• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Requesting thoughts on anejo rum

Hello,

I'm new to the Ministry. Love the wide variety of opinions present. Keep it up!

I've recently acquired a few bottles of some inexpensive botteles of anejo rum from Central and South America, which include:

Ron Centenario Anejo Especial (Costa Rica)

Ron Abuelo (Panama)

Santa Theresa Ron Anejo (Venezuela)

I know an anejo is a blended rum, a facination concept to me. I tried tasting them straight and found 2 of the three harsh on the palette. :hmmm: They don't seem to be meant for sipping. So much for a tasting party.

If these bottles or other anejo bottles ended up in your lap to keep, what would you do with them? How would you intially taste it and decide how to best compliment it? What would you optimally decide to mix it with, if you went that route?

Thanks for any and all opinions. :smile:

Orange or Pineapple Juice are good mixers for Rum, or just make a bunch of Rum and Cokes and give me a Call. :wink:

The First Day I would try it with Cola, then a few days later try a couple of drinks with different juices to find the best taste.

Some times I also like to Blend different Rums with Coke to find that Ultimate Drink.

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

Anejo means old or aged. Most rums are blends of different batches and years if I'm not mistaken. Many time the age listed on the bottle it the oldest rum in the blend. If you are a bourbon drinker this might seem foreign.

If I had these rums I would first try them neat, then with a splash of water and then over ice. If there were not drinkable, then they become mixing rums or give aways.