• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

52 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

How is the fat added to the hotpot liquid?  Just add a dollop or two to the liquid when it's hot?

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The hotpot spices are fried in the tallow to make a base, and then stock or water is added to that base to make the hotpot liquid. 

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The hotpot spices are fried in the tallow to make a base, and then stock or water is added to that base to make the hotpot liquid.

I'd just add that extremely few home cooks make their hopt pot base from scratch. It takes a formidable list of ingredients (many of which you'd possibly struggle to find in the US). In 28 years, I've only made it twice and each time it took two full days. Instead people use the industrial hotpot bases @KennethT mentions. These are available in every supermarket, market and street corner stores. The Mala Market in the US carries bases. Asian markets in the US should also have.

Most, but not all, are made using tallow, but you can check by looking for 牛油 on the packaging as here.

hotpotbase.thumb.jpg.14d92c8a757e06b1b43518b11c58ad3a.jpg

I'll add to this tomorrow and try to list the ingredients used, but it's almost 2 am here. Bed is calling.

liuzhou

liuzhou

47 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

How is the fat added to the hotpot liquid?  Just add a dollop or two to the liquid when it's hot?

28 minutes ago, KennethT said:

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'd just add that extremely few home cooks make their hopt pot base from scratch. It takes a formidable list of ingredients (many of which you'd possibly struggle to find in the US). In 28 years, I've only made it twice and each time it took two full days. Instead people use the industrial hotpot bases @KennethT mentions. These are available in every supermarket, market and street corner stores. The Mala Market in the US carries bases. Asian markets in the US should also have.

Most, but not all, are made using tallow, but you can check by looking for 牛油 on the packaging as here.

hotpotbase.thumb.jpg.14d92c8a757e06b1b43518b11c58ad3a.jpg

I'll add to this tomorrow and try to list the ingredients used, but it's almost 2 am here. Bed is calling.