• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Wines go with Chinese Food?

Tepee

[...]

I think in China, to drink Liquors were made from grains are mostly common. For example, Wuliangye, Mao Tai, Jian Nan Chuan, etc. are the most popular brand. I read an article said the amount of liquors were consumed by Chinese people is equal a whole West Lake in Hangzhou every year.

The large amount of grain used in traditional Chinese spirit production is one of the reasons that the Chinese government is offically 'pushing' grape wine as the drink of choice at banquets.

Besides the reduction in taxes placed on imported wine (which was because of the terms of the WTO agreement) and encouraging the consumption of Chinese grape wine, the government now only serves grape-derived wine at official state banquets to 'set an example'. Since grapes can grow where grain cannot, they are trying hard to decrease the amount of grain which is diverted to make Chinese-style liquors (and also beer :shock: ), thus increasing the potential for grain self-sufficiency.

[....]

Alsace Gewurztraminer 1991 Zind Humbrecht Domaine Heimbourg

One of the best plots of the one of the best producers in a good year.

Delicious with Chinese food with its lychee notes and slight sweetness.

Rhone 1996 Cornas A Clappe.

Stand up to anything

Canada 2000 Paradise Ranch Merlot Icewine

Sweet sticky for pud

I was at Zind Humbrecht earlier this year and while tasting various wines, I kept on thinking to myself...hmmm this would definitely go with XXXX, where XXXX was nearly always a Chinese dish! :smile:

I wish we could have tasted some of their older vintages like that 1991 Gewurtz...but I'm not complaining -we bought some back to age (well, we could only afford two bottles....)! I look forward to cooking up some dishes to go with them in the future....

And I'm really happy that someone affirms an affinity between Northern Rhone wines and Chinese food (pls excuse Homer-like drooling....lamb jiaozi and Cornas....yum) :biggrin:

As for the Icewine - what a great way to end a meal...but then again, the Okangan Valley rules! We just finished off a Cedar Creek Platinum Reserve Pinot Noir with some Honey-Garlic pork, gailan and rice - it was Very Good.

And make mine another vote for Champagne - particularly demisecs that are on the lighter side of the dosage. Actually (on a Malay note), the other day we opened some Pol Roger Rich to go with some Nonya food - and it was very, very pleasant!!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>