• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite sushi restaurant?

scarlet knight

The Jingle Inn. Little place off of 46 on the other side of China 46. Consistently excellent sushi, as well as other 'cooked' items.

Friends are regulars there, and I eat there on occasion. Always good to very good. Never tried the oysters. I believe they are opening up in Englewood soon as his rent has skyrocketed. The owner was part of Sushi Lounge in Hoboken and opened up The Jingle a few years ago. It was some roadside bar before he took over, kept the name for some odd reason. Each time I go I am reminded how good sushi can be!

hmmm. well, if the jingle inn is anything more than a seedy dive offering discounts on raw seafood ("1/2 price sushi and oysters is not usually a selling point for me) then they should get themselves a website. and they should probably change their name if it is in fact a hold over from the days when the building was a seedy dive.

separately, when your parking lot can only fit about 4 cars, i have to question the turnover on the raw food. perhaps that explains the 1/2 price?

Edited by tommy (log)

hmmm.  well, if the jingle inn is anything more than a seedy dive offering discounts on raw seafood ("1/2 price sushi and oysters is not usually a selling point for me) then they should get themselves a website.  and they should probably change their name if it is in fact a hold over from the days when the building was a seedy dive.

separately, when your parking lot can only fit about 4 cars, i have to question the turnover on the raw food.  perhaps that explains the 1/2 price?

The parking lot goes around the building and holds many more cars. They have a very steady regular clientelle. The waitstaff and owner seem to know most of the people that come in on the occasions that I was there. I have only gone in the evening, and there isn't any special half price anything at that time. I don't know when those specials apply. As for the name...well...not a big deal? Inside it is far from a dive....not my style per se, but an average restaurant decor. Tommy, dissing a place you have never been to or seen inside..not like you.

jwjojo, i'm not dissing the place. i'm questioning their apparent lack of website, their decision to keep the name of the dive that preceded it, and the policy of 1/2 price raw seafood. by doing this i'm stimulating discussion, which will ultimately help me in my decision to try the place or not. i'm leaning towards trying it, given your comments, and those of others. thanks!

if they had a website i would think my fears would be abated.

jwjojo, i'm not dissing the place. i'm questioning their apparent lack of website, their decision to keep the name of the dive that preceded it, and the policy of 1/2 price raw seafood. by doing this i'm stimulating discussion, which will ultimately help me in my decision to try the place or not. i'm leaning towards trying it, given your comments, and those of others. thanks!

Tommy, if you go, I hope you are not disappointed. I have enjoyed their food each and everytime I have visited. However, I am far from a sushi expert. You will have to let us know your thoughts.

Tommy, if you go, I hope you are not disappointed.  I have enjoyed their food each and everytime I have visited.  However, I am far from a sushi expert.  You will have to let us know your thoughts.

well jeez, jwjojo, you've built it up in my mind so much at this point!!! :biggrin:

jwjojo, i'm not dissing the place.  i'm questioning their apparent lack of website, their decision to keep the name of the dive that preceded it, and the policy of 1/2 price raw seafood.  by doing this i'm stimulating discussion, which will ultimately help me in my decision to try the place or not.  i'm leaning towards trying it, given your comments, and those of others.  thanks!

if they had a website i would think my fears would be abated.

Its actually quite nice inside and as I've eaten there several times and can live to tell the tale, that should avert your fears enough.

Jingle Inn is managed by a Chinese guy who has run sushi restaurants in the past -- he was hired by the owner to transform Jingle Inn from a dive bar into a nice sushi restaurant. The owner, however, absolutely refuses to change the name of the place, for some bizarre reason.

I keep meaning to go back there but there's a lot of good sushi places in the area and we almost always end up at China 46 if we are heading in that direction.

The place, BTW, has a full liquor license.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Its actually quite nice inside and as I've eaten there several times and can live to tell the tale, that should avert your fears enough.

i don't know if there's a polite way of saying that the fact that you have eaten there a lived really doesn't do much to instill me with confidence. :laugh:

i'm truly fascinated by the lack of name change. i can't help but think there's something else at work here. time to dig deeper.

i'm truly fascinated by the lack of name change.  i can't help but think there's something else at work here.  time to dig deeper.

As I said my friends are regulars and friendly with the owner of the restaurant. Seems the owner of the building is a bit of a jerk...has many issues. He would not let the name change, and has made the rent so high that he may not be staying in that location..I think they are moving to Englewood. Nothing really to dig into..that is the whole story. But dig if you must. Let us know if you find any bones.

i don't know if there's a polite way of saying that the fact that you have eaten there a lived really doesn't do much to instill me with confidence. :laugh:

I've always felt that me personally surviving a dining experience counts as a huge plus in the possibility of return visits department, but okay.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I haven't sampled many in the area yet (just got here in September).  Been to Dai Kichi a few times with friends.  I like the food overall but found the sushi just okay.  But this past Friday we checked out a place I'd read about in the Maplewood forum.  Apparently they just relocated a few months ago from South Orange to Little Falls. 

It's called Tomo's Cuisine, it's a tiny place with GREAT sushi.  The yellowtail and eel were quite good, as was the chicken yakitori appetizer (luscious sauce), but the real standouts for us were the specials we tried:  the best toro I've ever had, bar none.  Pale, flecked, and incredibly mouth-tender.  So, so good.  Also a thin-sliced fluke sashimi served with ponzu.  Delicate and delicious.  My husband flipped over this and he's not normally a sashimi fan.  It was so amazing we got two orders. 

I've been missing the hole-in-the-wall fabulous sushi places of Los Angeles.  Americanized Japanese restaurants have their place, certainly, and fusion is good, but this was the real deal and it made me so happy. 

What didn't make me happy:  when we arrived at 6:30 on a Friday, the place was EMPTY.  People didn't start coming till we left around 8. The waitress said that people in the area (Little Falls and Wayne, I guess) are kind of suspicious of the Japanese writing on the specials board (they post everything in Japanese and English) and the slightly exotic choices (live shrimp, I think?) and instead choose to go up the block to Sukuroku, a more American-style place.  So they're still getting the bulk of their business from Maplewood/South Orange folk who miss the restaurant and make the trek on weekends. 

If you like sushi and live in the area, I hope you'll give it a try.  It should be obvious from my post that I have no affiliation with the place, I simply want to see a high quality sushi place stick around for a long, long time.  I don't think I've ever felt personally concerned about a restaurant's survival before!  The service was good and the food was great, and I hope they make it, but boy do they need to expand their customer base!

Tomo's Cuisine

113 Route 23 (Pompton Ave -- I think it's called Newark Pompton Highway right there)

Little Falls, NJ 07424

(973) 837-1117

It's south of the Willowbrook Mall, about a block south of Main Street on the west side of the street.  It's a small stand-alone building set back from the street, with a white (I think) sign out front.  Parking in back (we didn't discover it till after we'd parked way up the block and walked a long way in the cold).  Hours: Lunch: Tu-Fri 12-2:30, Dinner Tu-Th 5-10, Fri & Sat 5-10:30, Sun 5-9.

Looking forward to hearing about other good sushi around here. How are Aozora and Nouveau Sushi?  I haven't been yet because we nearly always bring our 7 year old son and I wasn't sure if they'd be too upscale for a kid (he's a good restaurant-goer, but still...).

Thanks Tamar, for the recommendation for Tomo's Cuisine. I went there tonight and have to say I was really impressed. That was definitely some of the best sushi I've had locally. I've been looking for someplace close by and that really hit it on the mark.

The oysters in ponzu were excellent as were the deep-fried shrimp heads. The sushi was really fresh and of top quality. I can't wait to try their specials, they seem to have quite a bit of them on the board.

Had dinner tonight at Tomo's, but first, I have to tell you how very weird it was to read about it on eG. Less than 2 weeks ago, one of my co-workers was RAVING about this place. He and his family used to live in South Orange, and he told me the whole story about the hole-in-the-wall that was S.O.'s best kept secret, and how they had moved to Little Falls and the clientele followed. I PM'd Rosie to ask if she was aware of it (no) and BOOM! People start posting about the place. SO bizarre! But in a good way. :laugh:

So...I met a friend and b/c it's Friday and it's Lent, she was crossing off lots of my suggestions. Then I realized that sushi was the answer! The amusing thing, though, is that she and I are alike--we've both tried all kinds of fish, but only like a couple of them. So it was a tuna-fest for us tonight. Started with edamame and some of the best veggie tempura I've ever had, and then the miso soup arrived. Definitely the best bowl of miso I've tasted, and I ate all of it, including the tofu cubes--very rare for me. She got tuna rolls, and I ordered the Tekka Dju (?), which was a bento box with sashimi, tuna over sushi rice, and a half of a roll with cucumber and tuna. The ginger was white, and very spicy--which I loved. Tea was included, and the bill before tip was $42. We will definitely be back with friends who can truly appreciate some REALLY fresh sushi!

P.S. Tamar, thanks for perfect directions! The sign on the building is indeed white; it has large Japanese letters with Tomo's Cuisine written underneath it.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

It's funny. I passed Tomo's on the way to a business meeting in Hackensack on Tuesday. I noticed it and I thought to myself: it's so close to Sukeroku, which is one of the oldest, most established Japanese restaurants around.

Also, as a former Cedar Grove resident, I don't think the demographics cry out for sushi the way it would in Montclair or Hoboken. I was concerned about Tomo's future. I'm glad to hear that it's so good.

We will go there soon.

We do have the chance to go on Sunday. Does anyone else worry about ordering fish and/or sushi on a Sunday due to the unlikelihood that the restaurant will receive a fresh delivery of fish on a Sunday? Or am I being overly cautious?

Here's a place in Mahwah in Bergen County I really like.

Nagoya

1007 MacArthur Boulevard, Mahwah

(201) 818-9933

Nagoya replaces the excellent Oyama restaurant. The fare here is traditional Japanese (teriyaki, tempura, and noodle dishes) as well as sushi, sashimi, and hand rolls. Seafood and vegetables predominate, but there is a smattering of beef, chicken, and pork. Everything we tried was fresh, tasty, and attractively presented. The decor is lovely and relaxing.

(sorry for the commercial). The owner and his assistants have a traditional sushi bar and everything is made to order. Every trip I make to the area, I stop in.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

Does anyone else worry about ordering fish and/or sushi on a Sunday due to the unlikelihood that the restaurant will receive a fresh delivery of fish on a Sunday? Or am I being overly cautious?

Fwiw, my co-worker told me that on occasion they would go to the old location of Tomo's and find a sign saying something to the effect of "Closed--no good fish." He just stressed over and over again that if Tomo didn't approve of the fish when he went to buy it, he refused to serve it.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Does anyone else worry about ordering fish and/or sushi on a Sunday due to the unlikelihood that the restaurant will receive a fresh delivery of fish on a Sunday? Or am I being overly cautious?

Fwiw, my co-worker told me that on occasion they would go to the old location of Tomo's and find a sign saying something to the effect of "Closed--no good fish." He just stressed over and over again that if Tomo didn't approve of the fish when he went to buy it, he refused to serve it.

Unless my memory fails me, most good restaurants first freeze their tuna and some of the other fish to kill any worms, etc, that happen to naturally live there. I'm really not afraid of Sushi on a Sunday...I used to be afraid of Sushi on a Monday.

i don't think the restaurants are doing the freezing, but i'm pretty sure it happens at some point in the supply chain.

i've never had "bad" fish on sunday or monday. while i won't go out of my way to order fish on monday, i do think that the "no fish on monday" rule is a little blown out of proportion. i'll continue to order fish on sunday, and monday at times, until i get some bad fish. frankly i've never noticed a difference.

considering top sushi and seafood restaurants are often open on monday, and since top restaurants serve fish on monday, i have to think that other factors are need to be taken into consideration, and they're probably the same as the factors you'd consider when choosing to eat anywhere, any day of the week.

Edited by tommy (log)

i don't think the restaurants are doing the freezing, but i'm pretty sure it happens at some point in the supply chain.

i've never had "bad" fish on sunday or monday.  while i won't go out of my way to order fish on monday, i do think that the "no fish on monday" rule is a little blown out of proportion.  i'll continue to order fish on sunday, and monday at times, until i get some bad fish.  frankly i've never noticed a difference.

considering top sushi and seafood restaurants are often open on monday, and since top restaurants serve fish on monday, i have to think that other factors are need to be taken into consideration, and they're probably the same as the factors you'd consider when choosing to eat anywhere, any day of the week.

Exactly, that is why I used to be afraid of Sushi on monday. No more. I'll eat it 7 days a week!

FYI...The Jingle Inn did close, and will be reopening in Englewood within the month. 

They must have heard Tommy was coming. :wink::laugh:

Damn, like Englewood doesn't have enough sushi places.... Wild Ginger, Daruma, Sangria Sake.. Kuma... just to name a few

• 3 weeks later...
Right now for me its got to be a tie between Daruma in Englewood and Sakura Bana in Ridgewood. I also like Zen in Livingston.

I've heard good things about Samurai in Millburn. Anyone been yet?

We went to Samurai Sushi with my parents last night. As others have commented elsewhere, the place was very crowded, but there was no unpleasant fish smell. In fact, I had Chirashi, and the fish was perfectly fresh and beautifully presented. I loved the furikaki sprinked over the rice (under the fish). My parents both had hot food, beef negimaki and teriyaki duck; the platters came out of the kitchen with the sauces sizzling vigorously. Jason had some specialty roll, those are expensive, but huge. Looked good, but I stuck to my dish. We had also ordered oshitashi as an appetizer and I loved the way they presented it. The marinated spinach was rolled and cut like maki, which I thought was quite clever. We'll be back, but I do recommend weekdays and reservations, because it was packed even on a Wednesday night.

Right now, my favorite sushi place is Miyagi in Washington Township (the one next to Paramus... I think there are about 3 WT's in NJ) Their website is http://www.miyagi2.com Good fresh stuff, family owned & operated & you can order off their website with free delivery if you're in the area.

Edited for there, their & they're. I should have known better.

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)