• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fourth Annual eGS Asian Lunar New Year Dinner

Jason Perlow

I am sorry to have missed this again. Unfortunately it coincides with the annual Blue Oyster Cult in NYC weekend (another subject for another board) & I knew in advance I wouldn't have the strength for both.

I know you all are having a swell time RIGHT NOW! Frustrating for me, but I'll look forward to the reports.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I enjoyed the company at the tables including but not limited to "Matt" MX Hassett (sic?) , "Fat Guy", Jason and his sweet wife Rachel, Spinner, Christine Nunn of Picnic, Mike Feygin and his lovely wife and their business partners of Silver Oak Bistro and the gentleman we always see in Bhoj who's name I forgot.. and everyone there at the 3 tables filled with eager eaters & chatters.

The dragon dance and drums although a bit short was nice - I heard we missed a great shouting match which almost came to fists in the lot between different performers so much for more entertainment - LOL - :laugh: . Cecil was a bit short-staffed for this event :blink: we had to ask for drinks, dishes, we shared food between tables BUT all in all it was a nice bit of folks so it made it more pleasant.

I really enjoyed the taste of the tofu noodles, the dumplings and the tofu wrapped flounder as well as the the peking duck. (IMHO Silver Oak Bistro's duck is FAR superior!!!!! and I did mention it to Michael before I left!) I even tried a small piece of calamari it wasn't bad... the Shrimp while tasty should have been prepared without shell/tail/legs etc... in deference to the clientele/customers.

:huh: I won't comment on the rest of the dishes I'll leave it to others. :raz:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I disagree about the shrimp, the shells are part of its character, you can even eat most of it, extra calcium!

As for the Lion dance, I was glad it was a little short. Much better than the 1/2 hour version last year. Better to leave them wanting more, rather than being sick of it by the end.

As for the duck... I'm happy to have taken home a few carcasses - they are bubbling away on the stove right now.

I loved those jiozi, they were a lovely version with ground green beans and pork. Just different enough from the ones we've had in the past.

I'd have to agree about the shells, I'd rather not have them and I don't need the extra calcium :biggrin: .

It was a great event with a ton of food. We did have some trouble getting tables cleared, but the food was pretty amazing. I'm really sorry the duck came out at the end because by that point I was so full, I could hardly eat it - and who wants to turn down duck?

I think my favourite dish was probably the Ruby Pork with the sesame buns. Oh boy that sauce.

It was nice to see some old friends and meet new ones.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I love the shells, especially the little shrimpy legs that get deep fried.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I didn't take a lot of pictures tonight but I will post some -- many of the dishes we had tonight we have photos of elsewhere. I am posting some video on Google Video now, it will take a few days for them to compress it and put it up.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm really sorry the duck came out at the end because by that point I was so full, I could hardly eat it - and who wants to turn down duck?

It was nice to see some old friends and meet new ones.

If the duck came out first when we where all hungry it could have turned pretty ugly pretty fast fighting over skin :raz: .

Let me just say it was an exellent meal enjoyed in exellent company. The dragon dance was great but I most enjoyed the drum beating during the unveiling of the Jello mold very dramatic :smile: . The best dishes for me where the capsicum noodles, bean curd, ruby pork, and of course Peking Duck (on the standard menu dont they refer to it as "Beijing Duck"?) also I must add that Jason's idea of the exotic green soup as water to douse the fire of the capsicun noodles was perfect.

All in all it was a great evening. Well thats all for now. Time to switch to read only mode and rest.

Thanks again everyone for a great time, thanks eG for planning it, and the superb Cecil for making it happen

Edit: anyone else find the sticky rice stuffed chicken on the dry side

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

I'm with the 'eat the shell' crowd. They heighten the flavor of the shrimp -- at least to me. (I also eat crispy fish fins)

Wonderful banquet! Great table companions! Terrific atmosphere! No favorite dish, they were all good, but I could die for that sticky rice in the chicken.

One dish I love at China 46 is their Shanghai noodles and they were part of this menu. But they are served at the end as they are supposed to be. They represent longevity, and they show just how bountiful the meal was, because no one can finish them!! We were stuffed! There was just enough room for Rachel's beautiful molded jello and the delightful home-made mints that a kindly gulleteer offered.

Yes -- the waiters ran their legs off. I hope they can sit back and take a rest. As busy as they were, they always had a smile.

When I fed the lion -- he bit me! Did you all see that cute tail? It wagged away as happy as can be.

Great evening! Thanks for making all the arangements, Perlows!

I think it was a giant doggie. I loved how they made the tail wag. :laugh:

That was great, I found it amusing that the money going in the dragons mouth would sometimes fall out of its uhh... throat and then be picked up by its ummm......tail :smile: . As Steve said, between the Dragon and the Jello mold we are all now suffering from sensory overload :laugh:

Edit: Thanks whoever made the mints.

What? 3 tables of diners and only Jason takes pix?

I saw many pics taken and some video also. Do not forget many are still digesting. Refer to Jasons last post on this thread the video still needs to be compresed by google. Many of the dishes can be viewed from previous C.N.Y. dinners linked at the top of this page.

Edit: Cross post some pics up

The place was incredibly crowded tonight. In the first pic, it was the beginning of the evening. Look! An empty table! By the pique of the evening, the place was PACKED, and some people were waiting at the door. While the food didn't seem to suffer too much, the service did. I noticed some extra servers on hand, at least two I'd never seen there before. However, with such a packed house, they really couldn't keep up with bussing the tables and refilling water/tea. I know we all really enjoy the Lion/Doggy Dance, but I'm thinking next year, we may do it on a night without the show, perhaps it wouldn't be as crazy?

Also, those Spicy Capsicum Noodles, they get spicier every year! :blink:

Anyways, the highlight of the evening was the idiot that decided he needed to park where the kids doing the Lion dance were getting ready.

He proceeded to yell at the poor guy who organizes the dance and he made a complete mockery of himself.

Why..why oh why..is a parking spot worth getting into a fight with someone over?

Unless it's Hoboken :)

Can someone tell me if the Cold Tofu noodles are a regular menu item?

I would like to thank the great guy in charge of the lion dance and his troupe for their contribution to the cultural and educatational aspect of this dinner.

Edit: there, their, gahhhh...

Ha, in the last picture posted by Jason..you can see the mold Rachel made for us. The dismount of the mold was also another great moment during the evening. You got hot tea and willing participants? Anything can happen!