• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad Spinners

ray goud

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a metal salad spinner? I need one of a normal size, manually driven, not some behemoth a Vegas hotel might use. I have been looking for at least ten years without luck. I regularly break the plastic ones, including the OXO good grips one (on the second try!). Plastic is not acceptable.

Thanks,

Ray Goud

We're stuck with plastic because production is so much cheaper. But some companies could look at long term life of plastics with moving parts or possible impact. Plastic gears wear out, and many parts become brittle with age. And yet some (Canon EOS and Blackberry are two I have) are built for the long run. Is there a salad spinner like this? I have yet to see one, and it would cost more if it were available.

I don't know what he's doing, but I've replaced my OXO salad spinner about once a year. One time it got smashed in an overloaded pot drawer and the clear plastic bowl cracked. Another time I dropped it and ditto. The rubber ring on the bottom of the bowl or the bowl itself usually gets warped if you wash it in the dishwasher, and then it doesn't fit right. I get around this by cutting the circle of the rubber ring, it will then stay in place better (but with an inconsequential gap). I still buy the OXO one, because I find it best for drying lettuce. It's relatively cheap, so not a big deal to replace once a year.

I wish that it was a case of carelessness causing the failure of the plastic spinners, but instead it's just because I REALLY get the things spinning fast. The faster one spins, the drier the greens get. I build furniture by hand for a living, and I guess I'm a little stronger than normal.

The pull cord ones last a couple of weeks, then the little knob comes off, and I use a spoon to wrap the end of the cord around to get a purchase.

Plastic being cheaper is no real excuse because there still are people willing to pay more for a better product. And if it's built in the third world, it will also be less expensive (you should see the Chinese furniture coming into the country).

Thanks for the thoughts, though. No one has identified a metal one yet; probably doesn't exist.

Ray

Yesterday I thought I had hit paydirt for you, Ray, as I spotted a stainless steel salad spinner in Home Outfitters. Alas, a closer look revealed that the inner basket was plastic. I can't imagine a stainless steel basket as the racket would surely be deafening.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday I thought I had hit paydirt for you, Ray, as I spotted a stainless steel salad spinner in Home Outfitters.  Alas, a closer look revealed that the inner basket was plastic.  I can't imagine a stainless steel basket as the racket would surely be deafening.

Thanks, Anna! I'll Google Home Outfitters to see if the inner mechanism is metal. One can compromise, can't I?

Ray