• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating In Allentown

Capaneus

I find myself with the prospect of several weekend trips to Allentown in the near future.

All fine and good, but I know nothing about the area's restaurant scene. A quick scan of past posts leads me to believe the pickings might be slim, but I'm hoping someone has something to add.

There are several Yocco's, but not all of them sell pierogi.

Huh?

I take it that you mean there are a number of restaurants of that name, and that the pierogi are worth pursuing?

And thanks to the kind folks that suggested the Farmhouse. Sounds like a wonderful start.

Yocco's is a set of hot dog stands. They do a decent chilli dog.

As to other suggestions in that 'hood, I've heard downtown Bethlehem has some spots worth checking out... but am unsure about their identity...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Yocco's is a set of hot dog stands.  They do a decent chilli dog.

I'm not all that impressed with Yocco's. I've only been to one of their locations (Rt 100, just south of I-78), so maybe the quality varies by location. The hot dogs they use are pretty mediocre, and the chili, while it has decent flavor, has always been dried out.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

There are several Yocco's, but not all of them sell pierogi.

Huh?

Once you have to splain a joke, it loses its humor.

Capaneus ain't lookin' for tube steaks; that's the joke.

Yocco's doesn't do pierogi at the Liberty Street store; that's a fact for this thread I didn't plan to hijack.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I suggest taking the 15 miute drive to nearby Bethlehem and trying the following restaurants.

The Apollo Grill - http://apollogrill.com/

Bethlehem Brew Works - http://www.thebrewworks.com/

I find myself with the prospect of several weekend trips to Allentown in the near future.

All fine and good, but I know nothing about the area's restaurant scene. A quick scan of past posts leads me to believe the pickings might be slim, but I'm hoping someone has something to add.