• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Maraschino Liqueur in Pennsylvania

Bourbon Crusta

2 ounces bourbon whiskey

1/2 ounce triple sec

1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur

1/2 ounce lemon juice

2 dashes orange bitters

Shake with cracked ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass

i made one of these earlier tonight, but i accidentally grabbed the bottle of peach bitters instead of orange bitters.

(yes i do realize how ridiculous that sounds. but a bottle of bitters is only like four or five bucks, so why not buy them all? there are only a few different kinds)

anyway. it's a totally different drink. sweet and oddly light considering it's mostly liquor.

but with the orange bitters, it's far better as is--the bitters and the maraschino and the cointreau all play off each other in a really interesting way that just isn't there when you use the peach bitters. this was one of my favorites from the first time i made it*; a drink that epitomizes a lot of what i think a cocktail should be.

*admittedly just a few months ago

Bourbon Crusta

2 ounces bourbon whiskey

1/2 ounce triple sec

1/2 ounce lemon juice

2 dashes orange bitters

i made one of these earlier tonight, but i accidentally grabbed the bottle of peach bitters instead of orange bitters.

(yes i do realize how ridiculous that sounds. but a bottle of bitters is only like four or five bucks, so why not buy them all? there are only a few different kinds)

anyway. it's a totally different drink. sweet and oddly light considering it's mostly liquor.

but with the orange bitters, it's far better as is--the bitters and the maraschino and the cointreau all play off each other in a really interesting way that just isn't there when you use the peach bitters. this was one of my favorites from the first time i made it*; a drink that epitomizes a lot of what i think a cocktail should be.

*admittedly just a few months ago

I love the Peach bitters, but I find they work best with bourbon cocktails that don't have an added orange note of another liquor like Cointreau or Grand Marnier in them. As you say, the orange bitters work better in picking up that note and carrying it through the drink. That said, the Peach bitters are awesome in a Manhattan or a wee splash in your chilled vodka is damned tasty too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Mission Successful!

Objective: SLO for Luxardo Maraschino

Timing: less than a week from order to local store

Cost: $29.58

Initial impression: By itself, it is very intense.  It just borders on being cough-syrupy, but avoids it narrowly.

Aviation:

2oz Gordon's gin

1/2oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur

1/2oz lemon juice

Flamed lemon peel for garnish

I'm still deciding if I like this or not... I think I'll need to experiment with a few more drinks to see.

Next up: Waiting on Marie Brizard Orange Curacao (it's on the way)

Congrats and thanks for letting us know how that went. Glad to see the SLO (which I occasionally refer to in frustration as the Shit.Outta.Luck. :laugh:) ordering system is working efficiently.

There's a whole world of cocktails you can make with the Maraschino, as I've been discovering at home lately. My latest two faves are the following:

Bourbon Crusta

2 ounces bourbon whiskey

1/2 ounce triple sec

1/2 ounce lemon juice

2 dashes orange bitters

Red Feather Boa

2.0 oz. Rye

0.5 oz. fresh lemon juice

0.5 oz. maraschino

0.25 oz. (or one barspoon) Fee Brothers American Beauty Grenadine

2 dashes bitters

The former is an oldie but goodie. And a very fine and well balanced cocktail it is. The latter is something I created a couple of nights ago playing with the maraschino and my new cordial syrup from Fee Brothers. I'm certain regular grenadine (like Rose's) would work, but the Fee's is really good. The liquid from the cherry jar would be too sweet and too thin. And full of Red Dye #5 to boot. <retch>

Next time you feel the urge to get something Orang-ey flavored try the Luxardo Triplum. I think you'll really like it.

I picked up a bottle of the Martini & Rossi Bianco today out at the shop in the Clemens Market in Center Square at the junction of Routes 202 & 73. (Sidenote - we city dwellers are insanely jealous that you ex-burbanites have a Wine & Spirits shop inside of a really good grocery store!) There's still a few bottles heading to South Philly for me sometime soon, but since it was there and so inexpensive I figured I couldn't have too much of it around the house. Especially if it's as hard for the Specialty shops to reorder as it seems to be. The thought of an ice cold French martini a little later this evening while I watch the snow falling outside seemed like such a good way to pass the time. :smile:

Katie,

I made your Red Feather Boa last night and it was vewry nice. I used my own made grenedine, but otherwise followed your receipe to the letter. Dave the Cook also made one and posted a picture of it on the Cold Turkey blog

Deep in the bowels of the cocktail thread there is a discussion of the crusta by Sam Kinsey and some of the other cocktail wizzes. They claim that to be a crusta it MUST have a sugar rimmed glass and thus a bourbon crusta is too sweet. However, I have made them and I like it as well

I just got the call. My Marie Brizard Orange Curacao has arrived. 2 points for the SLO system!

They mentioned that they could order items that were not even listed in their SLO database. Has anyone found this to be correct?

What are some other interesting or hard-to-find items that people have SLOed (I don't want to get too off-topic, although, I fear I may have.)

-Rick

Rick

Pennsylvania

Kaiser Penguin

I just got the call.  My Marie Brizard Orange Curacao has arrived.  2 points for the SLO system!

They mentioned that they could order items that were not even listed in their SLO database.  Has anyone found this to be correct?

What are some other interesting or hard-to-find items that people have SLOed (I don't want to get too off-topic, although, I fear I may have.)

-Rick

a while ago i created a topic that was something like 'random other PALCB questions that aren't about the chairman's selections'--we could move this over there...