• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanks, Sara

Thanks, Sara, for partipating in the Spotlight Conversation. It has been so much fun!

I have been reading portions of the questions and responses to my family at night, and it's made for some different family time in the evening. Your "coolness" factor went way up when I read your response to the question about the Beastie Boys to the kids.

I hope you continue to pop into eGullet periodically.

Again, thanks. And, thanks to your co-workers and family for their support this past week.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'd like to add my thanks too, and by way of showing my appreciation I'm posting a review of Sara's book, Sara Moulton Cooks at Home" that I'd written on Amazon in 2003, and which Melissa, aka "Gifted Gourmet", was perceptive enough to notice and remind me of.

SARA MOULTON COOKS AT HOME, by Sara Moulton

Sara Moulton is the Executive Chef for Gourmet Magazine and Food Editor for Good Morning America. She has hosted several shows on Food Network. She is a graduate of the CIA, has cooked in famous kitchens like La Tulipe, and worked on Julia Childs' televison show. The friends she acknowledges in the book's Introduction are a veritable "Who's Who in Food Today". Her husband is Bill Adler, a very prominent person in the recording industry, and her Mother, Elizabeth, is the former Editor of, ( I believe), Glamour Magazine, so Sara has not only an impressive resume, but very good connections.

You might expect such a person to have quite a formidable presence. On television Sara Moulton comes across as one of the most down-to-earth people you would ever hope to meet, and her book seems to confirm this image. She begins one recipe with, "Whenever I have homemade chicken stock in the freezer, I feel happy". And, you have to believe she sincerly means just that.

The recipes range from simple to elegant, but are all designed to be cooked and eaten at home. Sara is proud to label herself a "working Mom" to her two children, and her philosophy on food and eating might be summed up in the quote, "A home-cooked meal is always a great gift, as is sitting down to dine."

The book is very straightforward in its compilation, with short personal comments to accompany most recipes. The instructions are concise and easy to follow, and the book is full of handy tips such as, "... the best way to store ginger?". There are a few pages of colored photos of dishes, and numerous black and white family album pictures throughout the book. Michael Green, Gourmet's Wine Consultant, provides a chapter on pairing food and wine as well as tips and suggestions throughout the book

You could do a lot worse than to own this cookbook.

SB (hopes maybe he helped sell a few copies) :wink:

Sara . . .

I want to add my thanks for one of the most delightful conversations . . . ever. I was a fan of yours since I first got cable TV in the mid 90s. I remain a fan today but even more of one now. Your warmth and lively personality really came through in your responses. I hope you had as good a time as I did. And I hope that you had a good enough time to join us in the future. Besides, we need to get an answer to that damned gumbo question. :raz:

To the other members . . .

Feel free to post your thank yous to this topic whether or not Sara has responded. Thank you for your enthusiastic participation.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks Sara,

Having seen you speak a couple of times in New Orleans at the Tennessee Williams Festival gave me an idea of how interesting this chat would be and, happily, I was right.

Thanks for your participation in this and I look forward to occasionally seeing you around as a "regular" member of the Society. You've been a good sport about all of this and your answers to questions have been detailed, to the point, and often funny. A perfect guest, you are.

Also, thanks to all who worked so hard putting this together. Nice job!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thank you, Sara, for coming to "stay" with us for a while! I asked you what inspired you on an "off" day, and you truly have inspired me on many an off day, so thank you for that. I can't wait to see you on PBS! We'll be watching!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Sorry to throw you with that Epicurious "recipe", Sara, but it's been fun hanging out with you here on eG. We all hope you'll become at least a regular lurker if not an occasional participant on the forums.

Thank you for sharing your time, your knowledge and that thing the Beastie Boys have for you with us. Don't be a stranger, OK?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks Sara,

It really has been a pleasure to read your words and to get to know you better. Thank you for sharing your memories and thoughts with us all. We'll all be here if you want to stop by in the future. Once again, best of luck on PBS!!

Karyn

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

A bountiful bouquet of appreciation for the joys which you have brought to us at eGullet this week, Sara! I can never watch you on television again without saying to myself "she is the real thing!" ... :biggrin:

Hoping to see you in other venues in which you can share your vision and intellect on the delights of cuisine!

Melissa

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks, Sara! I've been a lurker this week, and wanted to make sure you realized how appreciative the "quiet voices" are as well. I didn't realize the number of quality cooking shows PBS offers, but I've already set my DVR to start catching them. I look forward to your new show, and I'll definitely check out your cookbook(s). And like everyone, I hope to see you around the forums when you can fit us in to your busy schedule.

Best wishes,

Nacho

Sara, you've been the most down-to-earth and gracious guest I think we've ever had for a Q&A. It's been a blast having you here, and like the others, I hope you'll check back from time to time as your schedule allows. You're always welcome here.

Michael aka "Pan"