• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Beers

SBonner

Just wondering if any of you have had any amazing chocolate beers lately. In the past three months we have had three while travelling overseas. In London, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, at Redoak Brewing in Sydney Australia (Chocolate Cherry Stout) and in Barcelona (Xocoa beer). All tasty and unusual. Our favourite to date was the Redoak Chocolate Stout with it's rich and creamy texture and flavours of Black Forest Cake :smile:

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Brooklyn Brewery in NYC has a Black Chocolate Stout, although I'm not a fan. (Many are.)

Not all beers that use the word "Chocolate" in the name or description contain actual chocolate. "Chocolate" also refers to a type of malted barley that is roasted to the color of chocolate -aka "chocolate malt" (which sounds like something one should order down at the shake shop or drive-in)- other malts include "crystal malt" and "black patent malt" (which does NOT contain Catholic school girls' shoes). In addition, the multiple flavors that roasted grains and the sugars that result after processing often includes ones that can be described as "chocolate".

F'r'instance- from the site you cite- "We use three mashes to brew each batch of this beer, achieving a luscious deep dark chocolate flavor through a blend of specially roasted malts."

I agree that with some many brewers now adding actual chocolate, it is confusing. (Much like some "Oyster Stouts" that now longer contain oysters/shells, but are said to "go well with oysters"). Surprised that, in the US particularly, that the labeling police aren't as concerned with the word's usage as they are (were?) with terms like "barleywine".

A small write up of a couple Chocolate-ish beers in yesterday's SF Chronicle Wine section:

Life's just a bock of chocolate

The article makes it sound like the Sam Adams Chocolate bock has Scharffen Berger chocolate in it.

edit - Yep, according to this webpage, Sam Adams "ages the beer on a bed of cocoa nibs".

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just wondering if any of you have had any amazing chocolate beers lately. In the past three months we have had three while travelling overseas. In London, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, at Redoak Brewing in Sydney Australia (Chocolate Cherry Stout) and in Barcelona (Xocoa beer). All tasty and unusual. Our favourite to date was the Redoak Chocolate Stout with it's rich and creamy texture and flavours of Black Forest Cake :smile:

I don't know if you've had Phillips Chocolate Porter, but you should be able to find at the specialty LDBs in Vancouver (it's obviously widely available on the island). They use chocolate to make it, so it actually tastes like chocolate, where I find that many other "chocolate" beers taste more like powdery cocoa.