• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese delivery

brescd01

If you can refer me to a previous thread, feel free. We live at 20th and South. A stranger in a beauty parlor recommended Jiojio's (sic?) Chinese. We tried it that very night and I am being generous if I call it "below average." Tonight we ordered from Manderin Palace. A very good curry soup was followed by fair dumplings and then nauseating other dishes, another failure. I remember one or two people recommending Square on Square (we couldn't find its number before I ordered), and we will try it next time. Anyone else?

Edited by brescd01 (log)

Cherie, you might mean Square on Square at 19th and Chestnut. Szechuan Hunan is on 20th between Locust and Spruce.

More interestingly, SH is also apparently where Laban regularly picks up Chinese, because it's his kids' favorite, or so I'm told.

Edited by kretch (log)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

Cherie, you might mean Square on Square at 19th and Chestnut. Szechuan Hunan is on 20th between Locust and Spruce.

More interestingly, SH is also apparently where Laban regularly picks up Chinese, because it's his kids' favorite, or so I'm told.

Yeh, Szechuan Hunan. It is between Locust and Spruce. Sorry about that, I always get it delivered. They are pretty quick, the food is always hot, and it is consistant. I live in Fairmount also which is a bit of trek for them and I have no complaints.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anybody has more ideas about good Chinese delivery in Philadelphia.

Our go-to Chinese delivery is Szechuan Tasty House. They're fast and reliable, but at this point I pretty much have their menu memorized. I'd like some variety. Any recommendations?

For standard non-Chinatown Chinese food I'm quite fond of Golden Empress Garden on 5th Street just below South. They're extremely friendly, the food is fresh and well prepared, and almost everything is available in vegetarian form as well as standard proteins. And because they have a large vegetarian clientele, the veggie dishes are really good. This is the best Chinese outside of Chinatown IMO, and it's close to home and they deliver quickly and efficiently. It's in your 'hood too. :wink:

Golden Empress Garden

610 S 5th St

(215) 627-7666

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol