• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada, eh?

Gifted Gourmet

If you like Pinot Noirs from Canada, also try a Gamay, which is a lighter style red, very appealing with an enticing, almost spicy nose.  And, besides Rieslings, try Gewurtztraminers too. I won't use this sight to promote my wines, but I can suggest a book called VINES - which is a great guide to Canadian Wines.

LOL :biggrin: Guess what we served at our wedding? Gamay (St. Hubertus) and Gewurtz (Iniskillin Dark Horse) from BC (they were served at our Chinese banquet)!

They went down well with the mainly international crowd, who were pleased to try Canadian wines (though we had a few wisecrackers!).

What I like about BC Gamays is that they are much more in the Swiss, rather than the Beauj, style. I haven't found a single BC producer who carbonically macerates their gamay (Don't know about the Ontario ones).

Dry rieslings are not that common in BC - it's much easier to get hold of gewurtz (and generally very good Gewurtz!).

Did you like Vines? We were given a copy, but weren't impressed by the writing style. I thought the editing could have been a lot tighter.

Has anyone here read John Schreiner's new book Wines of Canada?

What's the verdict on that?

I recently bought the Wines of Canada book. The properties that I work with were mentioned there. I think VINES is very good to get an understanding of the varietals available and much thought is put into the tasting notes. In the book, it goes into detail who the Tasting Panel is. LOL on the wines you served at your Wedding, great choices. Presently, the properties I deal with are on the Eastern Part (niagara), but soon I hope to work with Vineyards on the BC side, if I can find some that are interested in Exporting to the US.

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com

Presently, the properties I deal with are on the Eastern Part (niagara), but soon I hope to work with Vineyards on the BC side, if I can find some that are interested in Exporting to the US.

Good luck with that! :smile:

The system across provinces seems crazy enough even before thinking about shipping across borders! May the Gods of Patience be with you!!!

From what I hear, BC wines are really hard to find even in Eastern Canada....I'm currently in the UK trying to eek out my BC stash which has been lovingly carried over the Pond as those wines are impossible to find here! :sad:

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>