• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spinach Artichoke Dip

pam claughton

There's a lot of recipes online for this, but I wanted to check to see if anyone here has actually made this and what recipe they use? I know it involves mayonnaise and maybe sour cream and lots of cheese, and it bakes in the oven until bubbly.

Thanks for any suggestions. We tried winging it, and it didn't quite work. (to put it mildly).

:) Pam

This is one I have made which came out well .. see what you think:

1 can of artichoke hearts, drain and chop

1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze out water!

1/2-3/4 cup regular sour cream

1/4 cup regular mayonnaise

8 oz. softened cream cheese

1/4 cup grated Romano cheese

1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (or more if you like garlic!)

Preheat oven to 375 ...

In small baking dish, mix the chopped artichoke hearts, spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, Romano cheese, and garlic.

Cover dish.

Bake until heated through and bubbly, about 25 - 30 minutes.

Serve with some sort of chips ...

Recipe Gullet printable copy

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

This is the recipe I make:

Spinach Artichoke Dip

One 6 1/2 oz. jar of Marinated Artichoke Hearts, drained and

chopped

5 oz. (1/2 package) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and

chopped fine

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

1 1/4 cups coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese (I substitute with kashkaval. We don't have monterey jack here)

1 medium garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine artichoke hearts,

spinach, mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese and garlic. Put in a small baking dish, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Dip may be

prepared one day ahead and chilled, covered.

Bake in middle of oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. If you

want the cheese to brown, put under broiler for a few minutes.

Serve dip warm with taco chips or crackers.

Is there some technical reason for using frozen spinach in these recipes? I've been using chopped fresh in my spinach dip (no artichokes) for years and people always rave that it's so much better than the other similar dips. I am no fan of frozen spinach to begin with and ever since hearing a certain perky Food TV personality talk about "wringing it out" it makes me shudder. Am I missing a compelling reason to use frozen here?

Am I missing a compelling reason to use frozen here?

Nope! :wink:

Yep! Fifteen minutes to rethink this one ... :huh:

Frozen spinach retains more of its nutrients for a longer time than fresh spinach because of the lower temperatures at which it is kept.

The researchers found that spinach stored in a refrigerator at 39 degrees retained more nutrients than spinach kept at warmer temperatures. While they found that substantial nutrient loss occurred at all storage temperatures, the cooler temperatures retained more nutrients for a longer period of time.

besides, it is just easier to defrost .... and no sand...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 years later...

You could make it like a traditional Spinach Madeleine and add oysters/artichokes to it. I've added just the oysters but haven't tried it with the artichokes in it. However, artichokes and oysters are heavenly together. I'm sure it would work.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/vegetables/sidedish45.htm

I was looking into adding some additional appetizers and want to make a different spinach and artichoke dip.  Any ideas????

Can you tell us what your "traditional" recipe is. In my tiny world it is either spinach or artichoke and they are made differently. My instinct is that the spinach would overwhelm the artichoke so I never considered them together.

I was looking into adding some additional appetizers and want to make a different spinach and artichoke dip.  Any ideas????

Can you tell us what your "traditional" recipe is. In my tiny world it is either spinach or artichoke and they are made differently. My instinct is that the spinach would overwhelm the artichoke so I never considered them together.

I didnt have a recipe in mind I am just throwing ideas around. I think oysters sound divine, but down for ideas.

I've never had spinach and artichoke in the same dip. One thing I find tiresome about artichoke dip is that it usually contains an overpowering amount of gloppy cheese, presumably parmesan. A few months ago I had something much more interesting: it was a spread rather than a dip--like a tapenade. It was made from fresh artichoke hearts and didn't appear to be cheesy. I don't know what else it had in it besides olive oil and garlic, but it was very good on baguette or a cracker. I believe the artichoke hearts were sauteed first, then finely minced with more oil. There did not seem to be any mayo in it either. Labor intensive, but that's fresh chokes for you. Maybe jarred chokes could be drained and sauteed briefly to give them more flavor before mincing or mashing.

For a cold dip, one that I prefer over the one people make with the soup mix, I use a lot of fresh artichoke and very little in terms of extras. (no spinach) Recipe is approximate because of the variations in artichoke size.

I take fresh artichokes, six or so, and trim them down to the crowns. I then slice them into 1" chunks and microwave a plate of them for about 5-6 minutes. (I find that this intensifies the flavor. I cut them into bite sized pieces for use on pizza or in other dishes.)

I then allow them to cool and toss into a blender (or into my steel milkshake cup for use with my immersion blender) with some (½ cup to 1½ cups) home-made tarragon mayo. You want this to be very thick, so just add mayo until the blender 'works'. Sea salt to taste.

I can't believe no one has tried Houston's Restaurant Spinach and Artichoke dip before. The recipe has been very popular here and made all of the rounds at parties and such a few years back.

Here's a link to a copycat recipe

http://www.recipezaar.com/52556

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)