• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diner -Yaletown

privatejet

Well, I might be willing to forego getting coffee right away for a benny with that recommendation! Will make a note to head there next weekend and report back.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

So, I sent my work colleague to Diner for lunch because he wanted to try the Chocolate Souffle. I told him to pre-order when he got there. So, when they order their food, he asks for two Souffle.

After the plates had been cleaned the waitress says, "I'm sorry we have no souffles pre-made, so it will be 25min."

I don't know much about the inner workings of a restaurant but that seems pathetic. They didn't get there until after 1 and it's 3:20 now, so it's not like they got their food quick, or ate too quick.

• 6 months later...

My beautiful bride and I had dinner last night at Diner and as usual, thoroughly enjoyed the food.

Heather has been consistently adding to the place which now has a fantastic patio including a porch swing. As it was a bit cold last night we sat inside, but for summer afternoons she has created a nice little oasis. She also has a BBQ out there which I forgot to ask her when she will be using.

There are some new additions to her menu along with the greates hits. We started out with drinks. A Long Iced Tea completely knocked my cutie on her ass (it was potent), and I had a Red Truck,

We ordered the Meat Loaf Melt and the Pulled Pork Sammy. The Pork Sammy came with a watermelon, cucumber, and red onion salad which was very refreshing. Both sandwiches were very good and tasty.

For dessert we tried the Blueberry Pavlova. This was interesting as we both had never tried anything quite like it. It was a hollow crispy merengue ball dipped in whip cream filled with fresh blueberries and vanilla ice cream, garnished with mint. Yum.

We really like the vibe that the place has, good food, relaxing atmosphere, fair prices, and on busy nights you get bonus entertainment watching ladies in high heals navigate to Coast while trying not to do a face plant on the un-even brick sidewalk. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Had lunch there yesterday. Nice meatloaf sandwich. Fries are great too. Genuine potato and crispy. Reminds me of In'n'Out double cooked fries which are the king of fast food fries. Also pigged out with Creme Brulee for dessert. Delicious. Slight bitterness from the brulee torching offset the sweet creamy velvety vanilla love in the dish. Yum.