• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swift's Premium Pork

TrishCT

My local grocery store (Shaw's) now only carries Swift's Premium brand fresh pork products. The labels don't indicate there is anything nefarious added, but the meat is awfully salty and tastes like it has been injected (both a loin roast and package of chops tasted blah).

Does anyone know if this brand of pork injects stuff into their products...I think the meat tastes very inferior, not buying it anymore.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

I think it depends on which Swift brand you buy. According to this page, Swift Premium Guaranteed Tender is "Enhanced with up to 10% of Swift’s proven solution."

Swift Natural Fresh Pork, on the other hand, claims to be 100% pork.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think it depends on which Swift brand you buy. According to this page, Swift Premium Guaranteed Tender is "Enhanced with up to 10% of Swift’s proven solution."

"Swift's proven solution"? Anyone know what that is? Sounds vaguely Strangelovean....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I went to the store today, and my suspicions were realized, Every single pork product --chops, ribs, roasts at Shaw's Supermarket... is the Swift's Premium "Guaranteed Tender" which is another name for guaranteed crap.

I am writing the store and letting them know how bad the stuff is and that they have lost my meat business for the time being.

I have run into the same thing. I have become an inveterate label reader. I do have to admit succumbing to the loss leader $1.99 US a pound for the boneless loin. But I sometimes find a brand that isn't pumped up with crap. I have made that mistake before.

When I need a really nice piece of pork for a trophy roast or fresh ham, I make the trek to my Asian market. You can see the whole pig quarters hanging in the back. They will also custom cut for you. No junk in those pigs!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I went to the store today, and my suspicions were realized,  Every single pork product --chops, ribs, roasts at Shaw's Supermarket...  is the Swift's Premium "Guaranteed Tender" which is another name for guaranteed crap.

I checked today, and their beef is also Swift's.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This has me wondering - is there any guarantee that store labeled meat is, well, meat, without additives?

It's sad when you have to read the ingredients on your MEAT, whether it's beef, pork or chicken.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

This has me wondering - is there any guarantee that store labeled meat is, well, meat, without additives?

It's sad when you have to read the ingredients on your MEAT, whether it's beef, pork or chicken.

No guarantees, but, by law,the Fed Dept of Agriculture does require the labeling. You have to rely on the reputation of the retailer in following thru with the labeling, and informing us as cutomers.

The Swift branded beef is not injected. Usually the injected beef is used by retailers who are not cutting and packing their steaks and roasts on-site(WALLY-WORLD ). The injection in beef is mainly for ensuring the bright red color we associate with fresh beef, and increasing the shelflife of the product. :sad:

The injection in pork is to promote tenderness and flavor. Pork today is produced too lean to have much of either naturally.

"Be a simple kind of man. - ronnie vanzant

This is why Whole Foods draws the crowds.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845