• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non Vodka Drinks

M.X.Hassett

If you like vodka stop reading now. A number of people I know are of the Cosmo V. Cran. school, and I have been working on converting them. The reason a number of these people drink vodka is that they still have highschool memporys of rotgut: gin, rye, rum, etc...

So help me out what are some good "starter" drinks for novice cocktail drinkers. (Gin-Gin Mule, Dark and Stormy, 1:1 martinis, Red Snappers, Ramos Fizz's, and a few royals and fizzes that I came up with work pretty well) I am going to try the Income Tax Cocktail that Erik(eje) pointed out on the drinks thread, Basically a perfect martini with the addition of OJ.

I think the Southside cocktail is a really good way to convert. If you tell them it's made with citrus juniper infused vodka, and use a soft gin like Plymouth, they will eschew the tasteless, oderless abomination forevermore.

2 Oz. Plymouth

.75 Oz. Lime Juice

.75 Oz. Simple Syrup

7 sprigs of mint

Bruise 6 sprigs of mint in a shaker. Add gin, juice and simple. Shake hard, strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Spank mint above cocktail.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

fizzs indeed. one that has never failed is the peach blow fizz. gin lemon sugar milk and muddled strawberrys. there is really something wrong with anyone who does not find this drink pleasant. also note the floridita daquiri. another more obscure one i start folks off with at times is the hotel national special. it even appeals to the sweet tooth. its

2oz bacardi 8

1oz pineapple

half lime

scant half apricot brandy (marie brazard apry)

scant half simple syrup

also to get junior started on whisky Dales bourbon smash is a good juice.

note citrus and fruit are friends to those who dont let friends drink vodka.

The Gimelette is another way to bring V-drinkers iinto the light. Start with a mellow gin like plymouth, then toss a few rasberries, or a barspoon of Pomagranet molassas. the first time then give them a classic. They will be won over.

Try the excellent "If you like this, you'll probably like this. . ." thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75945

Also, all manner of sours tend to appeal to cocktail novices.

Although I presently abhor gin, I'll give it a try. Who knows, maybe I'll become a gin convert?

Try the excellent "If you like this, you'll probably like this. . ." thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75945

Also, all manner of sours tend to appeal to cocktail novices.

Although I presently abhor gin, I'll give it a try. Who knows, maybe I'll become a gin convert?

If you are a sour fan try the KING SOUR.

2 Oz. Plymouth gin

.75 Oz. lemon juice

.75 Oz. simple syrup

egg white

3 dash orange bitters

Shake everything hard in a shaker with dry,cold, large chunks of ice. Strain into a chilled glass. The volume may exclude a cocktail glass unless you have a sidecar with it.