• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's for 10

CharityCase

Hi,

Last night in an ale-induced grinning haze my friend and I, both avid and somewhat obsessive cooks decided to do a multi-course new Year's eve dinner for 10. We'll charge around $40 per person and match a wine with each course. And we're not doing this to make money just break even.

Now, as I take more tylenol and gatorade for my raging hangover, I'm trying to come up with some solid options and course ideas. And many of you are more experienced with these dinner party things than I am.

If we did soup/cold app/hot app/main/dessert & coffee, and did wine throughout, what suggestions could you make? There are no particular food allergies or aversions but the following would be helpful:

1. It's winter. We all like braising so the main could fall under that category

2. We're dealing with a small kitchen. Equipment-wise we're fine but as far as stagin is concerned we're short on counters and surfaces

3. About half this group are foodies, the other half show up to dinner parties with jackson triggs and lucky lager most of the team.

Thanks!

I hope I'm not being too demanding. I've just hit a bit of a brick wall and would like to start planning some of this out ahead of the busyness and consumptive habits of Christmastime.

Thanks.

My personal feeling about New Year's is that it should be a) wicked fun and fueled by plenty of Champagne (or sparkling cider, if that's your preference) and b) as decadent as possible.

With that in mind, I would like to nominate Jean-Georges' ouefs au caviar for your appetizer course. It's delectable, presents beautifully, takes very little space to prepare and plate, and feels absolutely sinful (thanks to loads of cream).

As for a braised dish, how about short ribs? Yum! Maybe some onion confit on the side?

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

How's this for a menu – long recipes but not at all complicated, minimal space required. The recipes are designed to serve 10-12. And all of the dishes are traditional for the New Year – the first in Sweden, the second in French Provence and the third in Ireland.

As to wine matches – start off with a good CHampagne before the meal; with the Gravlax – dry Riesling or Gewurztraminer; with the Lamb Stew either a California Cabernet Sauvignon, a super-Tuscan such as Tignanello or a damned good Australian Shiraz; and with the Apple Cream go for either a Canadian or German ice wine or a dessert wine from Barsac or Sauternes.

Gravlax With Mustard Sauce

2 fillets of raw salmon, each about 3/4 kilo, with all bones removed but with the skin left intact

3 - 4 large bunches fresh dill (about 225 gr.)with tough ends and stems trimmed

3 Tbsp. peppercorns, preferably white

5 Tbsp. sugar

3 Tbsp. coarse salt

mustard sauce (see following recipe)

Spread half of the dill in a layer of dill on the bottom of an oval dish large enough to hold 1 salmon fillet without crowding. Place one of the salmon fillets skin-side down on top of the dill. Place the other fillet skin-side down on a flat surface.

Using a mortar and pestle or with the bottom of a clean, heavy skillet, crush the peppercorns coarsely. Mix together the sugar,salt and crushed peppercorns.

Sprinkle half of this mixture over each of the filets. Cover the fillet in the oval dish with the remaining dill and then cover the dill with the second fillet, placing it skin-side up. Cover the fillets with plastic wrap and on this place a heavy flat weight (such as an oval dish) filled with 4 kilos or more of weight. Refrigerate overnight.

Remove the weights and the weight cover from the salmon. Carefully turn the salmon "sandwich" so that the skin side of what was the bottom fillet is now on top. Replace the weight cover and weights and return to the refrigerator.

Turn the salmon every 12 - 24 hours until it is to be served, for a minimum of 2 days. Baste the fish often with the liquid that accumulates around it. Always replace the weight cover and weights before returning to the refrigerator.

When ready to serve, scrape away the dill and pat the salmon fillets dry. Carve each half into thin diagonal slices and cut away the skin. Serve with mustard sauce. (Serves 12).

Mustard Sauce

1/4 cup spicy brown mustard

1/4 Dijon mustard

6 Tbsp. apple vinegar or white wine vinegar

6 Tbsp. sugar

salt to taste

fresh ground pepper, to taste

1 cup corn or peanut oil

1 cup chopped fresh dill

2 Tbsp. Cognac

Put the two mustards, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Start beating with a wire whisk while adding the oil in a thin stream (much as you would in making mayonnaise). When all of the oil is added, stir in the dill and the Cognac. (Yields about 2 cups).

Lamb Stew With Prunes

3 Tbsp. each butter and olive or walnut oil

3 1/2 kilos lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2 cm. cubes

salt as required

3/4 tsp. turmeric

3/4 tsp. ground ginger

1 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

3/4 tsp. garlic, chopped finely

3 medium onions, chopped finely

12-15 sprigs fresh coriander

hot paprika to taste

3/4 kilo prunes, pitted

3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a large heavy casserole dish melt the butter, stir in the olive oil and in this brown the meat on all sides. Add the turmeric, ginger, black pepper, garlic and salt to taste. Toss well and cook over a low flame for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onion, coriander and 1/2 liter of water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered until the meat is very tender (about 1 1/2 hours). Add water only if the casserole dries out.

Heat the oven to its highest temperature.

Spread the meat so that it forms one layer in an ovenproof serving dish. Place the prunes in between the cubes of meat. Remove the coriander from the cooking liquids and correct the seasoning of the liquids, adding hot paprika or Tabasco to taste, keeping in mind that the sauce should by highly seasoned. Pour the sauce over the meat, sprinkle with the ground cinnamon and place the serving dish on the highest shelf of the oven.

Bake, uncovered until the prunes develop a light crust (about 15 minutes). Serve hot, ideally with a green salad and a dry red wine. (Serves 10-12).

Apple Cream

For the apples:

10 apples, peeled, cored and quartered

3 cups rose or white wine

2 cups sugar

rind of 1 large or 2 small lemons

generous pinch each of dried rosemary and thyme

1 1/2 cup sweet cream, whipped stiff

3/4 cup sweet Sherry

40 gr. unflavored gelatin

For the custard sauce:

1 1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup each sugar and flour

6 egg yolks

4 tsp. butter

peel of 1 lemon

In a saucepan combine the apples, rose wine, sugar, lemon rind, rosemary and thyme. Simmer just until the apples are soft and then strain, reserving the wine. Puree the apples and place them in a bowl. Add the reserved rose wine.

In the top of a double boiler soak the gelatin in the sherry for 5 minutes. Over hot water melt the mixture and then add it to the apples. Stir well and let cool. When the mixture begins to become stiff, fold in the whipped cream. Pour into a mold that has been rinsed in cold water and then refrigerate, covered, until firm.

Before serving prepare a custard sauce by combining the milk and lemon peel in a saucepan. Bring just to the boiling point and immediately reduce the flame and simmer very gently for 10minutes.

In a separate saucepan gradually stir the sugar into the egg yolks. With a wire whisk beat until the mixture is pale yellow. Into this beat the flour and then gradually add the hot milk. Cook over a medium flame, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and smooth. Remove from the flame and stir in the butter until melted and the mixture is smooth throughout. Let the mixture come to room temperature, stirring occasionally before serving.

To serve, dip the mold with the apple cream into a bowl of hot water for several seconds. Unmold the apple cream and serve with the custard sauce. (Serves 10-12)

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

I love what you've both offered as ideas. I had somehow forgotten caviar so that will make an appearance.

And Daniel, I hate prunes so I'm nixing that but since I wanted a fish/seafood cold app the gravlax is perfect! To Meaghan's point about New Year's being fuelled by booze, do you think aquavit or a vodka infusion could make an appearance with the salmon?

To Meaghan's point about New Year's being fuelled by booze, do you think aquavit or a vodka infusion could make an appearance with the salmon?

Ooooooh...good idea. :rolleyes:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

do you think aquavit or a vodka infusion could make an appearance with the salmon?

Either of those would be appropriate with just the salmon but it would kill the flavor of any wine to follow unless you took an hour or so between courses. On the other hand, if you really want this to "be a blast", consider serving Bloody Mary's with the gravlax. That would do far better justice to whatever wine followed.

• 1 month later...

We do this as well. Though to give you an idea last year the theme was The French Laundry - yes as in 8 or 9 courses from the cookbook. Yikes! However, selecting a chef, cookbook or the like is a great way to start. That way you are going through one or two cookbooks looking for the perfect recipes instead of first deciding where to even start looking. Charlie Trotter cooks at home might be perfect for this if you want to keep it low key. The braised short ribs are a thing of true beauty - and while time consuming are pretty easy to do.

Anyways some tips:

If you can delegate. You can decide on the recipes and delegate the work to trusted foodie friends. So one friend shows up with the appetizer (or even just one part of the appetizer), one a side, etc. You can also delegate wine purchasing to help with the costs - I think often people feel better bringing something instead of handing over cash.

You can also ask for people to bring extra plates, etc if you do not have enough to do all the courses without washing.

If possible, hire help for the evening. One person in the kitchen to wash, help plate, help clear, etc is a wonderful thing. Contact local restaurants to see if anyone is interested.

Good luck! And remember to relax and enjoy the evening.

Pre midnight I'd recommend a variety of heavy hors d'eouvres that go well with sparkling wine. Oysters, smoked fish, puff pastry with parmesan cheese and spinach.

Post midnight, a simple buffet with roast pork, black eyed peas, and greens (kale or collards), the traditional New Year's day menu that is supposed to bring good luck in the New Year (and can all be made ahead of time). Or, slow roast a pork shoulder and time it to get done at 11:00. Let it rest and you're good to go at 12:30.

• 3 weeks later...

Charity, if you have little counter space, I'd suggest doing dinner as a buffet, if you have room to set one up comfortably. Plating for 12 takes a good amount of counter space - or do you have a card table you can bring to the kitchen?

I also suggest a chilled dessert. You make something great ahead of time, panna cotta, a mousse, a parfait, and then you forget about it. People get warm when they're eating and drinking a lot, and something cool, even if it's rich, is quite refreshing.

Can I ask for advice on your thread? I'm doing New Year's for 12, although for sure no one will still be up at midnight. I love the look of Daniel's gravlax, and I have just the salmon for that. And that apple cream...the whole menu looks delicious to me.

I love lamb with prunes, but for this crowd, I need something a little tamer. I'm thinking of a very slow braise, one that can be made the day before, improve in the fridge overnight, and warm gently for several hours. Paula Wolfert's Fall-Apart Lamb Shanks, a Catalan recipe, comes right to mind. That is one delicious dish, and fantastic if it's cold out. I'm only doing the main course, other people are doing the rest of the courses, and not in a very coordinated way. So I have to have a balanced stand-alone course, independent of what others do. I know there will be a plated terrine as the first course, but the rest is likely to be pretty haphazard. Dessert is probably going to be chocolate, but nothing elaborate.

I'm looking for any suggestions for something really festive, outstandingly delicoius, and not too daring.

Can I ask for advice on your thread?  I'm doing New Year's for 12, although for sure no one will still be up at midnight  ...

I'm looking for any suggestions for something really festive, outstandingly delicoius, and not too daring.

Abra, I'm up, even though I should be going to sleep soon after this.

For some reason, I was thinking of a beef bourguignon. Probably because I'm going to make one soon. It's well-balanced by itself with the beef and the vegetables (just double Julia Child's recipe). It's a dish you can make ahead of time. And it's not that daring, is it?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

My husband and I do a 8-9 course meal also. It really amounts to more than 9 courses since we have some vegetarians. We are able to make the amuse, salad and soup courses all ahead of time. The middle courses require some labor on our part, but much can be done ahead of time.

In the past the amuse has been a ravioli (butternut squash) or a crostini with onion marmalade and a really good melted cheese on top. Something quick that can be made ahead of time and then popped in the oven to cook.

This year for salad will be arugula, serrano ham, goat cheese, pomegrante seeds with a honey vinaigrette. It is an adaption from a salad in December's Food and Wine. In the past, it has been a basic salad with Jacques Pepin's dressing in a jar (from Jacques and Julia). Last year, it was a do it yourself salad where we created the basic bowl of lettuce and then passed a tray that contained different types of nuts, dried fruit and cheese to put on the salad.

The soup has been the same - my friend's Grape Harvester's soup...no grapes, just wine, garlic, broth and a few chopped plummed tomatoes. Very easy and light. This year we hope to try something new.

Seafood course have been shrimp with a champagne buerre blanc (can be made ahead), and mussels (cook so quickly your guests won't even notice you are gone).

We always do a foie gras course, which means we need something for those that don't like foie gras. Blue cheese, pears and figs have made an appearance over the years.

This year we are leaning towards duck confit with risotto, which means some cooking time in the ktichen while the guests are at the table. But we are very excited about making duck confit for the first time. In the past we have done roasts and squab both of which can be popped in the oven. The vegetarians have gotten fish/veggies cooked in parchment. It can be put in the oven while the meat rests.

The cheese course is always a big hit, especially if accompanied with dried fruit, nuts, spreads, etc.

Dessert is the easiest since we request someone else bring it.

All of this requires some work but we love doing it. The first year we did it no one had any idea what we were planning. We kept emailing various people saying "do you like...". They were getting so confused and started to say they would bring their own meal if we were feeling overwhelmed.

If you have time to print out the menu with your wine pairings it makes a great memento to go home with.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

I guess I am not the only one doing New Year's for 10. I love the idea of the fall apart lamb shanks. What cookbook are they from? I think I will do the frisee salad from Alfred Portale's Simple Pleasures. We have one person that is Kosher so i will leave out the bacon. I will also add some kind of fish although I might serve that room temp. I am also thinking of Tom Valenti's short ribs which I made recently that were fabulous. I am torn about the apps since I want something to sop up the alcohol but I don't want to spoil their appetites. Any suggestions?

The lamb shanks are from the Slow Mediterranean book (on my Christmas list) but I found the recipe here. Be sure to plan ahead, you need a couple of days to make it, although you can easily do it all ahead. It's a fantastic dish.

I'm going to do Daniel Rogov's gravlax with mustard sauce for a starter - Barbara, that might be a way for you to get a fish into the meal and also have a light appetizer.

I also want to mention a really lovely little cocktail that an eG friend invented recently for Thanksgiving. It's cava (or some other bubbly) with red Lillet and lingonberry concentrate. It's light, refreshing, and a gorgeous red color. Perfect for the holidays.

Abra by all means hijack away. We're all in this together :)

Since first posting on this subject we've considered and subsequently nixed Beef Wellington. Great main course but too expensive for our crowd.

Looking down the list a few things pop out for me: Daniel's Gravlax, duck confit with risotto, and the shrimp with champagne beurre blanc.

We're working with very limited space so it's conceivable that buffet will end up happening. And the desserts and hors d'oeuvres are being delegated while the dinner itself is up to two of us. Which is fine.

Thought I'd point out also that Epicurious has a couple of set menu ideas for various occasions including New Year's. You may like certain courses from certain menus

1. Italian Style: http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit/menus...iday2004comfort

2. Duck as the main course: http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit/menus...iday2004sparkle

I did a dinner like this for a birthday a little while back. One of the most praised courses was a simple granita I took out of the Aquavit cookbook. They're simple, prepared ahead of time, and can be spiked with booze (infused vodka or sparkling). Offers a nice break before dessert.

We do this as well.  Though to give you an idea last year the theme was The French Laundry - yes as in 8 or 9 courses from the cookbook.  Yikes!  However, selecting a chef, cookbook or the like is a great way to start.  That way you are going through one or two cookbooks looking for the perfect recipes instead of first deciding where to even start looking.  Charlie Trotter cooks at home might be perfect for this if you want to keep it low key.  The braised short ribs are a thing of true beauty - and while time consuming are pretty easy to do.

Anyways some tips:

If you can delegate.  You can decide on the recipes and delegate the work to trusted foodie friends.  So one friend shows up with the appetizer (or even just one part of the appetizer), one a side, etc.  You can also delegate wine purchasing to help with the costs - I think often people feel better bringing something instead of handing over cash.

You can also ask for people to bring extra plates, etc if you do not have enough to do all the courses without washing.

If possible, hire help for the evening.  One person in the kitchen to wash, help plate, help clear, etc is a wonderful thing.  Contact local restaurants to see if anyone is interested.

Good luck!  And remember to relax and enjoy the evening.

Out of curiosity, were you able to prepare the dishes and eat with your guests or did you take the role of chef and stay mostly in the kitchen? What dishes did you prepare? The reason I ask is that I am thinking of doing French Laundry recipes for Christmas but I don't see how I can actually sit down and eat if I do.

Sorry for the hijack Charity...

Well I'm still agonizing over this, with the exception of the gravlax (either mustard sauce or cornbread muffin+creme fraiche+roe+chive)

Please everyone, feel free to continue to hijack and pop up some more ideas since at this stage I'm grasping.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I'm still agonizing over this, with the exception of the gravlax (either mustard sauce or cornbread muffin+creme fraiche+roe+chive)

Please everyone, feel free to continue to hijack and pop up some more ideas since at this stage I'm grasping.

Bump

Final results?