• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best meal under a hundred...

Daniel

Gramercy Tavern used to be proud of their lemonade. I assume they still are.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Gramercy Tavern used to be proud of their lemonade. I assume they still are.

They also serve a tiny pitcher of simple syrup to use in sweetening your iced tea and last time I was there (three years ago) had the best restaurant coffee in NYC - Puerto Rico Yauco Selecto. I wish more restaurants paid attention to the small details like this. I was there at lucnh but am I correct in thinking that one could easily have a good dinner for two at under $100 in GT's front room?

. . . . I was there at luch but am I correct in thinking that one could easily have a good dinner for two at under $100 in GT's front room?

They don't take reservations and that's the reason I haven't been there lately, otherwise it would be our number one impromptu place to meet friends. I don't recall the prices, but I recall they were a bargain and I suspect a couple can have dinner for under $100. You might have to split a dessert or an appetizer, then again Mrs. B sometimes ordered two appetizers and called it dinner. I would even imagine you could squeeze in a couple of glasses of wine. Wine prices were usually quite reasonable, if not as low as at Landmarc. On the otherhand, with a no reservation policy and a wine list with temptations, one could run up a good sized tab waiting for a table at the bar, or even waiting for two seats together at the bar. You can eat at the bar.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.