• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single best restaurant meal

jaybee

This thread has taken a funny turn from where I thought it would go. It reminds me of a producer I work with whose father was a famous composer. He spent a few weeks at Auberge Pere Bise in Annecy when he was something like 13 years old and he recalls they drank 1961 Palmer (that is one of the great wines of the last century for those who aren't wine savvy) which he got to taste every night. He talks of tours of their wine cellar where they had cases of it piled up everywhere. But he also spent summers in a rented house in St. Jean Cap Ferrat and he developed a taste for Bellet Rose (one of the crappiest, junkiest and cheapest wines in the world.) He always speaks fondly of both wines. It's sort of like reminiscing fondly over truffles and then cheerios. It's amazing how simple food that is a part of other good memories makes us attach a certain signifigance to them that extends beyond their merely being food. And it's the same for the Palmer. It was the being at Pere Bise, eating that famous chocolate cake every night that enhanced the experience. Ah if only I had a childhood like that instead of arguing whether the rugelach should or shouldn't have raisins (they should.)

"Ah if only I had a childhood like that instead of arguing whether the rugelach should or shouldn't have raisins (they should.)"

Steve, do you feel you missed something or had to play "catch up" by not having started on your culinary exploration and education earlier?

Sure I think I missed something. Whose the one who told the story about the frogs legs as a kid? I think that's a great opportunity to have. In fact my kids have that, that's why they only eat pasta and butter :biggrin:

But I don't think it was a matter of catching up. Although I think when you have a good palate that is muted by being kosher, the reality of "real food" was like a breath of fresh air. And you just want to breath a lot because it tastes so good.

I often wondered why half the place seemed shuttered and so many very old people were wandering about at breakfast.  Soemone told me that the "secret" wing was a clinic where rich (very rich) old people came for series of injections meant to restore their youthful vigor.  Theyu stayed for a week or two and paid thousands. The injections were of some sort of embryo cocktail.  Creepy no?  

I was taken to a restaurant that, I think, is the one you mentioned--Le Petit. The restaurants on the hillside across the road were very pleasant.  Vevey is a very pretty little town.

I wondered about that myself. The bar was always empty too. Embryo injections would explain a lot.

Le Petit was recommended by my client at Nestle, I believe. Remember the red & white wine dispensers in the corporate cafeteria?

Le Petit was recommended by my client at Nestle, I believe. Remember the red & white wine dispensers in the corporate cafeteria?

No I don't, but I did see this thing called a Nespresso machne that made great expresso coffee from little capsules. I bought one for my office in New York, and when Cam Pagano and Peter Brabeck (now CEO) came to see me, I offered them coffee. They hesitated, since Cam said he could never get a good cup of cofee in New York. When I brought him a cup of expresso from that machine, he flipped.

The food at the Nestle cafeteria was pretty good as I recall, as was the view of the lake.

Sure I think I missed something. Whose the one who told the story about the frogs legs as a kid?

Having been able to observe those who were brought up with the finest cuisine options and those who discovered little food miracles much later in their lives, my conclusion is that a good palate is a gift from nature that doesn’t really get ruined and opens up as soon as an opportunity presents itself. A first introduction to serious cuisine as an adult has an enormous advantage due to the fact that not only are the sensory feelings involved (as is with case with children), but also the conscious intellect. There are numerous examples in history of people who simply rejected haute cuisine upon entering adulthood despite their fine upbringing accompanied by fine dining experiences. One of them is our old favorite Wittgenstein. The fact that you were exposed to new experiences later in life may well be the reason for your reverence for food.

Best Restaurant Meals.... Where do I start?

Boston: L'Espalier

Philadelphia: Buddakan

Miami: China Grill, Shula's Steakhouse

San Francisco: Harris Steakhouse

Denver: the Restaurant at the Brown Palace Hotel (smoked elk carpaccio, venison consommé, buffalo tenderloin...) Brooke's Steakhouse (fabulous!)

Minneapolis: Manny's (best porterhouse steak in the world!)

Montreal: Medittereano Grill

Toronto: Barbarians Steakhouse

New Orleans: Arnaud's. Nola, Gallitoire's. Brennens, Bon-Ton (best business lunch in the city - crawfish anything.)

Bremen, Germany: Beck’s en Scnhnoor

Guatemala City: Jake's (best homemade sourdough bread in Central America)

Managua, Nicaragua: Restaurant Delicias Del Bosque (best view of the city and great seafood)

Santos, Brazil: Cafe Paulista (The best business lunch, fresh and delicious)

Anaheim: Anaheim White House Restaurant (great plate presentation)

Las Vegas: Delmonico’s (amazing foe gras)

If you have visited any of these restaurants in these cities, I'm sure you will agree.

Cheers!

Coffeetaster

"Wine give rise to dreams: Coffee to thoughts"