• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moroccan olives ?

Junior

I have a recipe that calls for using Morccan olives.  Can anybody tell me what they are similar to ? Or even what they are ?

In my experience, Moroccan olives, as usually called for in a recipe, are a dry cured black olive. I would look for any dry cured black olive as a substitute. I have seen both Italian and French varieties.

In the States, I see them at Whole Foods Market and some other upscale grocers. You might want to try Zingerman's Deli

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

There was some discussion about Moroccan olives and appropriate substitutes in the Moroccan Tagine cooking thread. (This link takes you to the first post where we started discussing olive types.) Which olive you use (whether the dry-cured olive mentioned above, or another) might depend on what recipe you're cooking. Can you tell us more about the recipe?

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

the recipe is a preserved lemon and olive stuffed chicken and another recipe that calls for them to by themselves. It's good to know the subistute is a dry cured olive.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

The most popular green olive in Morocco for cooking is the picholine variety. If you can't find it then by all means ue the manzanilla.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.