• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Time Bread Baker

aznsailorboi

here are the pics  :cool:

tn_gallery_41019_2584_36559.jpg

tn_gallery_41019_2584_151563.jpg

omg i dunno what happened to the pic!!!>!>!!?!>?!>!>!>! i dunno why it turned small :shock: but if u want to see the pics big, go to my imagegullet, the pic can enlarge on there as for now, im gonna figure this out.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

it tastes good, it looks good, the only criteria it didnt quite fill is the big holes on the cross section cut of the bread,,,,,i might have moved the bread once while it was proofing or something, i dunno what happened, the bread isnt dense at all, but definitely not airy either.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

I'd guess the dough was too dry or it was overworked.

i think it would be the first suggestion ...coz I wasnt sure how much flour to use on the bench, coz everybody says a handful but it wasnt enough to get it from sticking on the kneading suface.

i know its not the latter coz i barely touched the dough after the first kneading. all i did after the first fermentation process was do 1 stretch and fold method, then rest the dough then another 1 F&S method then shaped( which is basically another S&F method on the two halves) then baked. so there was minimal dough handling. oh and I didnt use a machine, i hand mixed the dough, and according to most people who posted ...i can't overwork the dough by hand, coz id be tired long before i overwork it hahhahhaa :laugh:

Im making another batch of ciabatta, I want to know why my air bubbles were so small???

I agree with the too dry comment. Ciabatta should start out as more batter than dough. If it starts reall wet, you don;t have to worry about using too much bench flour.

cib002.jpg

cib014.jpg

Edited by KyleW (log)

Nuthin' says luvin'...

www.kyleskitchen.net