• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fresh fish in Philadelphia?

Where can I buy fresh sushi-grade tuna in Northwest Philly (preferably Manayunk/Roxborough/Conshy area)? I'm only making seared tuna steaks, but since I'm a poor student I don't splurge on this stuff too often. Are the supermarkets OK for buying tuna for searing? And if so, is one better than the other (Acme, ShopRite, Giant, Clemens)? And while I'm on the subject, anyone have any ideas for a good soy-wasabi type glaze? Thanks.

For seared steaks, the supermarket stuff will do, but you often will find its cut too thin to sear and leave you with a rare center if you like it that way.

My fave is John Yi in the Terminal, but that might be out of your way. Can't help you w/ NW Philly.

For fresh fish in NW Philly, I would recommend Groben Seafood at 6833 Germantown Avenue (in Mt. Airy), phone number 215-843-4717. I have always been pleased with the fish that I've purchased there (usually salmon), and they are very professional. Next door to the fishmarket is a take out restaurant where you can get a good fried fish sandwich. But what I really like are the dozens of signs posted all over the place with motivational phrases. It makes the place have a very positive feel!

Do yourself a favor and check out Weavers Way Coop at Green and Carpenter in Mt Airy. You'll find more to your liking than just fresh fish.

I've been a member there for a zillion years. Even for a poor student I think the $30./year membership will be more than paid for by the savings. The work requirement is hardly burdensome, only 6 hours a year per adult in a household. You will get better than supermarket quality for less than supermarket prices and sufficient variety to all but eliminate the need to shop elsewhere (even for pets).

They carry organic produce, chicken, meat, and dairy at much better prices than the supermakets. They also carry conventional groceries. All produce is labeled for it's origin. You can find excellent artisan bakery bread, cheeses, nuts, grains, etc. and other "luxury" foods, including tubs of freshly made pestos, various salads, and deli, etc. Some items are made specially for WW. They get their fish from Samuels, bread from LeBus, Metropolitan, an Night Kitchen, their cheese, olives, etc. from (I believe) Claudio's, and carry Bell & Evans Chickens, and D'Artagnan duck breasts.

When I supplement the coop's offerings it tends to be the farmers'or Italian markets, the Reading Terminal, TJ's, or WF (non-hormone, antibiotic meats). Now that my old cat's died and I no longer need Gerbers' baby food meats, I hardly ever go to the supermarket except to stock up on Ivins Halloween-available-only gingersnaps at Acme or to lay in a store of the StoneGroundWheat crackers the coop's discontinued carrying.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

You should really check out Hanareum (sp?), which is a Korean supermarket located at the intersection of Broad & Cheltenham. Not exactly NW Philadelphia, but it is a very short drive down Cheltenham.

They carry sashimi grade tuna and other fish at great prices. They also carry basic salmon filets, chicken, beef, and amazing produce at great prices. I forget how the prices run on take-out sushi, but it is very fresh.

Also, for great life-on-a-budget items, check out the frozen gyoza, dumplings, and shumai... It is a great way to entertain on a shoe string.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

You should really check out Hanareum (sp?), which is a Korean supermarket located at the intersection of Broad & Cheltenham.  Not exactly NW Philadelphia, but it is a very short drive down Cheltenham.

They carry sashimi grade tuna and other fish at great prices.  They also carry basic salmon filets, chicken, beef, and amazing produce at great prices.  I forget how the prices run on take-out sushi, but it is very fresh.

Also, for great life-on-a-budget items, check out the frozen gyoza, dumplings, and shumai... It is a great way to entertain on a shoe string.

aww man ,thats what Iwas gonna say,the banchan section is great too.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream