• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

all about Bean curd

Here's a question for you all. I really like the fresh seen jook but those aren't available where I live. Is there a way to soften the foo jook so that they as soft as the seen jook, like boiling the heck out of them or using a pressure cooker?

Here's a question for you all. I really like the fresh seen jook but those aren't available where I live. Is there a way to soften the foo jook so that they as soft as the seen jook, like boiling the heck out of them or using a pressure cooker?

I think foo jook would be difficult to soften enough to roll out. Can you find flat dried sheets? I bought some once, thinking I'd soften and do the rolls. Sitting in my cupboard, it got all broken up, so I will make sweet tang with it.

Another week and a half, and I'll hear from Tepee that I am to use the new package I have. :wink::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'm not talking only about rolls. Just for any type of general cooking, be it soups, stews, or stir fries. The fresh ones are soooooo good I could eat a pound of it in one sitting!

BTW, has anyone tried making their own using the technique described here ? If I can make my own seen jook using this method I will certainly try it.

sheetz: If I remember it correctly you live in or near San Gabriel Valley (good access to Chinese grocery stores)? Somehow I got that impression.

Motivated by Tepee's illustrated, last night I had tried using foo jook instead of seen jook to do shrimp paste rolls. I needed to soak the foo jook sheets in a bin of warm water for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (don't do this for too long - or else the sheets will become overly-hydrated).

It does work. (Thank you Tepee) However, I have to say that foo jook is not as tasty as seen jook. Also, seen jook is much more elastic and easier to work with.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

sheetz: If I remember it correctly you live in or near San Gabriel Valley (good access to Chinese grocery stores)? Somehow I got that impression.

I grew up in LA and go back for visits but i now live in Indiana.