• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Restaurant DOV Experiences

winegeek

I had a fantastic dinner at West last Friday. My group sat at one of the chef's tables by the kitchen and I got to try everything on the menu. My favourites were the salmon appetizer (I wish those oyster beignets came by the bowlful!), the truffle ravioli and the apple dessert. The banana ice cream with the chocolate cake was superb, so banana-y and creamy.

It's interesting how the dishes look different than when I was there. The soup didn't have all the garnish(was still yummy!) and the pork was more of a pork chop, with the bone attatched. It doesn't look like yours did, although it could be on the other side. Different chefs working.

Last night we had an exquisite meal at West. Nothing notable about that. It’s just what you’d expect at West even during DOV.

The special touch that I found notable was the wonderful treatment provided to my (admittedly grumpy pre-teen) daughter. Finding nothing on the menu that suited her (her fault not the menu) it looked like I was in for an evening of grousing. We mentioned this to our server, who is also noted in an earlier post. Without hesitating even a moment she addressed my daughter directly and maturely and within seconds the grump was smiling and agreeing to a wonderful and child friendly off-menu choice.

Peace was brokered, the meals arrived, and we all lived very happily ever after.

In addition to the stellar food, lovely room, and pro service, a quality that will keep me in awe of a restaurant is the ability to deal with little curve balls like this in such a seamless fashion.

Thank you West. :biggrin:

(And gorgeous height on that duck salad too!  :wub: )

The soup looks awesome. Really nice use of colour. The salad is insane. What did they do? Convince each part of the salad to get up and make that formation? Surely no person actually did that. I'm quite certain from the picture, the individual leaves intertwined to make that lattice structure.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Lorna, your photos are excellent.

Not DOV, but Wendy and I went to West for the 5-6:00 prix fixe menu and I'd venture to say it's the best deal in town. Such a comfortable room, attentive service (thank you Owen) and phenomenal food. From their awesome butter that comes with the bread, through to the truffles that accompany the bill, it's pretty damn stellar.

k

^I'm more of a fan of the olive oil they use...I wonder if it's still the Eleni Golden Olive? Anyway, it is great...very fruity.

The friend I was dining with on Friday went again on Sunday with a few of his friends, and everyone enjoyed the food immensely. This time, my friend had the sable fish and he said it was incredible.

I can't imagine a better DOV deal than West, and that's saying quite a lot considering all the other excellent DOV menus other restaurants are putting out. How is it possible to offer so much for $35?!! :biggrin:

Edited by Ling (log)