• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating after work

taryn

Also in the area I think that Zakkushi Charcoal Grill might be open until 1 weekends but this is something I might have to investigate further.

Zakkushi is open until midnight from Sunday through Thursday and until 1:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

If it wasn't for late night dining, my wife and I would have never seen each other. It was a great opportunity to relax and unwind post shift. Thanks Neil and Joan for the many great late nights at the HSG!

As for NU, we have decided to stay open till 1am for food and drinks. It seems to work for the industry and hotel referred guests. We will see what winter brings us for the late night.

Leonard

NU

While visiting Vancouver recently I was attracted to a established Chinese Restaurant that had the right feel and ambiance for a late night wind down type of place similar to many in Hong Kong, San Francisco, Seattle or anywhere with a proliferation of Chinese Restaurants. Sort of tacky but busy with no pretensions.

Since I have spent so many years eating out after working dinner or lunch shifts at busy restaurants I always am attracted to places open late at night that feel right. It not unusual for food services workers to require a place to meet or eat after work and I'm glad that I found such a place in Vancouver.

The place I stumbled on is named: "On Lok Restaurant & Wonton House" located at, 2010 East Hastings open from 11:00 AM until 2:00 AM or later.

It has parking, with a left side "Roast Window" and right side "Congee/Noodle Window" with cashier next to Roast Display.

The prices are very reasonable compared to the other places I tried in Vancouver but the portions are very generous, service is quick and items such as Sui Kow or Kup Dai Congee are very acceptable. We enjoyed late snacks there and brought back to our room at the "Sylvia Hotel" Congees and Fried Bread for Breakfast.

I was not surprised at the amount of workers stopping in to have a meal during the time we were eating at the place as I didn't see many places that were open so late as busy.

I will ad that Vancouver and the Okenagan [Fruit Season] areas are now my favorite places to visit for eating out.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

A new option in kits: Abigail's Party on Yew St. in the old Tangerine spot, well I guess it's not that old seeing as it's been less than a month. I believe the plan is to be open until 2am. I can't say yet how the food is, but the cocktail list looks excellent. Anyone else tried?

If it wasn't for late night dining, my wife and I would have never seen each other. It was a great opportunity to relax and unwind post shift. Thanks Neil and Joan for the many great late nights at the HSG!

As for NU, we have decided to stay open till 1am for food and drinks. It seems to work for the industry and hotel referred guests. We will see what winter brings us for the late night.

Leonard

NU

Leonard, I have two responses for you:

1. My love and I also have a particular fond memory of the night that going out for a drink after work became our "first date". Mine was at Bin 941, personally.

2. I work at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, and I have guests in our lounge constantly asking where to go for food late at night. Good to know that Nu will be open, as well for myself at the end of the night! I wish you success on behalf of all of us that love nothing more than to have a great place that we can rely on after work.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

Everybody's mentioned the Bins already. 941 is jam-packed with restaurant staff. Fun if you don't really know anybody to try to guess which restaurant people work in. The kitchen is open 'til one a.m. and the food is fantastic. If you arrive at 12:55 and order fast they'll still cook anything you want. This is HUGE 'cause it's not every place that will do this. For kitchen staff it's a real hassle to cook food once the mise-en-place is covered up and put into the main fridge. These guys and gals ALWAYS do it with a grim smile. I would reccomend throwing a beer for the three of them on your bill if you come in last minute.

Brix is another spot that is crowded with us restaurant vermin. The kitchen is open late and the patio's packed with smokers. The pizza's really good.

A word about Nu: Great place to send people for desserts. We've sent a few people already. The portions sizes are two or three bites, which is often all that people really need/want after a hefty steak. At four or five bucks each, they're amazing value as well. If they're from out-of-town pack them in a cab and you know they'll have a good time.

Been going to that Chinese place on the corner of Granville and Davie lately. Phonetically it's called Sue Hang. I know this isn't the name, but I don't know how to spell it. Open really late but way too bright. Like a Seatlle strip club. ; ) Food arrives alarmingly fast. Well-prepared though with a humungous menu.

The Keg on Thurlow is also open late. Like 'til 1 am on most nights, 'til midnight on Sundays and holidays. The lounge is very comfortable and the music is good. Lights go up at two subtly pushing you out the door.

The Earl's on Robson is where Cin Cin goes after work and they're open quite late as well. Like 'til 1 on weekdays and I think 'til 2 on weekends. Cannot be sure. Had a terrible service experience there this spring and I've had an aversion to that place ever since. It was so bad that if I want to go back I'm gonna have to talk to a manager about it before I go.

Since the redesign it's pretty chi-chi and really comfortable for the after-work-wind-down.

Z/S?ubees onthe corner of Homer and Smythe is fun too. The late night menu is available 'til one a.m. (then the lights go up and you're ordered out.) Closes at midnight on Sundays.

The service can be indifferent, but I usually sit at the bar where you're almost always within voice range of a bartender.

They have a shrimp dish which I had once, where there were 20 medium sized shrimp on the plate for eight bucks. Don't know how they make money on that one. The beef burger is really good and served with a great musclun green salad and fries with a really good aioli sauce.

Good wine list and wines by the glass list too. Amusing cocktail list with a story and attitude behind every cocktail.

I'm hoping that Saltlik will open late when it opens on Alberni. Been to the Banff store quite a few times and really enjoyed it.

I think that it would be useful to be specific about times that the kitchens close in this thread as that is always one of the primary issues when you're gathering workmates for some late night noshing. There are some restaurants that I mentioned where I was pretty vague about kitchen closing times, but I will look into this and report back.

I always find it useful to have the phone numbers of my fave spots programmed on my phone so that I can call ahead and make sure they can feed us.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends