• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diner -Yaletown

privatejet

Diner, south next to LK Dining Lounge and automotive, in Yaletown has opened. From my first impressions its the perfect addition to the neighbourhood- particularly for those of us who actually live here. Personally, I need a place a step up from take-out to eat at regularly.

This isnt sophisticated food. I had the Chicken schnitzel. Perfectly cooked with a spinach spatezle. My companion had the meatloaf, which he raved about particulalry the braised tomato accompaniment.

The owner, Heather, seems like a great gal with lots of enthusiasm and has promised me an upcoming mac & cheese.

All in all, IMO, off to a great start. Welcome to Yaletown.

I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed it. I dropped by on Saturday night for a visit, something I'd been looking forward to for several months. I regret I couldn't dine there at the time (went to check out Chambar's menu changes instead - one of the best soups I've had in recent memory!), but I hope to sit down and feast soon.

To be clear, this is not your typical Yaletown "hotspot". Think Lilykate with better food (for much less) minus the Evoke International stamp of swank in the design. I love the small neon sign: "DINER". Nice and clean. Sort of Rockwell meets Kubrick. Aside from the high ceilinged, open room with the glass front and comfy L banquette, this is not a sleek, modernist take on ironic retro. It has the palpable soul of a classic diner, without the tired look. No pretension. Plenty honesty. It's about the food, and I can't wait to try it.

Every time I dropped in during construction Heather Clark (the chef/propreitor) was covered head to toe in paint and dust. Perhaps someone can confirm this, but I believe she did all the contracting for the reno/design herself. She is a dynamo, and from all the reports I've heard so far, the food hits the mark.

As far as I know, there is no website, so get off your chair and report back. I'm eager to hear what eGulls make of the place.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Unfortunately not open for lunch. So, we went to YBC instead. A shame, the room looks nice and Heather seems nice. The unassuming menu sounds great. But unfortunately no lunch service. I really wanted to try the spinach spaetzle.

Tonight we ventured the long distance across the street from our place to try Diner tonight with a neighbour friend. Have to say that I agree with the above positive remarks about the place. It's cozy but stylish, kind of like the food.

Our friend upon stepping in the front door looked around, smiled, and said "I think I'm going to be spending alot of time here." It has an honest look to the place that lacks all the uber-ness of Yaletown, which is a breath of fresh air.

Upon sitting we started off with a few beers and a Cantaloupe Martini with Vodka they have been infusing. They have a very appetizing selection of menu items written above in chalk ranging from Grilled Ham'n' Cheese to Chicken Schnitzle. Entree's ordered for the table were Braised Lamb Shanks for my sweetie, Grandmother's Meatloaf for me, and the Pork Rib Special for our friend. After about 15 minutes out came some very generous portions of what we had ordered. Everything looked, smelled, and most importantly tasted very good. I think next on my radar there will be the Burger.

We found out the Owner/Chef is a former Pastry Chef from New York. Coincidently this was just as she had put out a Coconut Mango Cake. Now, this being right next door to LilyKate, and having had many pieces of their Coconut Cake next door I felt prepared to do a comparison. Have to say I like the Diner version better. Very moist, with a nice array of fruit in the center and a creamy white frosting.

The service was excellent and very friendly. Yaletown has needed something like this for a long time and I am really happy to have them in my 'hood.

Prices are very reasonable with the most expensive entree's topping out at $15. Good food at a good value is what a Diner should represent, and this place IMO has done a great job living up to that.

I am excited to try this place - I dropped by and it looks fantastic - unfortunately it was 2 hours before dinner service so I did not get to try the food.

Spoke to Heather, who seems very nice (ex Jean-Georges Pastry Chef) - and she is trying to have a slow opening ramp up. Work out the kinks before sending the word out there and create a neighbourhood joint.

Good to know that things are looking good in the food and value department. Things that LK next door seemed to have so much trouble figuring out.

Tonight we ventured the long distance across the street from our place to try Diner tonight with a neighbour friend.  Have to say that I agree with the above positive remarks about the place.  It's cozy but stylish, kind of like the food. 

Since Andrew mentioned they don't have a website, could I impose on you to post the street address and possibly the hours/days of operation if you know? TIA

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

It's on the 1200 block of Hamilton Street. Between LK Dining Lounge and Automotive Billiards [closer to the Drake than Davie] In the Alda building.

I believe hours are a bit irregular at the moment, as mentioned above they are trying to work kinks out before spreading the net, but definately for dinner.

Since Andrew mentioned they don't have a website, could I impose on you to post the street address and possibly the hours/days of operation if you know? TIA

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

Since Andrew mentioned they don't have a website, could I impose on you to post the street address and possibly the hours/days of operation if you know?  TIA

hhmm... It's 11:30pm and I'm already in my pyjamas. If not, I'll be more than happy to run downstairs and asked.  :raz:

:laugh::laugh:

Thanks so much Yummy! And, thanks for the heads up re cash too!! :biggrin:

Thank you privatejet as well. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Rockin' good.

Joan and I had three meals between the two of us, followed by three desserts.

I am looking forward to trying it out again. Very reasonably priced ( cheap ! ) and most enjoyable.

More about it later.

Got to sleeeeep now. Belly full.

P.S. The perogies were fantastic ! I will have those again next time.

Prices : Meatloaf $10.95, Chicken Schnitzel $12.95, Perogies $10.95, Beer $5.95, Dessert $5.95

Each entree was big enough that we only needed one each, not three between two.

editted to provide prices

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Everyone's saying how reasonably priced it is but.. a dollar figure would be nice :sad:

EDIT: Wow, that really is cheap ! sounds like good continental comfort food

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Had dinner there tonight. Great place - great food - great value. What more could you want? Sometimes it is good not to over-analyze.

The spirit of youthful confidence, generosity, and good neighbourliness prevades everything. The chicken noodle soup had real homemade flavor, my chicken shnitzel was perfectly tender with a generous pile of crisp pan fried spinach spaetzle and sauteed chard. Don't think too hard - just enjoy the good diner food.

The desserts however are amazing and there is a serious homerun on the menu:

Mexican Chocolate Souffle

gallery_25348_1380_931.jpg

This is one of the best souffles I have had anywhere (HK, LA, SFO...) and a serious steal at 6 bucks! Six f-ing dollars for a very generous portion.

Usually - I am leary of 'mexican' chocolate - as I think it is a way for a restaurant to pass on second rate chocolate by covering it up with cinnamon. Not it this case - it is good chocolate warmed with sweet spiciness. The souffle itself was, from a techinical point of view, just about perfect. A crispy cap that deflated satisfingly when poked with a fork (for some reason I didn't get a spoon). It is a properly wet souffle and Heather resists the urge to dry it out to suit North American tastes. This dessert would cost a minimum US$ 12 in California. I watched Heather making these up from scratch in the back. I think that Diner is going to serve a good number of these suckers.

So, even though I cannot aspire to live in the neighbourhood - I will be back. Great laidback space, delicous food, strong value, and some seriously lethal desserts being served.

It is a new place - working out its kinks - so if an egullet swarm develops - play nice.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Dude - you have been eating out a LOT lately! That is a nice looking souffle. N and I had chocolate souffles at Cru in Aug (not on the regular menu) and they were excellent - I can still taste them - so we've got to do a comparison with the Diner version for sure. If only we could set up a head-to-head... (Edited to point out the hint to Mark if too subtle.)

Too bad Diner's not open for lunch yet though.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Dude - you have been eating out a LOT lately! That is a nice looking souffle. N and I had chocolate souffles at Cru in Aug (not on the regular menu) and they were excellent - I can still taste them - so we've got to do a comparison with the Diner version for sure. If only we could set up a head-to-head... (Edited to point out the hint to Mark if too subtle.)

Too bad Diner's not open for lunch yet though.

I know - too indulgent - I am planning to get on the health wagon soon... maybe next week.

I wish the souffle came with a rasberry coulis or creme anglais to act as a bit of a counterpoint. Oh well - I guess one must suffer through these sort of things.

after seeing canucklehead's picture of the souffle, i needed to venture down to diner. we went last night and we definitely weren't disappointed.

great looking space, and warm service. it was very quiet when we walked in, one other diner, which i think was andrew (waiterblog). i wasn't 100%, and was too shy to say hi... :rolleyes:

anyways, we started with the peasant salad. great simple flavours, fresh ingredients. orange, red and yellow tomatoes, thinly sliced red onions, torn chunks of chewy bread and topped with a pile of watercress. perfect start.

then we had the meatloaf and chicken schnitzel. oh my god. the meatloaf was delish. moist, yummy, topped with a chunky sweet tomato sauce, almost homemade ketchup-ish and served on a bed of mash and green beans. the chicken schnitzel was tender, flavourful, moist and had a nice crisp on the outside. paired with sauteed beet greens and al dente shpaetzle.

of course, we had to have desert. the chocolate souffle, and the coconut mango cake. the souffle was divine. crisp topping, soft ooey innards. deep chocolate flavour and not too sweet. i like canucklehead's idea of having a coulis or the like for balance. the cake, oh the cake. moist, tender, with a meringue like icing and shredded coconut sprinkled upon it, big chunks of mangoes between the layers of cake.

i love this place. couldn't stop talking about it today with clients. i love the concept and it's done right. had a chat with heather last night after our meal and she cracked us up. i really hope that it takes off.

right now it's only dinner. next week, lunch starts with the same menu, i believe, and then breakfast in the near future.

our meal, with 3 glasses of wine, a martini, and a coffee and a tea (both brought to the table in a bodum) came up to about $85. tres tres reasonable.

Quentina

great looking space, and warm service. it was very quiet when we walked in, one other diner, which i think was andrew (waiterblog). i wasn't 100%, and was too shy to say hi... 

Yes, that was me. Pity we didn't meet :sad: .

I'm still stuffed. 24 hours later, and the meatloaf is still with me. Better than my mom's, which is saying a lot (and that's just between you and me, K?). I went too far in ordering the perogies, too. There was no room for dessert, but Heather gave me a cookie for the road.

I can see myself spending a lot of time there. A very refreshing departure from the Yaletown shishi. Simple, honest, unassuming, inexpensive, and good.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

What up with the name change ?

I think I will have to change mine then.

Cheers

Neil

Cheers has already been taken.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

True. You can try "Matinee Idol" on for size. See if that works for you. There's also "Plasma God", "Hanger Wyles", or the simple but stylish "Gingerbread Ghengis".

Way off topic, I know. A rather roundabout way of swinging discourse back to Diner, I admit. What say you all of this place?

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

We were just there again last night. Diner's phone # is 604-444-4855.

But this time it was for a close friends B-day. We arrived just after decimating an Elvis Platter with extra ribs at Memphis Blues.

For dessert we all went to enjoy Heathers culinary expertise at Diner. She made a special Coconut / Blackberry cake for us that was SINsational. Probably one of the best cakes I have ever had. Amazingly moist, still warm from the oven with Blackberries adorning the center. We also ordered and collectively tried her Chocolate Soufflé that was just out of this world great.

Top all that off with a round of Kahlua Milkshakes and Whisky, we were all very happy campers.

This place is over the top great, Monday I will be adding another 20 min of Cardio now to my workouts just because of all the great things I still want to try.

Heather and her staff are super friendly and took care of us like family.