• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Spoon Coffee

Kobi

Opened within the last few weeks, Blue Spoon Coffee (on Chambers St. b/w Church and Broadway) is a true find. A small place still seemingly finding its legs, they have GREAT coffee (I am always thrilled to walk past DD and Starbucks on my way to work while enjoying a cup from Blue Spoon) and a great ambiance. I have yet to try any of the food, but all the baked goods look great and I have heard the soup is worth a visit.

Add in free wireless internet, a very quaint feel, and a cool story to boot (google the name and the first result is the story, which basically amounts to a 26 year old girl and her two brothers coming up to NYC to open the place up), and BSC has quickly turned into one of my favorite spots in the area.

- Kobi

Edited by Kobi (log)

Do they serve espresso?  If so (and if by chance you're an aficionado) - how is it?

I don't, and I am not sure if they do (but I think so, as they have lattes and such). Next time I am in I will certainly check.

- KOBI

What types of coffee have you tried there - any recomendations?

Thanks Kobi!

Opened within the last few weeks, Blue Spoon Coffee (on Chambers St. b/w Church and Broadway) is a true find.  A small place still seemingly finding its legs, they have GREAT coffee (I am always thrilled to walk past DD and Starbucks on my way to work while enjoying a cup from Blue Spoon) and a great ambiance.  I have yet to try any of the food, but all the baked goods look great and I have heard the soup is worth a visit. 

Add in free wireless internet, a very quaint feel, and a cool story to boot (google the name and the first result is the story, which basically amounts to a 26 year old girl and her two brothers coming up to NYC to open the place up), and BSC has quickly turned into one of my favorite spots in the area.

- Kobi

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up. Always nice to find another independent coffee shop.

There used to be a shop on this block that specialized in tea and insubstantial little crumpet sandwiches (I kid you not), which abruptly disappeared a few months back. I wonder if it's the same people. I don't think the tea shop did a brisk business, maybe they turned it into a coffee shop instead.

Do they serve espresso?  If so (and if by chance you're an aficionado) - how is it?

I don't, and I am not sure if they do (but I think so, as they have lattes and such). Next time I am in I will certainly check.

- KOBI

Starbucks has been described as a flavored hot milk drink shop. That's more accurate in my opinoiin than "coffee shop."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks for the heads up. Always nice to find another independent coffee shop.

There used to be a shop on this block that specialized in tea and insubstantial little crumpet sandwiches (I kid you not), which abruptly disappeared a few months back. I wonder if it's the same people. I don't think the tea shop did a brisk business, maybe they turned it into a coffee shop instead.

The old place was called "tea time." They had okay enough food, and it was relatively cheap for the area. They were always open and closed randomly, and would occasionally be packed and occasionally desolate.

BSCoffee is not run by the same people, but is in the same spot. Hopefully they will find a much better result.

thanks,

KOBI

• 4 months later...

Walked passed Blue Spoon this morning and they are now serving homemade sandwiches, paninis and salads. Judging by the quality of their coffee and other fare I would guess it will be worth a visit. I will certainly report back if I make it over!!!

- KOBI