• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shameless Self Promotion

aliwaks

20th and Lombard is indeed Center City Philadelphia, though pretty much a residential neighborhood.

Last time I checked there are two restaurants on that corner - the Waldorf Cafe - a classic and very good restaurant renaissance survivor - and Chaucer's - a great place for a beer and a burger. Off and on there also has been a separate restaurant above Chaucers.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Just saw in one of the weekly papers, Bella is replacing the Waldorf Cafe. Chef is member of Slow Food. Opening in August.

Re Italian. Some of my favorite restaurants are Italian, but.....

There are so many of them. I'm thinking close to one out of every two restaurants in Philadelphia that has opened in Philadelphia over the past few years has Italian cuisine.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

There are so many of them.  I'm thinking close to one out of every two restaurants in Philadelphia that has opened in Philadelphia over the past few years has Italian cuisine.

Wow. That's hardly slow food.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bella sounds Italian but they said it was an American bistro?????

would'nt that make it an American Trattoria?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 2 weeks later...
Ali--you need to be a little more shameless if your self-promotion is going to work.  Tell us about this place and why we should care?

Very true. Certainly tell us about this place, but rather than telling us why we should care, let your self-promotion (never shameless, if done well) reveal enough and stealthily guide us into thinking that we have figured out why we should care on our own. Good self-promotion is somewhat invisible and seamless. Telling us to "keep and eye out" screams and commands a little bit. Telling us about Bella in a heartfelt, informative way will subtly raise curiosity and interest. Don't just tell people to "look." Entice them. Make everyone want to lift up the curtain and see what is behind it. If people like what they find, they will encourage others to follow suit.

SO...Who owns the restaurant? Can you tell me about the chef (sous, executive) and the pastry chef? Are they formally trained? If so, where? Self-taught? Where have they worked prior to Bella? What are their accomplishments? Signature dishes? What is the approach (or philosophy) to the cuisine? How big is the restaurant? Who designed it? Why now? What is the quality that will set Bella apart?

I know. Questions, questions. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Bella, An American Bistro 20th & Lombard coming in September 2002, Keep an eye out.

Opening Sept 18th

Bella,is named after my grandmother (we are Jewish, not Ialian) Our menu is creative American with an empahasis on regional & local products.

The chef is Debra Deaner, a Striped Bass alumni

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Just to add to what the others have already said, if you're enthusiastic about what you are doing and honest in what you say, there's no such thing as shame in telling us about it, or in promoting the restaurant. We like to eat and most of us like to eat well, or at least as well as we can afford to eat. We can decide where to spend our money, but we welcome all the news we can get about our choices.

Shameful, would be a post by a restaurateur that declared he just discovered this incredible place that, in fact, was his own establishment. Post a menu, post a link to a web site if you have one and expect public feedback and criticism from the first members who eat there. If the early reports are positive, enjoy them. If they're less than enthusiastic, let's hope they're useful.

Good luck. The dining public in the U.S. is getting more educated and more demanding every day, but it's also a more rewarding time to cook for them.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Sorry for the lack of information, honestly didn't think anyone would even respond. I've been actively promoting to newspapers, we've been mentioned in Daily News, Inquirer, Philly Mag & Philly Weekly

Bella, an American Bistro, is named after my grandmother who I loved deeply and who passed on during the initial planning of the resuarant. It felt only right that I name it after her. We're not Italian, we're New York Jews. Go figure with the name.

We will serve Creative American Cuisine reaped from the bounties of Pennsylvania and her surrounding states. I see it as my responsibility as a small business owner to support other small businesses and small farms count. Also I believe the quality of ingredients raised by human beings rather than corporations is less compromised.( shout out to Alice Waters!!!)

We are member of Slow Food and the Fair Food Project.We work with Farm Fresh for Chefs & Pennsylvania Preferred.

I'm the owner, 32 yr old former actress/model/event director from New York daughter of a chef and raised a foodie. Luckily my 2 aunts are in Seattle & San Francisco repsectively so I get to eat there. I dream about the Marin County Farmers market & Pike Street Market. I grew up eating in Manhattan, Brooklyn and East Hampton ( forget the movies stars, the produce is FABULOUS). I always wanted a restaurnat and here we are, found one for sale and am living my dream.

The Chef is Debra Deaner a Striped bass alum, Debra also worked at La Campagna, Circa, Rocco. Our Sous Chef Lorrie Thiel also from Striped Bass has worked at Rouge and the Fishmarket. The girls have some good pedigress both are Graduates of the Restaurant School and spent time training in France.

Yeah we are kind of a chick restaurant, but it won't be precious we all believe in real food. A few items you may find on our menu:

Molasses Brined Paul's Pork chop w/ mac & cheese

Pretzel Crusted Halibut with Mustard Buerre Blanc & Glen's baby mustard Greens

Maple Chipolte Glazed Duck with Pumpkin Speatzle

Mussels with Carmelized fennel, Fennel pollen and Gieger's PA grown Saffron Broth

Bison Short Ribs with Yukon Gold Horseradish Puree

Chocolate Cupcake with Pink Peppermint Icing

Handmade Mallomars

Roasted Banana Split.

Sliced apples & pears with white truffle honey, roasted walnuts & Cowgirl Creamery Osprey Triple creme

Our wine list will be primarily from small domestic wineries. We have a full bar. The Bellatini is Stoli with raspberry puree & Poire William topped with Sparkling wine.

we seat about 65 in dining room, around 20 in the bar/lounge. Open for dinner Tues -Sat, Late nite Fri & Sat. Brunch Sat & Sunday(in a few months)

www.BellaEpicura.com will be up Sept 18. Our number is 215 985 3222

Your shameless self-promotion of Bella to my shameless asking for a job?

I am TRS attendee (about to graduate in January) and I am looking for a place in Center City to work in. Currently I am working the line (sauté and grill) at a Hotel restaurant on the Main line (working my way up from Banquet Prep cook).

I am looking to make a move to a place that has the potential to be a lot busier, better product, with people who take pride in the food they put out and learn as much as I can.

It sounds like a great place to work. Although I am not a chick, I am an older culinary student and would love to work with good people and great product.

Let me know if you might be interested.

Treat everyone the same, like a VIP...

Something gave its life for what you are about to eat... Respect the food...

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."

-Sam Ewig

• 3 months later...
Bella, An American Bistro 20th & Lombard coming in September 2002, Keep an eye out.

So now that Bella is open for a while, can we have some updates? Reviews, food choices, service, hours, etc. Sounds like it's near Rittenhouse Square. I'm from NJ, but I LOVE Philly!!

Bella, has been open for awhile and we are near Rittenhouse Square. We've had some great reviews ..well Two so far in teh Phialdelphia Weekly & City Search. We also have a new Chef. Amanda MacWilliams..also of Striped Bass origins , Amanda was the chef most recentkly at the Inn Philadelphia, we had worked together in teh past and she becaem available so I got her in here to Bella as fast as I could. Menu, reviews etc are available on our website.

Bella Website

Here's the direct link to one of the Bella reviews:

http://www.phillyweekly.com/archives/artic....asp?ArtID=4706

It's by Robin Rinaldi, and it's nice to see that her editors have let her off the cheap eats ethnic and "Nigella Bites it Big" beat.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Will definitely try to make it next trip to Philly.  But you are closed Sunday Night!!  Have to try to get to you on a Saturday.

ahh but after teh New Year we will be open Sunday nights!

Had dinner at Bella a couple of days ago. Quite good and only four easy blocks from my house. Nice clubby bar and cocktail area up front, dining room overlooking beautiful South 20th Street.

Met owner Ali aka aliwaks. She's enthused and committed, despite having only been open a few months and already having gone through the tempermental chef trauma. New chef is doing a good job. So's Ali.

Started with Smoked Trout & Roasted Beets w. Creamy Horseradish & Cucumber Concasse. Ordered it because I'll order most any menu item featuring roasted beets, but the smoked trout was great and worked well with the dollops of horseraidsh.

I don't know why I didn't order the Aromatic Braised Short Ribs over Wasabi Mash. I wanted to, but have been focusing on fish and seafood recently so went for the Grilled Sea Scallops with Kalamata Olive Fig Tapenade over warm salad of Anise & Clementines. Also excellent. Olives and Figs make a good tapenade mix. Entree came with two pureed vegetables, butternut squash and turnips, and a savory beet flan. Good crunchy seeded bread from Metropolitan Bakery.

Many of the menu items carry people's first names. Some are friends. Some contributed recipe ideas. Some are whimsical such as Alice’s Pasta: Butterfly Pasta w. Kennet Square Mushroom Ragout. Ali was watch Alice in Wonderland and was inspired to blend butterflies with mushrooms.

At 20th and Lombard (the former Waldorf Cafe) Bella's sort of off the beaten restaurant row path but makes for a great neighborhood restaurant. Has gotten off to a good start with some good reviews but Ali says things have slowed down since election day. Not sure what the Democrats taking a shellacking has to do with dining out.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 months later...
Bella, has been open for awhile and we are near Rittenhouse Square. We've had some great reviews ..well Two so far in the Phialdelphia Weekly & City Search. We also have a new Chef. Amanda MacWilliams..also of Striped Bass origins , Amanda was the chef most recentkly at the Inn Philadelphia, we had worked together in teh past and she becaem available so I got her in here to Bella as fast as I could. Menu, reviews etc are available on our website.

Bella Website

I was hoping to like Bella and I did.

The most amusing part of the evening was when I saw the chef talking to the table next to me. Recognized her as being part of the same bar crowd I was a part of about 6 years ago, when I was at this particular bar 3-4 nights a week. Wish I knew then what a talented chef she was going to become. woulda had more to talk about.

Anyway, tried it because wanted to go somewhere for the Dining out for AIDS benefit and heard good enough stuff about Bella, but also that business wasn't as good as could be. Thought I'd try and do my part.

Although the entrance being a pair of shuttered doors was sorta awkward, it was probably a good idea, as far as keeping wind from rushing in. Great little lounge area up front, place I'd hang out in. Wandered back past bathrooms to the dining area, composed of a larger and a smaller room.

Sat at a deuce in the middle of the room, not my preferred, but it'll do, especially if the house is packed. Got coffee, and dining partner (DP) commented on saucer and milk container. Former's center was raised so that any spillover coffee ran down to the side, so the cup wouldn't have to sit in a pool of coffee if spilled, as it did b/c knocking into table a few times. Very cool. Milk container was small clear vase, which I had seen before with flowers, so I wasn't as impressed, although it is still pretty cool. Didn't like the actual cup so much. Painted nice color, with words "lily espresso" on inside rim of cup. Visually nice enough, but I prefer being able to put a finger through the handle to hold the cup, and I couldn't here.

Menu was very nicely designed, functionally. First courses, second courses, and nibbles, all on one side. The other side had the bar selections, which we decided not to imbibe.

Especially impressed by first, second and nibble courses. Too often, people want to just try something, so a nibble is perfect. The nibbles were mostly vegetables, keeping it both cost-efficient and simpler for the kitchen, but very well thought out and executed.

We chose 3 as appetizers: marinated beets, stuffed sage leaves, and octopus chimichurri. All were tasty. Wanted beets b/c I like beets (I lament that they're not part of Chinese cuisine). Had been marinated in a tangerine-tarragon sauce that give the beets a nice sour kick at the end that was hard to figure out. I couldn't tell there was any citrus, and actually thought it was marinated in some flavored vinegar concoction. The stuffed sage leaves were grilled, which suprised me. I expected them to be somewhat like stuffed grape leaves in Greek food. Pretty black and charred, but they didn't taste burnt at all. The pork inside was nice and tender without being mushy or anything like that at all. The octopus chimichurri was also tasty. I had thought the sauce was pesto or something, but we then realized it was tomatillo-based, being chimichurri.

For entrees I had the pretzel cod with kale and potato discs while DP had the jerk swordfish with coconut rice and mango puree. Forgot that they were pretzels on top, I thought they were really thin croutons/bread chunks. Had to be reminded while I was finishing up the kale. The potato discs I would have probably have preferred thinner, more like potato chips. They were slightly dry. I liked the kale, may have been the first time I've had it. Nice texture, reminds me of broccoli rabe, which I ate last night. Didn't realize how salty cod is, unless there was additional salt layered on top. Haven't had it in some time, last time probably woulda been fish and chips, and that woulda been at least 4 years ago. Also doesn't keep its shape well, flaking and separting quite easily. Tasty regardless. Swordfish also tasty, the jerk seasoning was minimal. DP loved the mango, woulda probably drank it if it wa a sauce. Coconut rice was also nice, not too sweet.

Small selection of vegetables of day was given with entrees. Mashed sweet potatoes, fried?? shitake mushrooms, and pureed beets. All tasty again. The mushrooms were the most interesting to us, like little mushroom chips. Very nice.

Split a dessert of almond semifreddo, with a glass of porto. wish i could recall vintage. only 1 on menu though. very good flavor. semifreddo had flake of something or other (was told, since forgotten) in it for height. Sprinkled with powdered sugar, it was a nice beginning to the meal. The almond chunks were mixed in with the ice cream, which was nice. If it was too smooth, it might have been awkward, but the contrast was delightful.

After the meal, we managed to have a great conversation with the owner, Ali Waks, who has posted before. A 32-year old restauranteur who has managed to jump through all the hoops and put out all the fires in order to establish such a fine place. Much props to her! I hope to stop back soon.

Refer to website, bellaepicura.com for information.

Okay, 'nuff said. Fingers tired. Must go now. Namaste.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I was also at Bella on March 14--Dine Out for Life. Came with a party of 8, nonfoodies--myself excluded. I had been there once before, so I had some expectations ( I absolutely loved the pomegranate martini and the braised short ribs, which are both unfortunately gone from the menu..alas), most of which were satisfied or exceeded.

Couple of specifics:

For nibbles we tried the chicken liver pate (yum), the roasted peppers (yum), the roasted garlic (a messy difficult to handle miss), the octopus (yum), the ham (yum), and a cheese that was forgettable.

We also had the smoked trout, which is a lovely dish, but we all agreed was more appropriate for breakfast or lunch rather than dinner. It was delicious but a shock to the system after the nibbles.

I had the duck breast with duck confit for dinner, as did several friends. I liked this dish, but didn't love it. I don't know a great deal about confit, and won't pretend to, but I used to love it at South Street's Guru, and for some reason this version didn't stack up. The breast and side veg were terrfic tho. Others at the table enjoyed the chicken immensely, and the steak.

We had three bottles of red wine, which is why I can't remember the names of any of them and can't find the scrap of paper I jotted them on. I can tell you the first was the cheapest on the list, and was forgettable. The second was a J.Lohr, the waiter's recommendation, and was really not great. The third, recommended by Ali Waks, was absolutely scrumptous. Ali--it was $35--what was it called???

The service was the only real flaw. We had the same waiter we had last time, but this time he seemed completely out of it. Half of us had silverware when the nibbles arrived, and he brought out one additional set at a time, every five minutes or so. Water was very slow to come, we were missing wine glasses often, and there was a very breezy fan over the table. And, one entree was forgotten completely til the waiter was reminded, and then it was hastily prepared and rushed to the table. He was a geniunely nice guy, and I suspect it was a bad night, but this was a real distraction...

Anyways, I was pleased to see the place was packed, and terribly pleased that my friends managed to contribute well over $400 to the cause and Bella. I'll definitely be back for more...

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes