• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Meal, Philly Style

Tim Dolan

However you start it, it ends with Commissary carrot cake.

Oh yeah, or their "Killer Cake"....

What? Where? Details, please.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

However you start it, it ends with Commissary carrot cake.

Oh yeah, or their "Killer Cake"....

What? Where? Details, please.

The Commissary's "Killer Cake" put me into many sugar comas back in the 80s... It's in the (excellent) Frog Commissary Cookbook. And I think it still shows up on Frog-Commissary Catering menus from time to time.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

If anybody in Philly served fugu, I'd go there. Then for dessert, anything I could find called "death by chocolate." If there was still time before the paralysis set in from the fugu, I'd throw up and do it again.

Or, I could just look at the pictures from the Studio Kitchen threads.

all this talk of DeLorenzo's had me salivating, and a Saturday night middle-school play in Newtown was the perfect excuse for a trip to Trenton (they make, I take...). Even at 5:15 PM , there was a 15 minute wait for a table (Hamilton locale), but the 'za was excellent as usual. Their white pizza does not top Tacconelli's but their red pie is as good as it gets...

Definitely belongs on the "last meal list"

I belch, therefore, I ate...

all this talk of DeLorenzo's had me salivating, and a Saturday night middle-school play in Newtown was the perfect excuse for a trip to Trenton (they make, I take...).  Even at 5:15 PM , there was a 15 minute wait for a table (Hamilton locale), but the 'za was excellent as usual.  Their white pizza does not top Tacconelli's but their red pie is as good as it gets...

Why didn't you go to the Hudson Street one? Much better than Hamilton Avenue, both red and white, not even close.

As someone who has lived in the Trenton area for over fifty years and first visited the Hudson Street DeLorenzo's more than forty years ago and still go when I have the patience, which is not very often.

Anyway, getting in on a Saturday evening is nearly impossible.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

As someone who has lived in the Trenton area for over fifty years and first visited the Hudson Street DeLorenzo's more than forty years ago and still go when I have the patience, which is not very often.

Anyway, getting in on a Saturday evening is nearly impossible.

Agreed, Saturday night requires extreme patience. Little know fact is you can go there for lunch on Friday provided you call ahead for a reservation. You tell them how many people, what time you'd like and what type pies you want. You show up and the pizza is there to greet you. Pretty cool, I go quite often and I have been going for over forty years too.

all this talk of DeLorenzo's had me salivating, and a Saturday night middle-school play in Newtown was the perfect excuse for a trip to Trenton (they make, I take...).  Even at 5:15 PM , there was a 15 minute wait for a table (Hamilton locale), but the 'za was excellent as usual.  Their white pizza does not top Tacconelli's but their red pie is as good as it gets...

Why didn't you go to the Hudson Street one? Much better than Hamilton Avenue, both red and white, not even close.

it was on a whim and I know how to get to the Hamilton Ave locale... never been to the Hudson one, but read that there are fewer seats and I figured it was not worth the hassle since I had to be in Newtown by 7:15.

I will be sure to go to the Hudson locale (on a weeknight.)

I belch, therefore, I ate...

it was on a whim and I know how to get to the Hamilton Ave locale... never been to the Hudson one, but read that there are fewer seats and I figured it was not worth the hassle since I had to be in Newtown by 7:15.

I will be sure to go to the Hudson locale (on a weeknight.)

Oh, not that the one on Hamilton is bad, just not nearly as good as the one on Hudson.

Easy to get to: Take Clinton to Hamilton Avenue and turn left, then take Hamilton Avenue to Hudson street and turn right. Go down about 6 blocks on Hudson and it is on the left. Worth the trip really for both plain tomato and white clam pie. Weeknights are the best times though for sure.

• 2 months later...
I would have to have the chicken fingers from Good Dog.  I am a HUGE fan of the chicken fingers.  Any place I go I always make it a point to get an order.  So needless to say I've had my fair share and the best I've come across are at Good Dog.  They're wrapped in ham then nicely breaded, served wtih the most tasty mystery sauce.  If you ever go to sample their Good Dog Burger DEFINITELY make it a point to get the fingers as an app.!!!!!

hi there nicole--welcome to the PA forum.

wrapped in ham, eh?

YES! it's a real thin slice but it is so delicious!!! :biggrin:

When I was posting on the Studiokitchen thread I wrote that the rib-eye looked so good I would make it my last meal before being sentenced to death. Hopefully I'll never be in such a situation, but it got me thinking; what would really be the last thing I ate in Philly? ... what would it be for you?

I am actually facing the situation of moving from philadelphia in a few weeks so this has been on my mind!

I am sure my last meal will be at Southwark, accompanied by a pint of resurrection

But I'm considering the following:

A bowl of the catfish pho and a cafe sua da at the pho place next to Nam phuong on 11th at Washington

Vegetarian Banh Mi at the first place off Washington on 8th

Sushi at Morimoto, but a cocktail first at Jones

tatiana

Cheesesteak at Mama's, 'nuf said! 'Tho since they won't allow BYO, it'd be take out so I could have a Rosenblum Zin to go wid.

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei