• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape Ann in August

Suzanne F

We expect to spend some time on Cape Ann in early- to mid-August.  Probably staying in Gloucester; will have a car.  Looking for recommendations of places to eat, any price, any ethnicity, as long as it's GOOD.  Friends took us to a lobster shack in or near Rockport, but don't remember the name -- if you can supply it, that would be great!  Thanks in advance.

Were there tables out back on the grass, overlooking the water? I think that's The Lobster Pool, on Route 127 northwest of Rockport, just past Pigeon Cove.

If you'd care to sample the very best of local seafood, you must try the fried clams at The Clam Box in Ipswich and Farnham's in Essex. If you're a real trouper -- a Fat-Guy in training -- you'll compare those two places in the same day, as well as Essex Seafood and even Woodman's of Essex, which to me is more a local scene than a destination for the finest meal. Essex Seafood and Woodman's do lobsters as well as fried food.

These are all informal, self-service shacks, perfect for a seaside vacation. The White Cap in Ipswich, which also used to be such a shack, went slightly upscale a few years ago but should still be good. Those relatively fancier restaurants in Gloucester always struck me as being simply tourist traps, so I've never tried them; I could be wrong. Descriptions of some of these places should be available at Jane and Michael Stern's Roadfood site.

0015.jpg

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

The Lobster Pool is great--just to add to AHR's reply, if you'd like to drink wine or beer w/your meal there it's BYOB.  

I'm not a huge fan of Woodman's, I think it's touristy, greasy and generally overrated, but heartily endorse Farnhams in Essex.

For a real treat (call now for reservations as it's small, popular and they only do 2 seatings/nite), try Stone Soup in Ipswich.  

Also in Ipswich, excellent Greek-inspired cuisine at Ithaki.  

Have a great trip!

• 1 month later...

I just returned from Rockport, where I had some pretty horrible food. Avoid the nicest restaurant called My Place by the Sea. The service and food were awful. The view, however, was AMAZING!

My choice in Rockport is a little family restaurant called Ellen's. The fried clams are nice. The fish is nothing special and the steak is great. If you have children, it's your best bet. Remember, Rockport is a dry town so you have to BYOWine. For lunch, try the Greenery restaurant at the bottom of Bearskin Neck.

I love Cape Ann and also think the Lobster Pool is great. I like sitting outside in the back. Farhnams is also a good choice. I agree with the earlier stated opinion re: "My Place". It seems too touristy to me. We tried a place in Gloucester called "Passports" which was nice.

Also, not food related, but go to "Halibut State Park" and take a nice long walk while you are in the area. It is quite beautiful. Also, go to the "Paper House" , that's right...a house made entirely of newspaper. It's really wild. Also, Hammond Castle Museum is fun.

Have a great time!

-Paulazuchef

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. We did not get to Lobster Pool, but did eat at Ithaki :biggrin:

Essex Seafood (twice) :wub::wub::wub:

Boulevard Oceanview (for Portuguese food)

Mad Fish Grille (my husband ate there last year and loved it; I found the food to be way too busy, with too much going on in each dish; also, the service was teenage-anorexic-clueless, as in "What is that beer like?" "Oh, I have no idea." "Well, would you mind finding out?" "What? Oh, I guess so.")

Woodman's (I had to see if it was as awful as people say. It wasn't, but it couldn't hold a candle to Essex Seafood)

Stone Soup, but for lunch -- we didn't realize that dinner was totally different. Lunch was okay, but not the orgasmic experience dinner is supposed to be.

Thanks for the update, Suzanne. Sounds like a great trip, hopefully the weather was a little cooler for you near the coast. I'm going to have to try Essex Seafood--between your endorsement and the mention in the Times today, I have to check it out.

Hope the smiley means you liked Ithaki!

Oh, yes, Ithaki was excellent. They had a special of grilled swordfish on squid-ink capeletti, which just melting (the fish, that is; the pasta was perfectly al dente). They also used the capelleti, fried, as a garnish on a scallop special that was kind of busy, but really good. We also had a halibut special that was superb, the fish was soooo fresh, and the feta mashed potatoes were something I could live on. And while I was kind of disappointed in the bland roast figs in my dessert, the honey and yogurt with them more than made up for it.