• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just mulling it over ... 'tis the season and all

Gifted Gourmet

I know that mulling has to do with using spices in wine or cider ... everyone wants a warm drink which has a bit of zing in the cold weather ... I know about hot buttered rum, but what of mulling different drinks?

And there is something about the types of spices and how to tie them up in cheesecloth ... any ideas?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ah yes. 'Tis the season indeed. There's nothing nicer than some warming spiced cider or wine to get the blood flowing again on a cold winter's day. The history of mulled wine goes back to medieval times. Given the lack of central heating and the fact that the drinking water wasn't <ahem> quite so sanitary, this was probably quite the healthful alternative. Mulled wine is particularly popular in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I have fond memories of sipping Glühwein that is sold at stands all over Vienna in the winter time. The hot spiced wine is sold in the same mugs all over the city, so you can return your mug to the next stand after walking away with it from where you purchased it. It's a brilliant system really, and I think things would be so much more pleasant here in the US if we sold hot wine in to-go mugs on the street, don't you? :biggrin:

There are only a few hard and fast rules for making mulled wine:

1) Buy something red and fruity, but not too expensive. Use good fresh lemons and oranges (two of each fruit sliced per bottle).

2) "If it's boiled it's spoiled." DO NOT BOIL THE WINE. Heat slowly over a low flame until heated through. Boiling ruins the wine and turns the spices bitter. Microwaving by the mug full is a good alternative.

3) Sugar is optional (about 1/2-3/4 cup per bottle of wine) but usually gives the wine a pleasant flavor (in moderation) and softens the tannins a bit. Some folks like to dilute the mulled wine with a bit of herbal or regular tea, fruit juice or water to the same effect.

4) An ounce or two of brandy or Cognac to each 750 ml bottle of wine is optional but adds a great deal to the end result. Same could be said for Cointreau or Grand Marnier if you like orange flavor.

5) The spice mix is up to you, but cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves are almost always in the mix. Star anise is nice as well. Tie the spices in a cheesecloth bag, or use a large mesh tea ball (my preferred method). Or you could float the spices and strain the mulled wine into your serving mugs. 2-3 crushed cinnamon sticks, a fresh grating of nutmeg, a teaspoon of cloves, and a few star anise would nicely flavor one bottle of wine.

A shortcut to all this is to buy Glühfix bags that are like pre-made teabags with all of the mulling spices inside. These are great for single serving microwaved mugs of wine or cider too.

If you do make the above with cider instead of wine, you can add a shot of your favorite winter warmer like dark rum, brandy or whiskey.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Call it glugg, glog or glogg or, if you live in Israel call it Chanukah punch, but I enjoy it during the winter months:

One hint: Considering that the wine to be used in the recipe is to be seasoned and boiled, it would be foolish to use the finest wine you have in your home. Best bets are simple and relatively inexpensive but appealing reds

4 bottles dry red wine

1/2 bottle brandy (optional)

225 gr. each seedless raisins and sugar

8 dried figs (optional)

1 large orange, studded with 12 whole cloves

12 cardamon seeds

1 cinnamon stick, about 7 cm. long

Combine the ingredients in a large enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil and let boil uncovered for 3 - 4 minutes without stirring. Reduce to lowest possible flame, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Let stand in a warm place for 3 - 4 hours before serving.

To serve, reheat until piping hot and ladle into mugs or wine glasses, garnishing each of portion with some of the raisins. Serve piping hot. (Yields about 32 punch cups).

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

Several days ago I made some mulled wine. Katie is right that it should definitely be a part of life during the season of brisk cold winds. It can be a sort of warming substitute for sunshine. :rolleyes:

This time I stopped into the local wine store and chose something different than usual (generally I use a merlot/zin for they seem to be sold everywhere and are relatively cheap).

This time I chose a Rioja. (Antano Tempranillo 2003). Grand pricetag of five dollars and twentyfive cents for the bottle.

At that price, I didn't expect too much but was, instead, surprised.

With some cinnamon sticks, a few cloves, a toss of sugar, some peel from a clementine, and a slow few moments of heat on the stove. . .it did seem like a bit of magic was produced from the lowly dark quiet bottle.

Best mulled wine I've had in years.

If you happen to see this bottle, it is worthy and more of mullery. :wink:

Technically this might not be mulled, since the spices aren't heated with the liquid -- I don't know what an exact definition of mull would be. But I've been calling this mulled cider, and have had it every night since Thanksgiving:

One mug's worth of slightly hard apple cider. This is cider of the North American non-alcoholic sort, but not the junk they sell at supermarkets: real, robust, dark, opaque, unpasteurized. I grew up in apple orchards, I'll go without rather than drink the stuff that tastes like apple juice.

"Slightly hard" in this case means it's been left to sit on the counter until it turned fizzy (overnight, roughly), and then spent another week in the fridge -- there's sometimes a sulphurous smell when you open the jug that goes away when it's heated.

One shot of spiced rum that I infused in January: dried ginger root (like Penzey's sells), cloves, peppercorns, mace, in that order of proportion, steeped in rum for a week or two, mixed with a little blackstrap and sorghum, aged until last week. The dominant flavors are the clove and ginger with some bite from the peppercorn.

Half a shot of Galliano.

Heat until steaming, pour over a thin slice of lemon in your mug.

The first mug was because I was looking for a way to use the Galliano -- I'm doing some cupboard cleaning -- but it's really addictive. I'm sure using a spiced rum and simmering the cider with cloves and ginger would be similar.

We always have mulled beverages in the wintertime. For one thing, if you're having guests, it makes the house smell so good.

I mull & serve in my crockpot. Have some recipes for Gluhwein that I use -- my favorite does include brandy.

And then there's this (my absolute favorite winter drink):

Hot Apple Pie

Into a mug, put some hot mulled apple cider. Add a jigger (or more to taste) Tuaca. Top with whipped cream.

Boy, is that good.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I always make some mulled cider - unless I want my brother to disown me, it's a requirement. I've never made mulled wine, though, and now I'm eager to try. I'll wait till Katie and Daniel weigh in on Chris' question above, though! :shock::wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

OK, I admit it. I cheat. I pick up three or four bottles of Glögg at IKEA every winter and add one to a bottle of wine. Heat gently. It's one of my favorite things about the holiday (to avoid the nutso crowds at IKEA, I go in through the exit directly to their food stall and purchase it there).

I even have a bottle leftover from last year, so I'm all set for this week's tree-trimming. I can't wait! :wub:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Personally I think boiling the wine gives it an unpleasant, well, BOILED, taste. Heating gently also gets more flavor out of the spices and doesn't turn them bitter.

Hasn't anyone added the spices to a soup or stew too early and had them turn nasty from overheating? Same principle to me. I could just be being overcautious, and perhaps it's all in my head. After all, I'm supposed to have a good palate. Perhaps it's self-delusion, but I stick by my original theory. Also some brief Googling for mulled wine recipes reveals more recipes than not recommend NOT boiling, but heating gently so FWIW, others agree with me.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Well, as I said, I always mull my wine and ciders (apple & cherry) in the crockpot, where it slowly simmers. Never boiled it and can't think it'd be a good idea. For one thing, the alcohol evaporates quickly enough as it is. But mainly, there's no need. A slow simmer works just fine.

Actually, I'm sipping a Hot Apple Pie as we speak. I'm tellin' y'all, it doesn't get any better. Mmmmm.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Katie and Daniel, you seem to disagree utterly about whether or not to boil the wine. What gives? My worlds are colliding....

A case, perhaps, of different strokes for different folks. With glugg/Chanukah punch in particular I find that boiling for 3 - 4 minutes allows the wine to pick up and absorb the flavor of the fruits and the spices (especially the cloves). With most mulled wines I would agree on the non-boiling procedure.

Actually, I'm sipping a Hot Apple Pie as we speak. I'm tellin' y'all, it doesn't get any better. Mmmmm

Yeah Jaymes - that does sound pretty good!

Do you think it would work OK with Licor 43 instead of Tuaca? It's also vanilla based liqueur so I think that the flavor would translate. Tuaca is 70 proof, the Licor 43 is a bit lighter at 62 proof. I still think either would be better with a shot of brandy or spiced rum in addition! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Actually, I'm sipping a Hot Apple Pie as we speak. I'm tellin' y'all, it doesn't get any better. Mmmmm

Yeah Jaymes - that does sound pretty good!

Do you think it would work OK with Licor 43 instead of Tuaca? It's also vanilla based liqueur so I think that the flavor would translate. Tuaca is 70 proof, the Licor 43 is a bit lighter at 62 proof. I still think either would be better with a shot of brandy or spiced rum in addition! :biggrin:

Don't know. I can't imagine it'd be bad. But the first time I had it was in this bar in Alaska where we went all the time. Their signature drink. And it's absolute magic as far as I'm concerned, so I always have all the fixin's on hand. Never needed to improvise, so have no opinion.

I serve it a LOT at gatherings in the winter. I have the hot cider simmering in the crockpot, and the bottle of Tuaca right there, so those that want something alcoholic can help themselves. And those that don't....well, you get the picture. Works well with a mixed crowd of adults and children, etc.

PS - Also, my personal favorite includes quite a generous pour of the Tuaca, so never felt the urge to add anything else, like rum.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

PS - Also, my personal favorite includes quite a generous pour of the Tuaca, so never felt the urge to add anything else, like rum.

I'll have to try the Tuaca if I have any lying around the house, but I generally do the same thing that you do except with the rum- it's a match made in heaven. My spices are green cardomom pods, cinnamon and cloves. If I'm doing wine then I add some citrus but I keep it simple with the cider. The ciders that I buy are also better with the tiniest amount of salt added to give it a bit of focus.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I'll have to try the Tuaca if I have any lying around the house, but I generally do the same thing that you do except with the rum- it's a match made in heaven. My spices are green cardomom pods, cinnamon and cloves. If I'm doing wine then I add some citrus but I keep it simple with the cider. The ciders that I buy are also better with the tiniest amount of salt added to give it a bit of focus.

I do add rum to mulled apple cider. And, a pat of good butter. It is delicious, to be sure, but different from the Hot Apple Pie.

Because that's a Hot Buttered Rum.

My second most-favorite winter drink.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Cardamom! That's one that I skipped in the list of good mulling spices!

When I mull cider I'll generally get a long strip of orange zest and poke the cloves into it. No fresh fruit in cider (some folks do like it though), but definitely some zest.

I do add rum to mulled apple cider. And, a pat of good butter. It is delicious, to be sure, but different from the Hot Apple Pie.

Because that's a Hot Buttered Rum.

My second most-favorite winter drink.

How about a Hot Buttered Apple Pie, with spiced rum, tuaca and a pat of butter on the mulled cider?

Yummmm....I might have to go get all the ingredients for this and test it out this weekend when it turns cold again.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

When I mull cider I'll generally get a long strip of orange zest and poke the cloves into it.  No fresh fruit in cider (some folks do like it though), but definitely some zest.

I do the 'orange ocean mine' thing -- where you take an orange and poke it full of whole cloves. Looks like those sea-going mines from WWII movies.