• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nusantara Asian Cusine

Capri

A welcomed addition to Morris Plains....

Nusantara Asian Cuisine just opened up last Tuesday in the Powder Mill Plaza West where Johnathon's Deli/Restaurant is, not to mention in the same spot where La Campagna in Morristown originally started over 10 years ago or so!

Anyway, after picking up a menu and peeking inside yesterday afternoon, we decided to have dinner there last night. Their menu states that they serve Malaysian, Indonesian, Chinese and Thai. They say that their specialty is Indonesian as the chef is from Bali! Classy Asian decor - heavy, teak wooden chairs and tables, (which are all from Bali), glazing on walls, prints, statues, lanterns, etc. Staff is very nice, personable, eager to talk to their customers & to check on how everything is...a very welcoming feeling!

Menu: Interesting mix of the 4 ethnic groups stated above. We had Lumpiang Shandhai- fried spring rolls, Roti Canai-pancakes w/curry chicken sauce and Tofu Delight- stuffed and w/peanut sauce. All excellent, yet they were out of a few apps. that sounded more interesting. For Dinner, we had Chicken Rica-Rica - grilled chicken in chili, lime leaf & ginger sauce and Balinese Chicken - broiled with a chili and tomato sauce. Both very spicy, yet very flavorful. Great seafood selection in which I would try next time. Dessert: Dadar- coconut pancakes with a sweet filling. As a matter of fact, they will be opening up a bakery next door which will sell Asian & European pastries..should be interesting!

So, if you happen to be in the Morris Plains area and need a change from Penang in East Hanover or Thai Chef in Denville try this place - you may also be pleasantly surprised!

Nusantara Asian Cuisine

Powder Mill Plaza West

2920 Route 10

Morris Plains 973-889-1608

P.S. Open Mondays

Thank God, I drool reading Tommy & The Perlow's glowing reviews of ethnic Bergen County food without having something similar in Morris Co. I happen to like the Thai restaurant in Randolph next to J.T. McQ's and Frank's Pizza in the shopping center where Part City used to be. As far as sushi in Morris Co, Nikko is the best

Lou, Lou, Lou... There are many "ethnic" asian places to go to in your area. Remember we lived there until last year. The place you are thinking of on Rt. 10, is that Pearl of Siam? It is OK, but we preferred Sirin in Morristown or New Main Taste in Chatham better for Thai food.

We would be interested in trying Nusantara some time when we are in the area, but, Rosie, we prefer Penang on Rt 10 to A Taste of Asia (we've only eaten at the one in Chatham), which seemed like fancy "gourmet" Chinese to us, and not worth the wait for the table.

As for sushi, Lou, check out Nagano on Washington St in Morristown (upstairs across from where Cinque Figlie used to be, current landmark would be Grand Cafe I guess).

As for Vietnamese, well, you'll have to drive to Nutley (Little Saigon) or Jersey City (Saigon Cafe, Miss Saigon) like we used to. If you do decide to come all the way up here (it's only about 45 minutes), we'll meet you at Saigon Republic in Englewood.

Taste of Asia pricer than most Thai or Chinese. Was not impressed with the quality of their food. Thai Den in Denville is also pretty good - owned by the same owner as Thai Chef in Montclair but is the size of Thai Chef when it originally opened. When I was there it was not too crowded unlike the heavy crowds in Montclair.

taste of asia is malaysian. personally, i don't care for malaysian food, as to me it's a horrible hybrid of indian and chinese, but many people find taste of asia quite good. i thought it was ok. i enjoyed the mom and pop aspect of it. the owner was running the front room in montclair the times i went. i'm not sure what he's doing now that they have 2.

and considering it was BYO, i found the price inoffensive.

Rachel, you are correct, it is Pearl of Siam. It seems Nusantara looks at Penang as their main competition. I stopped in Tues night and grabbed some quick to go. I talked to Alan the owner who also told me about the bakery next door. He said the baker is incredible and " it's something that will blow everyone's mind". Had a late lunch that day so I had the Natantara soup which is a Japapanese style soup with tumeric seasoning which was very different but delicious. Two apps followed, Lumpiang Shanghai, which are spring rolls with minced beef, shrimp & vegetables with a sweet & sour dipping sauce, very good and Roti Canai, Malaysian pancake with a curry chicken dipping sauce, I really don't enjoy curry but am fighting my aversion to it. It's still going to be a fight. Just don't like curry, so I can't judge this dish. Last I had Nasi Goreng, which is Indonesian stle fried rice with vegetables. Enjoyed this and the left-overs Weds.

As for sushi, in our area nothing compares to Nikko as far as freshness and quality, although their portions are a little small. Is Saigon Republic the place that was reviewed in the Times Jersey section on Sun. Would be interested in trying this, especially with good guides :biggrin:

The folks at Nusantara did a nice job with the decor and are very affable. i wish them luck and good fortune.

Lou - Yes, Saigon Republic is the one reviewed this past weekend.

Nikko is OK, but have you actually tried Nagano? Frankly, I am unsure of this name. It is on the second floor above the T intersection of Washington and where Cinque Figlie was. I thought it had a different name but that's what came up on yp.yahoo. It may have changed owners but I remember it having a Japanese staff and more Japanese clientelle. It had really excellent sushi and was packed like Nikko can get.