• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introduction and more

LunaSea

Hello all, I'm new to this forum thanks to my friend Tad who I met on a kayak fishing forum (hence my post name, LunaSea). I would consider myself a connoisseur of fine sipping rums and have been experimenting with them for about 10 years. I would place them in order of my favorites as:

Pyrat Cask 23 (Anguilla)

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old (Guatemala)

Planter's Gold (Anguilla)

Diplomatico (Venezuela)

Santa Teresa 1796 (Venezuela)

I'm fortunate that my wife travels to the Caribbean frequently and stays on Anguilla a few times a year. She purchases Pyrat Cask 23 direct from the factory for $185 a bottle. The cheapest I've ever seen it on the Internet was just over $300 a bottle, and one site has it for $550 a bottle! :blink:

Some of the worst sipping rums I've tasted are:

Sea Wynde (Jamaica) 96 proof

Anything by Bacardi

I would love to hear any and all suggestions if there are others out there I should try. English Harbour Extra Old Rum (Antigua) is one that has already been suggested by Tad, who learned about it on this forum. Thanks in advance for any other insights.

Hi,

Pyrat Cask 23 (Anguilla)

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 year old (Guatemala)

Planter's Gold (Anguilla)

Diplomatico (Venezuela)

Santa Teresa 1796 (Venezuela)

I have only tried the centenario and the 1796 from your list, I also think they are very good. I guess everyone loves Ron Zacapa, but in my opinion it's perhaps just a tad too sweet.. The (cheaper) Ron Botran from the same distiller is also pretty good.

You should definately try the Barbancourt Reserve Speciale from Haiti. Other favorites include Clement Rhum Vieux, Cruzan Single Barrel and in the cheaper end, the Barbados Plantation rum. I'm not sure they can match the highly appraised Pyrat Cask 23 though.

I live in Denmark where high end rums are hard to find and pretty darn expensive. You said in another post that you could buy Ron Zacapa for 40$ in the States, here in DK it carries an 80$ price tag :angry: .

Greetings Soren.

If you think Ron Zacapa Centenario is a tad too sweet then you would not like Pyrat Planter's Gold OX Reserve either, but that's another one of my favorites. It tastes like creamy burnt caramel. The ultra-expensive Pyrat Cask 23 is definitely a classy rum. At $185 direct from the factory in Anguilla though, who knows what it would cost in Denmark? I've seen it for $550 on the Internet, which is obscene. But even at $80 a bottle for Ron Zacapa Centenario (23 y/o) in Denmark, if I lived there I'd still be buying it!! I'll have to look for Ron Botran now...thanks for the tip.

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, they removed the bast fiber that used to cover the entire bottle. Looks much better now in my opinion

I believe they did this so customs could verify that the bottle contained liquid. I was told this by a friend who picked up a couple bottles while in Columbia a few months ago.

David

I like the new bottle design much better. Not only does it look classier, I can now see when it's nearing time to make another run to the local liquor store!

Has anyone ever tried the 15 y/o Ron Zacapa Centenario?

Thanks for the welcome David. What sorts of rum libations do you partake in down in PR?

Thanks for the welcome David. What sorts of rum libations do you partake in down in PR?

You might be surprised that, for a place claiming to be the rum capitol of the world, there are many rums I can’t find on the island. I’m stuck with a separate carry-on full of rum on flights back from visits in the States. My favorites from PR are Don Q Grand Anejo, Ron Del Barillito Three Star and Rieserva Aneja produced by Trigo.

Some of my favorites are Ron Zacapa (of course), Cruzan Single Barrel and Estate Diamond, Appleton Extra, Mt. Gay Extra Old, Flor De Cana 7 y/o,Havana Club 7, and Westerhall Estate Grenada.

Some rums that I have tried and not cared much for include a recently finished bottle of Pyrat Planters Reserve XO, Flor De Cana 12 and 18 (overaged?), Ron Varadero 5 y/o (Cuba), 10 Cane,St. James Extra Old, and Old Havana Brand 8 y/o (laugh).

Topping the list of rums I’d like to try are El Dorado 15, Santa Teresa 1796, Real Martinique Agricoles, Pyrat Cask 23 (for kicks), Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof, Appleton 21, some aged Trini rum (Angostura?)and Cadenhead from Australia.

David

David,

My wife just returned from Jamaica with a bottle of 21 y/o Appleton. I didn't find it to my liking but, then again, I like Pyrat Planters Gold Reserve XO and you don't.

If you're in Puerto Rico, skip on over to Anguilla and you can get Pyrat Cask 23 direct from the factory there for $185 a bottle. Or go to the restaurant at Cap Jaluca and you can buy it by the 1 oz. shot. They also have an 1880s rum there for $185 A SHOT!!! And a liqueur of some sort for $400 a shot. Bring your Visa AND your MasterCard!!!