• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish saltimbocca .. does anyone use the technique?

Gifted Gourmet

article from the Times of London

a simple wrap of Serrano ham or prosciutto around the fish before pan-frying adds a great deal. Not only does it protect the fish from the heat of the pan, it gives it a crisp “waistcoat” to wear to dinner.  The technique is borrowed from the Roman saltimbocca of veal rolls wrapped in prosciutto and cooked with sage and white wine, and works best with fillets that are neither too thin nor too thick.

Does anyone here use this particular technique?

If so, what are you wrapping around your fish these days? Options?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

^ We learned how to do Saltimbocca with Chicken in a cook class I am taking. We used Proscuitto and it's simply divine. Anything salty would work. It's so nice because it flavours the meat that it is wrapping. Sear the proscuitto and then deglaze.

I like the idea with the fish! I might try it on Halibut (but halibut on it's own sears so nicely already).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

They have it inside out though. The prosciutto/pancetta goes inside the meat and the meat is folded around it, not the other way around. I've used a similar premise and wrapped trout and seabass in cured pork and then wrapped it in foil and tossed on the grill or into a very hot oven. I must say though that I find the prosciutto or pancetta not very tasty in this method; it absorbs all the really fishy flavors and tastes "off". Meanwhile the fish is suffused with that delicious, salty, fatty pork flavor!

^ I would worry that the cured meat might overpower the subtle flavour of the halibut. That would be my biggest worry.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

We served on our regular menu at Lisboa in Honolulu a dish we called "Onaga Saltimbocca" we made it by using diagonally sliced filet's of Onaga [Hawaiian Snapper] with a slice of Mild Guava cured boneless Ham and a slice of aged Provolone cheese wrapped in blanched spinach leafs then patted with flour, dipped into a egg, milk wash seasoned with white pepper, oregano and grated Parmesan cheese and finally coated with a mixture of bread and cracker crumbs.

This was sautéed in clarified butter until lightly browned on both sides and placed into a casserole dish with a dash of white wine and lemon juice coated with Moussaline Bearnaise Sauce and set in the oven for a few minutes and browned quickly under the Broiler and served.

Prepared this way it was decadent, but the fish flavor and sweet taste was complimented by the ingredients with the juices marrying with the sauce, spinach and cheese that most customers enjoyed it with a spoon and pieces of bread to clean the plate with.

We also served this dish using "Kaku" or "Opah" and even adding chopped toasted Macadama nuts to the coating or blanched "Taro Leafs" in place of the Spinach.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.