• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday party?

waylman

I have the big 29th coming up...was thinking about Chambar as it is a fun, lively place for a birthday party. However, I would like to try something new. Is Cru a good spot for a bday? It will be a fairly small bash...about 8 people. Other suggestions would be most welcome!

Edited by waylman (log)

I have the big 29th coming up...was thinking about Chambar as it is a fun, lively place for a birthday party. However, I would like to try something new. Is Cru a good spot for a bday? It will be a fairly small bash...about 8 people. Other suggestions would be most welcome!

Chambar is a really lively place with belgian beer so I think it would be a great spot for a party. 8 people should be pretty manageable.

I'm a big fan of the Afghan Horsemen because of the lounging pillow rooms where 8 people can get really relaxed and cozy!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Cru does a really good job of any event. We do my girlfriends birthday with about 10-12 people each year and they are totally accomodating. The food is absolutely fabulous and the service top notch. It is a bit more of a quiet place than Chambar and the room is smaller, so if you were wanting to be loud, Chambar might be a better bet.

When I turn 29 (again) I think I will do it at Cru.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

The Chambar thread inspired me to think about going there for my own upcoming um...29th :wink: birthday as well. usually it's just me and my partner but I'm thinking a pretty lively setting would be ideal.

And the fact that I haven't been there yet is a situation that needs rectifying.

**Melanie**

The Chambar thread inspired me to think about going there for my own upcoming um...29th :wink: birthday as well.  usually it's just me and my partner but I'm thinking a pretty lively setting would be ideal.

And the fact that I haven't been there yet is a situation that needs rectifying.

gingerfreak,

Get your partner to tell them that it's your birthday so you get treated especially well. I think staff have fun when they know you've chosen that place for a special occasion. :wink:

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I think a louder place would probably suit the group I'm going with...Is there any places downtown that are similar to Chambar in noise? La Regalade is pretty loud too now that I think about it...

I really like La Regalade - it's quiet early in the evening, but as more people trickle in, it can get pretty loud! La Regalade is really good if you want more of a comfy-bistro-home-style-with-lots-of-sauces type of meal. I love their prime rib!! I just went for my birthday dinner a few weeks ago - you can read about that here.

Downtown for a birthday I would recommend Cassis (although i haven't been for a while and Andrew Morrison was less than impressed in his WE Review), Parkside Room (I can totally recommend), Savory Coast (not loud, but a great room with excellent food and service), Yaggers for pub type food (that could be a cool theme - they even have a private room in the back) or Rodney's Oyster bar (get there early).

Gastronomista