, they probably have to cut corners somewhere to keep the prices down.  (Bottled dressing from the Save-a-Lot in the next block, for instance.)  As long as the meat is good and plentiful; that's what counts.

Agreed, although how much salad does one want to eat at what amounts to an AYCE meateria? The tomato/onion/herb salad is very good, and the black beans over rice are also quite tasty. The salad bar rotates hot dishes as well, usually of undiscernable meat origin, but I never have more than a 1/2 plate before tackling the meats...

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Agreed, although how much salad does one want to eat at what amounts to an AYCE meateria?  The tomato/onion/herb salad is very good, and the black beans over rice are also quite tasty.  The salad bar rotates hot dishes as well, usually of undiscernable meat origin, but I never have more than a 1/2 plate before tackling the meats...

are those pig ears in the black beans?

Edited by jmbrightman (log)

Sounds like it's time for another visit, especially at that new low price!

I can bring wine this time, I swear!

OK Sandy I'll hold you to it! Let me know when - I'm ready for this one again.

Probably not until after April 10. I'm off to Seattle and San Francisco for a week starting 4/3. (Ask me for a photo of my niece. Go ahead, ask me.)

I'll post and PM once I get back.

Going tonight, Just passed by the joint and the skinny guy that does temps was manning the grill.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Going tonight, Just passed by the joint and the skinny guy that does temps was manning the grill.

Let us know if the meats were cooked at the proper temps. Proper temps for me are rare and even med rare. Last time we went it seemed that there were more than a few really well done, no likey well done.

Let us know if the meats were cooked at the proper temps. Proper temps for me are rare and even med rare. Last time we went it seemed that there were more than a few really well done, no likey well done.

do you tell the guy manning the grill you want the meat pink? when I tell him the pinker the better, that is what he pulls off the grill for me.

do you tell the guy manning the grill you want the meat pink?  when I tell him the pinker the better, that is what he pulls off the grill for me.

No since every time I've gone there I get the all you can eat deal. I might rethink this approach in light of what you've just mentioned though.

There is a bit of a language barrier with some of the servers there. That is to say I speak zero Portugese and they speak little English. I suppose I might have a word with one of the guys that I remembered spoke English pretty well and tell him my preference and ask if it would be possible to get rarer meats.