• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite soups and stews

SobaAddict70

Mediterranean Beef Stew with garlic stuffed and kalamata olives.  And Italian Tomato Soupstew... basically everything except the kitchen sink.  It includes tortellini, italian sausage, loads of fresh veggies, and dill pickles of all things.  Sounds bizarre but it's absolutely amazing.

Moosh:

Please share recipes?!

I'd be glad to oblige later this evening when I'm not child wrangling and my little gastronaut is tucked safely in bed.

:smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

This is my current favorite:

Winter Black Bean Soup

EVOO

carrots, peeled and sliced

tomatoes, sliced into wedges

onion, halved

garlic, peeled

kosher salt

black pepper

cumin

sour cream

chicken stock

2 cans black beans, drained

garnishes: cooked shredded chicken, lime wedges, grated queso blanco, chopped cilantro, sauteed shrimp, cooked rice, deep fried tortilla strips.

1. Roast carrots, tomatoes, onion and garlic with EVOO, cumin, salt and pepper at 350 degrees or until soft. Set aside.

2. Bring chicken stock to a low simmer, add vegetables and black beans. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Take off heat and let cool.

3. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor; return to pot. Add in a dollop of sour cream, stir to incorporate. Adjust seasoning. Reheat, stirring frequently. Cook for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately, w/garnishes.

Note: The addition of pumpkin works like a charm.

Soba

Nantucket Scallop Chowder.

Use the freshest bay scallop's that you can find.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Nantucket Scallop Chowder

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Chowder Seafood

Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

8 slices thick-cut bacon -- chopped

2 onions -- chopped

1 3/4 teaspoons dried thyme

4 cups bottled clam juice/or Fish stock

1/2 cup dry white wine

2 white-skinned potatoes -- peeled, cut into

-- 1/2-inch pieces

1/2 cup whipping cream

2 tablespoons -- (1/4 stick) butter

1 pound bay scallops

paprika

Saute‚ bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes.

Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain well. Drain all but 2

tablespoons bacon fat from saucepan. Add onions and thyme to same saucepan

and saut‚ over medium-high heat until onions are light golden, about 10 minutes.

Add 4 cups clam juice, 1/2 cup white wine and potatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce

heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add cream and

half of bacon and bring to simmer. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.

Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add half

of scallops and saute‚ until light golden, about 2 minutes. Add scallops to chowder.

Repeat with remaining butter and scallops. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle chowder into bowls. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining bacon and serve immediately.

6 Servings

woodburner

Mediterranean Beef Stew with garlic stuffed and kalamata olives.  And Italian Tomato Soupstew... basically everything except the kitchen sink.  It includes tortellini, italian sausage, loads of fresh veggies, and dill pickles of all things.  Sounds bizarre but it's absolutely amazing.

Moosh:

Please share recipes?!

Better late than never! I've paraphrased this recipe for Italian Tomato Soupstew from a book entitled Simmering Suppers - Classic & Creative One-Pot Meals From Harrowsmith Kitchens.

Ingredients:

4 fresh tomatoes, chopped

1 lb. Italian sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces

14 oz. Italian tomato sauce (when pressed for time, use 14-oz. can Italian sauce)

7 cups beef stock

1 c chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1 c sliced carrots

1 tsp. basil

1 tsp. oregano

2 c sliced zucchini

1 c fresh mushrooms

1 green pepper, diced, seeds removed

1/4 c chopped fresh parsley

1 1/2 c sliced dill pickles

2 c tortellini, raviolini or your favourite stuffed pasta

Combine tomatoes, sausage, tomato sauce, beef stock, chopped onion, minced garlic, sliced carrots, basil and oregano into a large pot. Simmer 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer an additional hour, adding more water as required to cook tortellini. If using fresh pasta, reserve and add separately 20 minutes before end of cook time.

All the chopping makes it rather labour intensive, but the end product is delicious!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Tonight I'm making tomatillo and sweet potato soup, which is my husband's very favorite:

10-12 tomatillos, husked and halved

8 large cloves garlic

6 cherry tomatoes, halved

1 medium onion, chopped

olive oil

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" cubes

4 c. vegetable broth

2 c. water

hot sauce

sumac

salt

pepper

1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

Roast the tomatillos, garlic, and tomatoes at 450° for about forty-five minutes. While these cook, peel and chop up the sweet potatoes, then set them a-boilin' in the broth and water. Cooking that also takes about 45 minutes; while it goes, sauté onion in a little bit of olive oil until it is golden. Press the tomatillos and cherry tomatoes and garlic through a strainer to get rid of the skins, or whirl in a blender or food processor. Throw the roasted vegetables and the onion into the pot with the sweet potato, and add two hefty squirts of magic rooster* hot sauce, two pinches sumac, salt and pepper, and the cilantro. After letting everything combine for about ten minutes, mash up some of the sweet potato with a potato masher.

*That is, sriracha.

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"