• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fabulous Fritter: what is your favorite?

We have been playing with fritters recently. The results of our efforts can be found here. Though the short answer of fine fritters is: pastrami reuben, crayfish-nori, pumpkin pie, peanut butter s'mores, apple-cheddar-bacon.

I had previously forgotten how much frying batter can be, I just recomend getting someone to clean up for you. (ie oil splatters and batter drips such that it is more fun to fry and eat the fritter rather than clean up the inevitable spills and spatters.)

Edited by twodogs (log)

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

Ok, here's a fritter I've never had but am dying to try: elderberry flower fritters.

I've loved everything I've had made with elderberry flower syrup (spritzers and champagne cocktails) so I think this might be very good. Elderberry flowers have a very special aroma and taste.

edited to add: Wow, Adam! Sea anenome fritters sound quite wild. The texture must be rather unique as well. I didn't even know these were edible.

Also, corn fritters sound like a perfect accompaniement to grilled salmon, spaghetttti!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ludja, they were good with the salmon :rolleyes:.

Melissa, because of this fabulous thread, we've been frittering away like crazy! Any excuse to batter up! As we sat around the dinner table tonight, everyone kept coming up with more ideas, and it was decided that we will soon have a fritter fest, hopefully this coming weekend.

Here's some kangkung we had tonight.

gallery_11814_1914_2856.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this topic and thought I would add the elderberry flower fritters from my foraging foodblog last May.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Our family have "fritter batters" which is leftover lamb roast, onion and corn in batter and fried. My husband also loves our version of onion bahjies (sp?) with sliced onion, chick pea flower, and lots of cumin - yum :wub:

This thread brought back lovely memories of an aunt who would make apple and corn fritters for breakfast when we were vacationing in Saugatuck, MI.

YUMMMMM!

Unfortunately, she got serious about weight and couldn't bring herself to make them anymore! :cool:

Edited by eJulia (log)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Hushpuppies!

Don't fritters usually consist of a batter plus a food item to be considered authentic?

What does a hushpuppy enclose within it to be considered a fritter? (please note: the response about anything canine is not going to sway me from my deeply held, deep fried fritter convictions!")

Melissa,

You started this thread on HUSHPUPPIES! in the summer of '04. Some good ideas here.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Check on the recipes on this site.

There are some great ideas.

My favorite fritters are bean fritters. When I was little our cook used to make them for me (the pet) for between-meal snacks.

I also love corn fritters plain and with green chiles, crumbled bacon, green onions.

Carmelized onions mixed with shredded apple may sound odd, however the flavor combination is delicious.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Melissa,

You started this thread on HUSHPUPPIES!  in the summer of '04.   Some good ideas here.

What a memory, Andie! Thanks for the link .. I will batter and deep fry it! :wink:

I have it among the many others in my "Subscriptions" file of "Track This Topic" - I like to revisit many of these on a regular basis. The "Track" function is very useful for me.

Fall has arrived and now it is possible to fry up something delicious and top it with all manner of interesting sauces ...

fritters being high on the list of my favorite autumnal dishes ... my favorite is an apple fritter which I dust with powdered sugar ... and your favorite?

I know people make fritters from fruits and vegetables and even seafood (conch) ...

spicy Indian pakoras made out of mixed veggies and served with tamarind chutney and coriander chutney. Yummy snack on a cold winter night. Sit in front of the fireplace and relish it.

I forgot to add egg foo yung

I've only had conch fritters in Key West, at the Sloppy Joe's takeout window, but I still remember how amazing they were, with some kind of a spicy tartar dipping sauce.

The ones I love and have over and over again, are either clam fritters or lobster fritters, which are sometimes also called clam cakes. They are all over Cape Cod at just about any place that sells fried seafood. I like mine with cocktail sauce or maple syrup.

:) Pam

• 3 months later...

I love corned beef and onoin friters. My nana made them for us when we were kids and I still love them to this day. Make a corned beef raost an use the leftovers for fritters......serve with mash, beans and tomatoe sauce. :raz:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin