• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long does liqueur stay good

Stalder

Just dont open any old Baileys type creamy stuff ....you dont want to know what they look like affter 5 or so years.

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

About a year ago, I became very sick while visiting my parents. By evening, I had made an appointment with the doctor for the next day, but had a horrible sore throat and was coughing. My usual home remedy for this would be brandy or Sambucca - so I went into Dad's liquor cabinet. Most of the bottles were more than 10 years old - and I must have tried about 4 or 5 of them - they smelled horrible and tasted worse! The miniature bottles of Sambuca that came from my grandmother were like turpentine!

So - I think the answer is - most cordials and sweet liquors will keep for some period of years - but they will "go" at some point - and you'll know it! In fact, I was just served Sambucca at an Indian restaurant last week that was reminiscent of those yucky minis - the bottle was almost empty, and I suspect that they don't sell a lot of it.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

High proof distilled herbal liqueurs like B & B, Benedictine, Jagermeister, and Chartreuse keep basically forever.

Fruit based liqueurs last maybe a year after opening. They usually don't go bad; but, the fruit flavor fades.

Lower proof and cream and chocolate based liqueurs should be refrigerated after opening and probably last less than 6 months.

Homemade liqueurs also should be refrigerated after opening, and might last 6 months. Though, you should keep an eye on them for unusual activity.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA