• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Titanium cookware

maxmillan

I'm considering buying cookware made with titanium. I don't know if it's lined with titanium or fully titanium. I saw a set of these at a show but hesitate to buy them due to the high price and they are not available at any stores.

During the demo the guy cooked eggs, burned milk and it slid off the pan with no sticking. You can put it in an oven even with the handle. It retains heat very well and thus cooks well even on an electric range. Thus the heat is evenly distributed.

The smallest pan, approximately 7-inches, costs over $150 and weighs about two pounds are more. So you can imagine how much the larger cookware with the lid costs. You can only order it by mail or at shows wherever they happen to be. The only difference is that you don't have to pay for handling fee, which is quite hefty due to the heavy weight of these cookwares.

I want a good non-stick pan and wonder if titanium is worth the price tag. I understand that a treated cast iron pan is just as good and can last as long, except that it's so much cheaper. Forget the Teflon, the bisphenol is not worth the health risk.

Any comments or knowledge on the titanium pans versus cast iron?

Thanks.

I can't imagine titanium being as good as conductor of heat as cast iron. I mean, isn't it specifically used in aerospace for that particular reason?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I thought it was used mainly for it's strength/hardness and light weight.

Actually for its lightweightness is more so than its hardness, which is why you see Titanium in steel alloys as opposed to pure Titanium. Its a pretty brittle metal, actually.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Titanium's thermal conductivity is significantly lower than iron's and vastly lower than aluminum or copper. For you All-Clad fans out there, Steel performs poorly, as well. Chart here.

I am skeptical of most expensive new cooking technology, but one kick-ass everlasting non-stick to do fish on might be worth an investment.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm considering buying cookware made with titanium.  I don't know if it's lined with titanium or fully titanium.  I saw a set of these at a show but hesitate to buy them due to the high price and they are not available at any stores.

During the demo the guy cooked eggs, burned milk and it slid off the pan with no sticking.  You can put it in an oven even with the handle.  It retains heat very well and thus cooks well even on an electric range.  Thus the heat is evenly distributed.

The smallest pan, approximately 7-inches, costs over $150 and weighs about two pounds are more.  So you can imagine how much the larger cookware with the lid costs.  You can only order it by mail or at shows wherever they happen to be.  The only difference is that you don't have to pay for handling fee, which is quite hefty due to the heavy weight of these cookwares.

I want a good non-stick pan and wonder if titanium is worth the price tag.  I understand that a treated cast iron pan is just as good and can last as long, except that it's so much cheaper.  Forget the Teflon, the bisphenol is not worth the health risk.

Any comments or knowledge on the titanium pans versus cast iron?

Thanks.

Could it be the pans had a no-stick surface reinforced with titanium? This is becoming more common now, and I see it in Nordic and Lagostina wares. Some come with long warranties, but there is usually a disclaimer for abuse or accidental surface damage.

When you mention 7" at 2lb or more, the lightness of a titanium alloy is not making a significant weight loss.

I would do a lot of comparison shopping before getting something from an exclusive demo show. The mark up, commission, and space rent will all be quite high.

The Scanpan titanium non-stick has been around for some time and costs about $50..

Scanpan

Most people I know who have the Scanpan cookware are quite happy with it.

Titanium cookware was originally developed for backpacker, mountaineers, where weight is a consideration. Some of the stuff was so brittle that it would break even if lightly struck against a rock. Back to the drawing board for the makers and there are now some reasonably priced pieces that are more durable.

I have seen the demonstrations of the very expensive "titanium" cookware and personally I do not believe it is worth the cost. Friends who purchased a set for almost a grand, after seeing it demonstrated at a "private, limited entry" gathering advertised on an L.A. radio station, found that it did not perform as well on their cooktop at home. They attempted to return it within the alloted time but were told there was a 40% restocking fee so ended up keeping the set but are very disappointed with it. It is non-stick but also develops hot spots which was very evident when cooking an omelet in a frypan. When she attempted to fry three eggs, one was overdone while the other two were just setting up.

Anolon also has some titanium cookware at reasonable prices.

Here is "pure" titanium cookware - this is quite thin and lightweight.

titanium cookware

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks to everyone for your reply. Looks like I'm NOT getting the titanium cookware. However, I have seen treated cast-iron pans on sale at my local hardware store and it looks like a better deal. The weight is of little concern to me. I basically want a non-stick cookware that will last and will not emit any harmful chemicals.

BTW, here is the site for the titanium cookware that were demonstrated at the show: www.Titaniumexclusive.com

To correct my earlier post, the chemical emitted from a heated Teflon cookware is perfluoroocanic acid (PFOA.)

The bisphenol chemical is emitted from Nalgen plastics.

I basically want a non-stick cookware that will last and will not emit any harmful chemicals.

Just get a decent quality PTFE-coated frypan. Whatever is being sold at a deep discount.

No nonstick surface will last forever, and I am not aware of any nonstick coating that emits "harmful chemicals."

--

DuPont vs. EPA

Teflon issues

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett