• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rest Recommendation (NYC area)

vivin

Where would I go, IF

I wanted to have a meal that was essentially a tasting menu of dishes made up from different parts of the subcontinent?

And I do not mean make up a tasting from a regular North Indian menu and throw in Idlis as an amuse.

The only thing that comes to mind is Suvir's place :-).

Any other ideas?

I recently was served a Thali (platter with assorted dishes) at Dakshin where they had put on it a very nice Chicken Chettinad (From Chettinad in Southern India), Lucknowi Khatee Daal (Sour yellow lentils from Lucknow, city in the state of UP in North Eastern India), Bagharey Baingan (baby eggplant stuffed with spices and cooked in a yogurt based sauce from Hyderabad in Southern India), Khatte Chane (Sour dry chick peas, like those served by street side vendors in New Delhi), Methi Chaman (Fenugreek green puree served with paneer like it would be in Kashmir) and there was also one other dish I forget.

While certainly no complete assortment of what needed to be seen to give even a fair introduction to the varied cuisine of India, it was a nice try. And it made me very happy.

I too would like to know of places in the US where one can get a tasting menu like Vivin speaks of. And like him, I find the inclusion of Idli and Dosa in a menu not what makes for a well-rounded menu.

Dakshin

The concept of a tasting menu representing the various cooking traditions is

an alien one, even in the most upscale restaurants in India. The closest approximation would be either at Taj in Mumbai, and /or Ashoka or Hyatt in New Delhi.

Thali meal gives one many little dishes in a plate (thali) but it is limited to a region. I'd say if any place - it would be London -- Maybe Simon dada could give it a shot. After all it is a pond and few hundred taka away :smile:

anil

I am going to try Dakshin, then. Can't hurt. Thanx for the suggestion.

Anil, not a bad idea. If I can get some direction, a wkend trip to London is not out of the question in search for culinary pleasures. One of my co workers just returned from a wkend trip to Paris. Opera, museums, a dinner at Lucas Carton. All good. Makes me want to go again.

vivin.

Vivin ask for Sanjay Bhatnagar when you call and make a reservation. Tell him I mentioned the Thali he served me this last Sunday. Do tell him you would love a meal that has different dishes from different parts of the world. I think he made the Thali for me and my guest. But he would do that for you if you ask.

And yes I am curious to know the London option. Would make for a nice trip.