• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wire whisk scratching bottom of Kitchenaid bowl?

misstenacity

I received as a "bonus" present this year one of my mom's garage sale finds - a cobalt blue Kitchenaid mixer. I believe it is the current base level "Artisan" series, with a handled bowl.

I used it to whip some whites yesterday, and noticed that the whisk attachment touches the bottom of the bowl with mild force (after accomodating for the "give" in the attachment point), and after just one batch of whipped whites, the whole bottom of the interior of the bowl is pretty scratched up.

Is this why it was sold in the garage sale? Will I burn out the motor if I keep using it with the whisk rubbing against the bottom?

Hmmm..... :sad:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Andrea,

I just bought a brand new KithenAid mixer, Professional HD series, last year (all right, New Year's Eve).

I'm reading through the instruction booklet: Does your mixer have a "Bowl Lift Handle," that raises the bowl up & down? Does your "Artisan" series mixer have a "Bowl Height Adjustment Screw", located on the column a few inches away of the bowl? If there is an adjustment screw, turn it clockwise to lower the bowl. BTW, did your mixer come with an instruction booklet?

The booklet doesn't mention anything about the motor burning out. Mind you, the booklet does mention that the "coating may wear off the beater or wires on whip may wear."

I hope this helps.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Yes, I think that Russell is correct. There should be a large adjustment screw on the side of the mixer head that will solve your problem. Take a look at Kitchen Aid Customer Service page. Here you can enter the model number (found on the bottom and back of the mixer) and download the user manual in PDF format. See 'Troubleshooting' 'Product Literature & Warrenty.'

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Oh, cool. Thanks, you two!

I bet that's all I need to do to tweak my mixer (it didn't come with the owner's manual, but hey, for $25, I'm not complaining!).

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Had to replace my beater after 27 years. Not bad. My 76Pontiac didn't last one third that and cost a bit more.

Careful or the KA may outlive you.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Oh, cool.  Thanks, you two!

I bet that's all I need to do to tweak my mixer (it didn't come with the owner's manual, but hey, for $25, I'm not complaining!).

Andrea

$25!!! :wacko: WHAT A DEAL!! :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”