• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for dinner

gourmand2

I was hoping to get a recommendation for a restaurant in the Monmouth Cty area (preferably near or in Freehold, Red Bank, Fair Haven, or Howell). I need to purchase a gift certificate for a business associate that did me a favor so the restaurant does need to offer those. He's a pretty casual guy, but I would like a "nice" comfortable atmosphere, and it would probably be best if it has a liquor license.

So far I've had a few recommendations - Citrus, Nauvoo Grill & Dish. Does anyone know anything about these places or have any other options? My associate is not really a "foodie" (so nothing too exotic), but he enjoys good simple food.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Out of the three I think Dish is the best, although they are BYO. Food at Nauvoo Grill is suspect, although I have had better meals at recent parties there so they may have made some changes recently.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

For good, simple food my vote would be Dish in Red Bank. Although they are BYO, they sound like the type of restaurant your business associate would like.

Citrus is not as "comfortable" or as simple, and I have no knowledge of N. Grill.

Dish, however, can get cramped. The same can be said, however, for many restaurants in the Red Bank area.

In Fair Haven, Le Fandy is a good option. It's also a BYO as are many establishments in the area. Tough to get a liquor license.

Main Street Bistro in Freehold is another good option - alas BYO too.

Here's my take on the recommendations so far. And I must say that it amazes me how different in many instances my views are.

I've never been a fan of Doris & Ed's because I think the quality of the food is not worth the high expense. They do have a liquor license. We had several meals at Spargo's before giving up since none was more than just o.k. Main St. Bistro is another place we wanted to like, but after several tries, we stopped going because the food quality is inconsistent and the noise level can be horrendous. Our one dinner at Citrus was very disappointing. Nauvoo has a liquor license; however, while my one meal there was pretty good, and it's a spectacular looking place, from the mixed reports I've read, I think it's too iffy for a gift certificate. Dish's food is excellent, but tables are very closely spaced, the noise level gets annoyingly high when the room is full, they take reservations only during the week, there's no room to wait comfortably, and it's BYO.

My suggestion would be SamVera, in Marlboro (10 minutes north of Freehold). Basic Italian, very well-executed and delicious. Liquor license. Good service. Attractive, comfortable atmospherics. Casual dress. They have gift certificates.

Although the food can not be classfied as simple, I reccomend without hesitation, Brandl in Belmar. I have suggested the restaurant to half a dozen friends and all have reported back that they adore it.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I haven't been to Le Fandy since the new chef/owner took over but I am hearing good things about it. Unfortunately the lack of waiting space, etc is still a big problem. If you go there I would suggest stopping in at the bar at the Raven and Peach just down the road for a drink first (or after since it is one of my favorite places for an after dinner drink)

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!