• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light Appetizer for Italian Dinner

robyn

We're going to dinner at a friend's house this weekend. They're doing the main meal (first course = pasta - second = grilled fish). Simple Italian. I'm doing appetizer and dessert. Any ideas for something light to start? It should be fairly simple to eat (so our hosts can munch while they're cooking) - pre-made (except perhaps for heating) - and designed to travel well. I'd prefer to do Italian - but no one will kill me if it isn't Italian. I was thinking of making some caponata - but I'm not sure I can find eggplant in the stores now. Robyn

How about some stuffed mushrooms? or this super easy, ridiculously good mushroom crostini with blue cheese and proscuitto that you can make ahead, then spread on slices of baquettes and heat for 8 minutes in the oven. You can make it the night before even, and it seems to improve the flavor.

http://efoodie.typepad.com/efoodie/2005/03...cheese_mus.html

That is my version of it. Here is the link on epicurious, for the original, where you'll see loads of rave reviews as well.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107462

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

Would depend on what you did with them as to how complicated this gets, but I was thrilled to learn accidentally yesterday that one of my internet resources for hard to find organic produce has SQUASH BLOSSOMS available right now.

I have never cooked with them but I ate so many in Italy a year back that I've been dying to do so. I'm not sure if they taste very good raw or not, but they do taste good fried with a little herbs and cheese inside. (Don't know how well that would reheat) but if you're game for something unique, this might be it.

Raw squash blossoms: Not so good, at least IMHO.

I'd recommend either an antipasto misto, or something with mushrooms. 'Tis the season, after all.

For an antipasto misto, it's simple: Get lots of good cheese, good meats (salami and dry-cured ham are classics), some olives, perhaps some anchovies, preserved artichokes, and/or roasted peppers, and you're set. Easy to put together (you're really buying all the ingredients rather than cooking anything), keeps well, and perfect to nosh on while cooking/before dinner.

If you really feel the need to make something, I'd suggest a homemade focaccia to go with the antipasto. It's light (if you do it right) and miles beyond most versions you can pick up at a bakery or gourmet food store. I'm happy to pass on my focaccia recipe if you'd like it.

For something with mushrooms: A mushroom tart is probably the right way to go. One nice recipe is to roast some walnuts, saute onions in butter until caramelized, pulse together in a food processor, add salt and pepper, bed down on a square or rectangle of puff pastry, and layer mushrooms (preferably fresh porcini if you can get them (but cremini or portobello are fine), either briefly steamed or sauteed) on top, then bake until pastry is done. Cut into wedges, this makes lovely finger food.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Can you find a good melon? canteloupe pieces wrapped with San Daniele or Prosciutto make a nice appetizer. Very simple finger food, but if your fruit is sweet, it's divine.

I love this as a simple appetiser. Also good, and for a bit of variety, is a similar idea which is a piece of parmesan and arrugula/rocket wrapped in braesola. I rub the braesola with a little bit of olive oil to keep it nice and moist.

• 2 weeks later...

A brief followup....

The best laid plans....

You all gave me a couple of excellent ideas - but when I went shopping with the list of ideas - well the fresh shrimp looked fantastic (we have a shrimp fleet here and I guess the boats had a good catch that week). So I just bought a bunch of shrimp and made shrimp Louis. Not Italian at all - but it was a light and refreshing start to the meal. I did buy an Italian cheesecake and Italian cookies at a local Italian bakery - so I managed to get back on theme later in the evening :smile: .

Thanks for your ideas. I will probably wind up using a few in the future. Robyn