• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego Cheep Eatz mini-reviews

mizducky

Probably not. Cant see into the kitchen to tell. I'll ask next time I go, if I remember.

I want to see the giant bin of black-ripe plantains they must have back there. Nearly every dinner comes with maduros in abundance.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 5 months later...

Good for a snack ; the Korean Grocery on Convoy, next to the back wall of Jasmine.

Got this 'cream' bun there - no cream in the ingredients, but beans are there.

It was much appreciated by the small hungry person who consumed most of it, but couldnt finish it all.

2011-01-22  creme bun from korean grocery.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 4 months later...

An acceptable lunch, not great. Quick, inexpensive: Tan Ky Mi Gia on Black Mountain Rd at Mira Mesa Blvd.

Lunch for two, with coffee and soda and tip was under $20.

Barbecue pork bahn mi - my friend enjoyed this very much. The peppers inside were breathtaking, literally.

2012-06-12 download 059.jpg

Chicken curry soup w vermicelli (also blocks of congealed blood) - Bun Ca Ri Ga. Tasty, tender chicken. Mild curry, slightly sweet.

2012-06-12 download 060.jpg

Menu, prices. This place has a much smaller menu that most of our local Vietnamese places, which run to small print and a dozen pages. This was only 4 pages.

2012-06-12 download 058.jpg

2012-06-12 download 056.jpg2012-06-12 download 054.jpg

• 3 years later...

This thread used to be lively and fun... Time to revive it! :)

From this weekend, at Sab-E-Lee's new larger and much more comfortable location on Linda Vista road, a minute away from the previous one (which still exists with a more limited menu), a delicious duck larb. The only complaint was the cabbage on the side. I don't know if that is typical or not, but I prefer some nice lettuce...

Sab-E-Lee

Next time I want to try their version of beef & tendon soup!

27026786576_f0b71595bd_b.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 4

That larb looks luscious. I like the comment on the heat scale at the bottom of the menu. xD

Thanks for reviving this topic!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wa Dining Okan for lunch. This is a tiny Japanese place (20 seats, half of them around a central "bar"), cash only (like Sab-E-Lee actually), on Convoy, next to a very nice smaller Japanese market, Nijiya. The style seems to be Japanese home/comfort food, at least for lunch. It's unpretentious and everything is very well prepared, with a lot of attention to detail. The selection of pickled vegetables seems to vary with each visit for example.

Here is the lunch with braised pork belly (ultra tender) and added mini bowl of tempura for my daughter. I think this was about $15.

I would prefer a softer boiled egg, but other than that, this is a fabulous lunch. I like that everything is served in wood or ceramic dishes (no cheap plastic here). And the miso soup, which is usually a very unmemorable item, is actually a highlight for me here.

Pork belly at Wa Dining Okan for lunch

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 3

Santouka Ramen is a Japanese chain and its San Diego branch is located inside the Mitsuwa supermarket on Kearny Mesa Road. The décor and ambiance are non existent, but the ramen is so delicious that you forget your surroundings in an instant, too busy slurping the rich broth and devouring the ultra-tender meat. I have tried other ramen places in San Diego, but this is still the reference for me.

I usually get the Tokusen toroniku ramen which is their specialty and has the most generous amount of pork of all options.

Santouka Ramen at Mitsuwa Market

• Like 2